Gas tank - leaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank - leaking

I have a new gas tank, purchased Nov 2017. It was "Spectra Premium" Made in Canada from Ebay. Now it has started to leak after first time filling up the tank. The leak seems to be at the front seam. I note that seam gets bent by the straps but as I recall it was pre-bent in that area.

Supposedly this has a 3 year warranty so I will contact the seller and see what he says.

Should I buy a new tank? Any advice on which supplier or are they all the same?

Thanks for any and all advice.

John
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590

Spectra is the only company that makes the gas tanks so you are stuck with either getting a replacement from them (hopefully under warranty) or having yours repaired.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

I ordered a new tank (Spectra) from RockAuto. I need to get this car running for upcoming AACA show and can't fool around any longer. For those of you following my earlier posts, I did fix my heater core problem. Turns out the core was not bad, must have been leaking at the hose fittings and weeping into the heater box! 2 days spent on removal and replacement (my bad)

John
      John Orwin
      1960 HT 430
      VTCI #11290
      Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

I had a similar situation with my NEW gas tank. I bought it and sat on it for quite a while before I actually put gas in it. When I finally did start to use it, it was leaking by the fitting where you connect the fuel line. My only option was to take it to a radiator shop, have the tank cleaned and the fitting resoldered. After reading your post, I'm now questioning Sprectra's QC. Guess a good warning for anyone installing a new tank , would be to do a pressure test on the tank before you put gas in it.
        Nyles

Comment

Originally posted by orwin View Post
          I have a new gas tank, purchased Nov 2017. It was "Spectra Premium" Made in Canada from Ebay. Now it has started to leak after first time filling up the tank. The leak seems to be at the front seam. I note that seam gets bent by the straps but as I recall it was pre-bent in that area.

Supposedly this has a 3 year warranty so I will contact the seller and see what he says.

Should I buy a new tank? Any advice on which supplier or are they all the same?

Thanks for any and all advice.

John
          I would bet they want to replace the tank. Find out how much to repair the "new" tank-just to be prepared. Read your warranty carefully, then contact the manufacturer. I would speculate they want to replace the tank and not cover collateral damage like the cost of removal and reinstallation. That's why you need to need to get to someone at Spectra or Rock Auto ( they're both on the line warranty wise ) who can make some decisions outside the box and negotiate a solution that doesn't wind up costing you time and money.

Dean

Comment

Another question about installing the new tank.

When I installed this tank, I worked on the tank sender through the hole in the trunk floor. Now that is all covered by the trunk mat which is glued down over insulation. Pictures show this BEFORE the mat went down.

The shop manual states to drop the tank enough to disconnect the wire. Has anyone done this successfully? My only alternative is to try to take up the trunk mat or slit and peel it back in the location of the sender cover. Neither is desirable - just planning ahead.

Thank,
            John
            John Orwin
            1960 HT 430
            VTCI #11290
            Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

The trunk mat should not be glued to the insulation. Only the pieces over the wheel wells and over the filler tube hump where there's no insulation gets glued. The insulation was glued to the floor from the factory with a round hole cut for access to the sender wire. The plate is screwed over top of the insulation.

John

Comment

John
                You should consider replacing the connection. The connectors on my car on the cig. lighter and gas tank were britle, cracked and the tank indicator was not working. I just put a new round connector held with a nut. Now it works.
                Would be too bad to come back at it later...

Comment

The trunk lining and insulation was installed by Riggs Bros. (local upholstery shop). I can't see the details but it does seem to be glued down on top of Dynamat insulation kit. That may not be how it was done by the factory, but it is what I am stuck with now.

It may pull off in one piece without destroying it but I am hesitant to try unless necessary. The wire & connector were in good shape and the gas gauge works fine, so I will leave that alone. As I said, the shop manual suggests disconnecting the wire from the bottom after partially dropping the tank, without removing the mat or cover. I don't know if there is enough slack for this but won't know until I get to it.

Thanks,

John

John Orwin
                  1960 HT 430
                  VTCI #11290
                  Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

I would take it back to the installer and get them to use heat or something to loosen the glue enough to pull it back. In no way shape or form should that mat be glued down the whole point is to have access to under the mat for just these situations. Anyone doing upholstery should know that. And like mentioned above, those connections will be brittle, replace them while you have access.
                    Scott
                    South Delta, BC, Canada
                    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                    Red Leather Interior!
                    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                    Thunderbird Registry #61266
                    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

There's very little slack on that wire so you have to be careful lowering the tank. It may just pop off the sender or it may break the connector off.

John

Comment

Working...
                      X