No announcement yet.

Wipers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used 5oo mls from a disposable water bottle. I drilled a hole in the lid and when I started the engine, the brake fluid was immediately sucked into the engine and collapsed the water bottle.
    As mentioned, it smoked alot - but the wipers still work great after 5 years.

Comment

Harry,
      Help me understand this. For the fluid to be sucked into the engine immediately you would have had to have your water bottle connected to the vent tube on the forward side of the wiper motor. I looked at that following instructions in the TRL but there was no way I could get access and fit a hose on this vent with the wiper motor still mounted. How did you do it?
      Carl

Comment

I had the whole glovebox and lower dash apart when I did it, but I could reach the lower port just enough to push the tube ( I used old vacuum tube) on. It was about 2' long then had the Tupperware container sitting on the floor with brake fluid with the tube in it. But it literally takes a few seconds for it to suck through, and the amount of smoke it unbelievable, looks like the motor is blown. I did mine over a year ago and the wipers are still working perfect. I'm in the final stages of getting the electric washer working, I wired a micro switch into the stock vacuum switch and just have to wire it to a wire off the ignition.
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
        Red Leather Interior!
        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
        Thunderbird Registry #61266
        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Carl,
          I followed the instructions shown in the TRL titled Gil's Garage - Improving Windshield Wiper Function. As shown in this article, I attached a small hose from the wiper motor to the water bottle containing brake fluid. I did not need to remove the wiper motor, but I can't recall how much, if any, of the dash I took apart. Good luck, Harry

Comment

Same for me! I was wondering how I could access to the motor to plug in a hose so I removed it finally. Once I stuck this small part on the fuel pump I will have the motor connected and tested with the car's engine running to see how it works. I already put about 1 glass of brake fluid in it and it works better.
            As a side note, a pair of you mentioned a hose from the switch to the motor. On mine the motor is activated with a cable from the switch to the motor.
            I will check for defroster ducts at https://www.wilsontbird.com/ but at 80$ the pair (I need only one), I may try to repair mine...
            Last edited by Eric S; January 13th, 2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric S View Post
              As a side note, a pair of you mentioned a hose from the switch to the motor. On mine the motor is activated with a cable from the switch to the motor.
              Sorry, the actual wipers have a cable, the washer has the hose running to the wiper motor.
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

does anyone know the difference between the 58 and the 59-60 ducting?

Comment

Each side of the 59-60 ducts exit directly to the windshield. The two 58 ducts make a sharp turn and exit into a steel duct that is just below the windshield, just about full width. This steel duct has holes in it that then exit to the windshield.
                  Carl

Comment

My wiper motor is back in place and works so I would like to summarize here for any future reader to find a full procedure.
                    1. establish that the motor is at fault. Check cables by turning by hand 1 wiper it should acitvate the other one.
                    2. Remove the plate under the dashboard and glove box door. Remove the motor* by removing the glove box and defrost duct. If they are originals they will probably break. Glove box can be replaced for a few $$.
                    Put a protection over air blower so you do not have anything going in there.
                    3. Make picture of the motor cable installation. I used tape on one each of the right and left cable and noted on a paper the path of each cable in relation to each cable grooves.
                    4. Unscrew the bolt on center of cable wheel and compress the cable tension hooks with a plier making sure you do not cruch cable grooves (or you may not be able to remove cables from grooves)
                    5. Remove cable and put them out of your way.
                    6. Unscrew 2 nuts holding the motor, pop out the main hose coming from the right through the firewall and the smaller washer hose coming from the left under the dashbord.
                    Remove switch cable.
                    7. Check here to clean the motor : https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/WiperFunc.php
                    * You can clean it with motor in place but then 1. should you find a way to install the hose into the corresponding port while the motor is in place 2. you should feel confident injecting under your dashboard liquid fluid !
                    You have to use brake fluid for that and it seems to prevent air leaks. I tried with thin oil first but it did not made it. You can connect your motor to the hose coming up from the gas pump and entering the firewall just behind the motor but I used a pump (see below) This way I did not have much if any liquid brake burnt in the engine with the smoke that comes with it.
                    8. Check the hose going to the fuel pump for obstruction and check the connection down there. You may want to close the smaller washer hose that comes out of the vacuum tee although I did not had to even though my car's washers do not work anymore and I do not plan to repair that. This would allow 100% of succion made on the wipers' motor.
                    9. Check the motor when connected to the hose with engine running and test its force by hand to give you an idea.
                    10. Connect the plate with cable wheels checking left and right on your picture. You can install it upside down but then there is a spring for which you may add or lack pre-load, rest position will be affected and you may not be able to install the cables.
                    11. Loosen the nut on cable wheel, compress the cable hook with a wrench and retighten the nut. This will allow installation of the cables.
                    10. Slide under the dashboard and connect motor to the hose, washer hose and check function by activating the slide by hand.
                    From now make sure that you do not lock any cable/hose/electrical wire in there.
                    11. Connect switch cable and check one more time using the dashboard wiper switch.
                    12. Install the motor and check function before nuts are tight. You may (I did) need to move around the cable to allow it for full travel and full open / full close positions. Check that the cable wheel always comes to the same position at rest to the right when circuit is closed.
                    13.Connect the cables. Use again the picture and note made at 3 to engage the right cables on the right grooves and release the nut. I used a mirror to make sure the cables where well in the grooves/hooks. Then tighten the nut back.
                    14. Install back the defrost duct, glove box, bits and pieces and it should be it.

I must mention that I did opened the motor but it was useless as I did not saw anything dirty but I checked the gaskets.
                    Also the wipers did not function but motor was not frozen. When switched on the blades would rise straight and stay there until you take them down by hand so I assumed it was not a catastrophic failure.
                    The defrost duct was in bad shape and do not connect to the blower so I used an adequate shrinkable hose that hold the duct as the mounting holes are broken and made the blower more efficient.

I wanted to share my experience and findings here but you can also find everyhting explained with pictures here : http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...iper_motor.htm

Hope this help.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Eric S; January 13th, 2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X