X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric S
    started a topic Gear Box Leak

Gear Box Leak

I asked this before on my "Eric's 1960 T-Bird" bt did not get a reply and now this leak is confirmed from this part, which is where the stick tube enter in the cover.
    Is there any simple mean to fix this leak? Probably from inside...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eric S; June 10th, 2019, 12:23 PM.

• Eric S
    replied
    Should I come to the decision to remove the gear box oil pan to see if this leak can be fixed, how do you remove the oil?
    Do you pump it out of the tube or unscrew the nut on the bottom of the tube and let it go?

Eric

Leave a comment:

• partsetal
    replied
    Taking the pan down is the only way to fix it. Tightening the nut will rotate the ferrule and only make it leak more. That ferrule is either spot welded or crimped to the pan and as I recall it can be fixed by brazing.
    Carl

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    Well it is not really leaking from the tube but rather from where I made an arrow. The nut is well tight. I am not sure of what I will find inside should I take off the pan so not sure I want to go there.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    I will have a look at it.
    Maybe I can try to tighten it first as it is leaking from the tube.

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    You just need to remove the tube. It screws off. Use a large open end wrench or large Crescent wrench. Just remember you will lose all your fluid when you do.

John

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    Thank you. Do I need to remove the pan or just the Tube?
    How then?

Leave a comment:

• jopizz
    replied
    The dipstick tube uses a flare fitting. There is no seal. It's possible the flare is bent or damaged in some way or the seat is dirty or damaged. You will need to remove the tube and check both the tube flare fitting and the seat.

John

Leave a comment:

• Eric S
    replied
    So anybody can help me there?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X