Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE RELOAD YOUR AVATAR. You shouldn't have any problems doing this, now. Thanks again for the delay but now it is over. - Dave
See more
See less

Gear Box Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Box Leak

I asked this before on my "Eric's 1960 T-Bird" bt did not get a reply and now this leak is confirmed from this part, which is where the stick tube enter in the cover.
    Is there any simple mean to fix this leak? Probably from inside...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eric S; June 10th, 2019, 12:23 PM.

So anybody can help me there?

Comment

The dipstick tube uses a flare fitting. There is no seal. It's possible the flare is bent or damaged in some way or the seat is dirty or damaged. You will need to remove the tube and check both the tube flare fitting and the seat.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thank you. Do I need to remove the pan or just the Tube?
        How then?

Comment

You just need to remove the tube. It screws off. Use a large open end wrench or large Crescent wrench. Just remember you will lose all your fluid when you do.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

I will have a look at it.
            Maybe I can try to tighten it first as it is leaking from the tube.

Comment

Well it is not really leaking from the tube but rather from where I made an arrow. The nut is well tight. I am not sure of what I will find inside should I take off the pan so not sure I want to go there.
              Attached Files

Comment

Taking the pan down is the only way to fix it. Tightening the nut will rotate the ferrule and only make it leak more. That ferrule is either spot welded or crimped to the pan and as I recall it can be fixed by brazing.
                Carl

Comment

Should I come to the decision to remove the gear box oil pan to see if this leak can be fixed, how do you remove the oil?
                  Do you pump it out of the tube or unscrew the nut on the bottom of the tube and let it go?

Eric

Comment

Just unscrew the large nut of the tube and the fluid will come out. Are you sure the leak is not coming from the pan seal and dripping down on the ferrule?
                    sigpicFrank
                    1958 T-Bird "Trov„o Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
                    Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

I am pretty sure. I put a paper tape around the Box and I have no oil mark dripping over the tape.
                      When we change the oil during regular maintenance we have to unscrew the large nut?

Comment

By removing the large nut, it is the easiest way to drain the fluid from the pan before removal. I guess you could disconnect the dip stick tube from the engine block support and then drop the pan down with the tube attached, but this could be difficult and you would probably need to have the car on a lift. The large tube is very much like a flare fitting on your fuel system, just much bigger. It sure looks like the flare fitting that is attached to the pan is leaking. I had a similar failure on my NEW fuel tank where the fuel line connected. Had to have the tank cleaned and the fitting welded/brazed.

Comment

Working...
                        X