Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a flare gasket on a power steering pump - good or bad idea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a flare gasket on a power steering pump - good or bad idea?

I'm not convinced that a flared tube will seal on a flat seat with an O ring as the primary seal. See the first photo. Yet that's exactly the way it came apart. When I inspected the parts taken apart I could not see evidence of any contact between the O ring and the tube. I suppose that the "crushability" of the steel flared tube is meant to provide the primary seal with the flat seat. When I got the car there was no fluid in the pump as the valve and ram leaked freely even without a load.
    I checked with Carl Heller and he opened up 3 pumps and found one had an intact O ring, one had nothing but the flare and one had the remains of an O ring. (Thanks Carl for that effort)
    I experimented with using a copper flare saver gasket. From the second picture you can see that the flare did make contact with the seat and did "crush" appearing to provide a good seal. But I haven't tested it yet. Does anyone know the operating pressure of the pump? Possibly an air pressure test would be decisive.
    The hole thru the copper gasket is marginally smaller than either the tube or the seat. I'm not sure what the effect will be. This is a 5/16 gasket - 3/8 is available.
    Any thoughts positive or negative are appreciated.

I've seen some older pumps that had adapters between the pump and the hose. I imagine a flare to NPT adapter would work. I've never given it much thought. I can't say I've ever had an issue with leaking at the hose connection.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Mine is a 430, which is a different pump, but I used the old line with a flare and did not see any O-ring.
      Still trying to figure out where you found and O-ring and it's purpose?
      59-430-HT

Comment

Its hard to see but in the first picture there is a O ring around the seat in the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by p38fighter View Post
          Its hard to see but in the first picture there is a O ring around the seat in the pump.
          Is that there because the insert is not sealed somehow against the pump body?
          Here are inserts I used on a 2000 mustang hydroboost, to convert to flare.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/70%20EB...T/DCP02905.JPG

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/70%20EB...T/DCP02906.JPG

(then I converted flare to AN, but that's kind of irrelevant)

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/70%20EB...T/DCP02907.JPG
          59-430-HT

Comment

Today I had an old time mechanic friend of mine look at it. He said the purpose of the o ring was to seal the seat to the pump body. He said the seat was removable ( you drive a screw into it and pry it out). He also said - as Joe Pizz indicated - that the flare will mate to the seat with no leak unless some damage has occurred. So I will assemble it as is and see how it goes. Thanks OX1 for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by p38fighter View Post
              Today I had an old time mechanic friend of mine look at it. He said the purpose of the o ring was to seal the seat to the pump body. He said the seat was removable ( you drive a screw into it and pry it out). He also said - as Joe Pizz indicated - that the flare will mate to the seat with no leak unless some damage has occurred. So I will assemble it as is and see how it goes. Thanks OX1 for your interest.
              Yeah, you have to seal the insert to body somehow. I've never seen one that seals on top of it though.
              Guess it works..................
              59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
              X