1960 Convertible Top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Convertible Top

So, in hind sight, maybe I should have consulted the forum before going all in and removing the roof to prepare the frame for the new top that Ive bought - but hey.........where is the fun in that?
    My question is, has anyone ever replaced their roof before?
    If so, any tips, tricks etc?

Are you talking about just the fabric or doing work on the frame also. I just rebuilt my 59 top frame but had a top shop install the top material. Before you go too far check the front header for rot under the weather-strip (very common) and also rot in the 4th bow (around the rear window). You will probably have to replace the tack strip in any event. Are you replacing the weather-strip also?
    Carl Heller (partsetal) has the tack strip and also a screw kit for the top.

If its frame repair I can help you but not so much on installing the fabric. Good luck with it.

Comment

Yeah talking about the fabric and the frame. I have removed the old fabric. All the tack strips need replacing. I was looking at the front header last night and it doesn't look too bad. I was going to try and remove it but then thought I should maybe ask some questions before I do. I was hoping to clean the frame up nicely and then attempt to install the fabric myself but there seems to be very little info about doing it

Comment

There are several You Tube videos of top replacement that can provide an overview and even one on a 59 Thunderbird. It is weak on details but again it is an overview. Carl

Comment

Okay- first take many pictures of the frame and all the joints. One of the biggest parts problem is in getting new nylon bushings. All of mine came apart in pieces big and small. I was lucky that I knew a machinist that worked with me to make them. All the joints come apart by driving out roll pins. Make sure you label each joint and its particular pin - there are multiple lengths. Also label what's left of any bushing so you can put them back in the right location when you get new ones.
          After you have fixed the frame you must make sure that it sits square on the car and that the windows meet the weatherstrips reasonably well.
          In the trunk is where most of the top adjustments take place. I used tape to mark the starting position of the adjustment bolts so I would know what adjustment caused the top frame to move in a certain way. There is information in the TRL I believe on adjusting but it is really trial and retrial.
          And now is the time to replace the hydraulic hoses since you can get to them easily.
          The tack strip will deform under pressure. I learned from Carl Heller how to make a retainer which will prevent that from happening. See below
          I have many more detail photos which I can send to you if you need them. send me a PM with your email address if you want.

Comment

How do you get the front header off?

Comment

Assuming you have removed the old fabric and the weatherstrip. In this picture you can see the two bolts that pass through. Remove the bolts on both sides and the header will slide off. You may have to put a block of wood on the end and hammer lightly to get it started. Make a mark on the end of the header so you will know how far it should go back on when you assemble it.

Comment

There may also be some screws in the front of the roof-rail weatherstrip section.
                Carl

Comment

Thanks guys. I had removed the bolts and the screws at the front but just could work out how it came off. Iíll get the persuader out as suggested and see if it moves that way. Thanks again for all the advice. I so have no idea what Iím doing

Comment

Working...
                  X