Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toddgilroy
    Experienced
    • Aug 30 2014

Eric - Two manuals that are indispensable for Tbird restoration are the shop manual and the Ford Car Parts and Accessories Catalog. If you order the catalog, I recommend getting the one with both the text and illustrations. You can order it to download the .pdf file or you can get it on CD-ROM. The parts listing I posted above is a screenshot of the page with the splash shield hardware. Year = 60, Model = S (Thunderbird).

Here is a link to the catalog: http://www.mre-books.com/shopmanuals/cd10042.html
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Eric S
      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I have this manual although the 1949-1959! However my brain is old school and I have some difficulties with digital stuff.
      I have the ILLUSTRATION and the TEXT versions, I just need to learn how to use them now.

Comment

• Eric S
        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

And I missed those screws when I was looking at the manual this morning !!!
        Nevertheless there is 2 different sorts of screws and the ones that goes in the cage nut are well 1/4-20 as on AMK Guide. However on my car I had on the bottom of the guard some kind of "wood screws" with large thread intended to screw in steel and not nuts, like the ones we can see on the drawing.
        Beside when I use 354476-S on AMK Shop by Part# it does not show any.

Comment

• toddgilroy
          Experienced
          • Aug 30 2014

That is correct...AMK does not carry the exact same item, but they do have something that is pretty close. The item is the middle is just slightly different, but I think it would be fine in this application. The OD on the original screw is 5/8 inch and the item in the middle is 9/16 inch.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Todd Gilroy
          1960 Tbird Convertible
          Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Eric S
            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

OK and I understand that AMK do not use Ford's part numbers but their own !
            So should I am looking for a Ford part number found in the manual, how can I find it with AMK?

Comment

• Eric S
              Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

As for installing the replacement SEAL KIT FOR SPLASH SHIELDS I asked for installation advice and here is what I got from 2 different people :
              1. Originally they were stapled on. So I use metal wire/rod and feed it through the staple holes (or make my one) and twist the metal over on the backside. That way from the front it looks original. I don't think a glue would hold it onto the panels.
              2 The splash shield seals were originally stapled to the steel. Some do this manually inserting the staples and bending the legs over. I use weatherstrip glue and at the end of the seal and at a sharp curve I use a small 5/16" pop rivet to secure it should the glue fail.

I think I will glue it in place so it is well in place and then either try to re-use the staples or make new ones from steel wire.
              Last edited by Eric S; February 2, 2019, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• Eric S
                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

As I am preparing the parts to install the splash guards I was wondering if I should use the bolts as I removed them (that is dirty black) or nickel them so they would match the new bolts (those that go on cage nuts)?
                Just wondering how were those bolts out of the assembly line?
                Not big deal either way, just curiosity...
                Last edited by Eric S; February 23, 2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Eric S
                  Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Well as I had no reply I applied zinc (not nickel as said on my previous message) and have nice and shiny nuts for the splash guards...

Comment

• Eric S
                    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

When I installed the splash guard rubbers, I made some measure on passenger's side and noticed the splash guard itself was pretty close to the car's fender and I determined the location of the rubber was not critical.
                    So I glued and pinned the driver's side the same but there I had a gap. Just wondering if this gap is found on other cars as I don't plan to do it again...
                    So what about yours?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Eric S; March 17, 2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Eric S
                      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

So what about yours?

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡