A matter of Timing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A matter of Timing

Recommended timing for the 1960 FE 352 is between 2-10 degrees BTDC. I get it. I use 91-92 octane gasoline with timing set at 6*and the engine seems to miss a few beats at the top RPM under full throttle.

Most prior discussions here seem to recommend the factory settings, except for one owner that thought 12-14* or so was superior for todays gasolines. Whatever works is the usual answer, but I tried 12* and it seems to run "livelier" with less miss.

Running that Petronix electronic ignition, new cap and rotor, new Motorcraft wires, and Autolite 45 copper resister plugs set at .35. I have no clue if the carb was tuned for Denver where it came from, but I adjusted the mixture screws for max RPM.

The engine runs terrific except for this full load max RPM hiccup.

Dean

I like setting the timing at 8 or 9 degrees. I find I get better acceleration and it runs cooler. Anything higher and I get pinging and slow cranking when hot. Is the hiccup or hesitation when the secondary throttle kicks in. That's pretty normal.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz View Post
      I like setting the timing at 8 or 9 degrees. I find I get better acceleration and it runs cooler. Anything higher and I get pinging and slow cranking when hot. Is the hiccup or hesitation when the secondary throttle kicks in. That's pretty normal.

John
      John, I know knocking or pinging, and this isn't it. The engine has never pinged. It's like a miss or two, I hope and not pre-detonation, at full throttle only at "high" RPM just before she's ready to shift into a higher gear. Almost like it's "breaking up" just before shifting.

The plugs look good, and like I said, everything is new. I'm thinking it occurred even before I put new parts on.- Dean

Comment

It sounds like you adjusted your carburetor with a tach. I recommend a vacuum gauge instead. In my opinion that gives a much more accurate adjustment than using a tach.

John

Comment

Interesting John. Can you be suggesting lean out conditions can cause misfire? This was a Denver area car and probably could run a leaner mixture than Ohio. I'll try the vacuum gauge. It's another tool I hadn't used since the 1990's like the timing light and dwell tach. - Dean

Comment

Certainly a lean condition will cause a misfile on acceleration. Have you checked the float height. If they are too low that will also cause a misfire on acceleration.

John

Comment

Certainly a lean condition will cause a misfile on acceleration. Have you checked the float height. If they are too low that will also cause a misfire on acceleration.

John
              John, I read the manual which explains the 4100 float branch set. Is there a method to adjust the floats on the engine?. I have an electric fuel pump, so I shouldnít catch the car on fire. I thought it might be similar to a Holley, but it doesnít seem to be. - Dean

Comment

You have to take the top off the carb to adjust the floats. It can be done on the car without making a mess. Just remove the air cleaner post, the screws and the choke clip.

John

Comment

The vacuum gauge is more sensitive than a dwell tach. I pulled 1/2 inch HG more adjusting the mixture screws. I canít say whatís normal, but I get a fairly steady18.

i recall my dadís 1972 Impala with a 350 2 bbl could pull a steady 20, while my 350 Z28 was an erratic 14. - Dean

Comment

Certainly the type of cam you're running and wear and tear will affect the vacuum greatly. I was able to pull close to 22 on my last stock rebuilt 352.

John

Comment

I had something similar happen before, turns out the fuel pump was going out and I was running out of fuel

Comment

Certainly the type of cam you're running and wear and tear will affect the vacuum greatly. I was able to pull close to 22 on my last stock rebuilt 352.

John
                        Both of you make me think. My engine was re-built at 72,000 miles and she has 85,000 now. It was a stock re-build .30 over. Plugs look good. Engine runs good except for a miss or two full throttle high RPM.

I can see where this could be anything from fuel pressure to jets to floats to worn distributor.

Dean

Comment

Try separating the No.7 and No. 8 spark plug wires as much as possible. The fact that they are next to each other can cause a misfire if the wires are too close to one another. Page 2-6 in the 1960 shop manual shows the correct way the No.7 spark plug wire should be run.

John
                          Last edited by jopizz; April 18th, 2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Try separating the No.7 and No. 8 spark plug wires as much as possible. The fact that they are next to each other can cause a misfire if the wires are too close to one another. Page 2-6 in the 1960 shop manual shows the correct way the No.7 spark plug wire should be run.

John
                            Iíll check it out. This crossed my mind when I saw 2 and 3 spark plug wires that want to touch. Thanks. - Dean

Comment

I checked pages 2-6 of the 1960 shop manual. The picture had the spark plug wires separated over the valve covers about mid-engine. I thought that was fine until I opened my hood and the wire separators welded to the valve covers toward the engine front. I forgot that, and this configuration lends to the inner cylinder wires touching. I checked out other Squarebirds and 90% were configured like mine.

So I bought some extra spark plug wire separators and did the best I could at keeping the wires from touching near the plugs. We'll see. - Dean

Comment

Working...
                              X