• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric S
    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Window mechanism

Hello
    I tried to have the 1/4 window works well on my 60 coupe.
    RH window went fine after I tightened some nuts.
    However LH is more complicated and I fear I have to take off the whole assy to check what is going on in there.
    The roller keep popping out of the rail although I adjusted the rail and roller can not leave the rail when rail and roller are out of the frame. I guess it goes off the end but I never saw it leave the rail so I can't tell...

So anybody could point out a thread about the process to remove everything so I can see what is going bad. Unless it is really just an adjustment problem.

The best I can do (manual windows) is open and close but the bent in front guide can not be managed and even palying around and adjusting it I can barely have the window pass this curve.
    Anyhelp is welcome...
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Eric,

Do you have the shop manual. It has detailed instructions on how to adjust the quarter windows. It's possible you have a distorted rail which is causing the roller to pop out. You may also have a worn roller. I would take the rail out and make sure the opening and guides are not bent.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Eric S
      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

John

Yes I do have the manual but before I can even adjust the window position, I need to have the window up and down which seems impossible.
      That is why I asked how to take off the whole assy as the instructions in the shop manual are not clear for me.
      As I said the rail as been adjusted and when I try the roller alone in the rail (out of the frame) the roller can not leave the rail except on the ends.
      So I guess I need to move out the frame and see what is wrong.
      Just need to know how to...

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Eric,

The regulator assembly comes out the bottom opening. You need to remove the clip that holds the roller to the window frame and unbolt and remove the middle rail. Here's the parts diagram that will be a little clearer.

John
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jopizz; June 10, 2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Eric S
          Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

John

Any chance to get instructions to remove the whole asssy, including window and guides, not just regulator?
          I would like to inspect the moving parts...
          I removed and reinstalled the rail and roller 10 times today so this is now the easy part !

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The shop manual has the most detailed instructions there is. I don't know what else to tell you.

John

Comment

• partsetal
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 4 2005

Try this: Remove the adjusting screw at the bottom of the vertical rail (hockey stick), remove the stops at the back of the window (window piece and body piece); raise the window above the normal height and release the roller clips; remove the nuts on the equalizer bracket and maneuver the bracket to remove it from the roller; turn the adjusting screws all the way in at the top of the hockey stick; remove all the bolts holding the regulator; drop the regulator to the bottom after removing the pins from the window rollers; while tilting and lifting the window forward, maneuver the adjusting screws at the top of the hockey stick so they come free of the body opening. With some more maneuvering you should be able to lift the window with the hockey stick still attached out thru the opening.
              These instructions are from memory and will get you close enough so that you may find an easier solution. Good luck,
              Carl

Comment

• Eric S
                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Thank you Carl
                It makes better sense to me than the manual.
                I will give it a try in a few days. For now I stuck the window up and we'll be heading for a week long trip in the Alps in a few days.

Comment

• sidewalkman
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 14 2015

Should be cool enough to not overheat anyway.
                  Scott
                  South Delta, BC, Canada
                  1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                  Red Leather Interior!
                  www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                  Thunderbird Registry #61266
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Eric S
                    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Oh Yes
                    The forecast is very low for June. With 16°C / 60°F overheaing is not the main concern

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎