Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wipers

Hello
    I had trouble with the windscreen wipers.
    They did not worked when I got the car. After checking the hoses' connection, they decived to move up and locks up there. When pushing them down by hand they went back up when starting the engine again. Whatever the switch position so I disconnected the hoses.
    Makes me feel the motor can be put alive again.
    I read the threads on the subject and understood that I should insert some penetrating oil in the motor from the central plug behinds the motor.
    Some concerns though
    1 The switch has no positive ON / OFF positions. It just goes from left to right with no positive end. Is that normal?
    2. The succion from the car's engine is "marginal". We can feel it when putting a finger on the hose but not so much. Is that enough?
    3. I connected a pump to the hose (in place of the engine) with switch to the right (open). I think this set up produce more vaccuum than what I current got from the car's. Then I can hear a whistling from behind the dash but the blades do not move ven with help.
    4. I have no easy access (I did not removed the glove box and defrozer hose yet) to behind the washer motor to plug hose to insert oil. Will it work if I push some oil backward from the exit (engine bay side) in the motor and vaccum it back (using a seringe or the like)? Even though it won't go through the whole motor...
    4. Does it make sense to check connections from the switch to the motor and from the firewall to the pump. I guess I will blow some air from the firewall to the pump (pump disconnected) but maybe it is useless as there is probably not much build up in there.

Any help is welcome hereone more time.

Eric

There are several connections of hoses that need to be sealed tight. On our Bird, when we had it, there was a vacuum reservoir mounted in the driver side front fender well...behind the splash shield, and it was not an air-conditioned Bird. Another culprit for leaks is the washer switch on the driver's side. Plus the hoses to the vacuum wiper motor itself. And the power brake hoses. All of these need a tight sealed connection. Many times we have found the hoses look perfect until bending them and the cracks are revealed. So good luck. I would recommend starting with the many hoses. Then there is the option of the electrical conversion.
    Austin

Comment

Thank you.
      Car has no A/C and washes has been removed.
      I do not plan an electric conversion.
      I will check hoses. Did not knew brake hoses were on the same network.

Comment

The vacuum hose to the power brake unit. The vacuum operated washer switch mounted to the left of the dashboard...
        and the vacuum hose to the distributor. And the vacuum hoses from the fuel pump. Hoses, hoses and more hoses.
        Austin

Comment

Today I first checked that the connection between both wipers were OK and by moving 1 arm, the other moved. There is no trouble in the linkage (cables).
          So I had to remove the motor.
          It is clean inside.
          After a while I had it working. I mean when I connect my pump on the vacuum port it goes both ways. However I can stop it easily with a finger.
          If I mount the cable wheels and the plate, it do not work anymore. Unit still out of the car.
          Question 1 is how to preload the spring on the cable wheels. I can make it so it returns fully the wheels to one end or, by turning the plate up-side down, I can make it so the wheels are centered in their travel.
          Question 2 I probably have a leak somewhere even though the gaskets seems to be in good condition. The "switch" operates throug a black plate that connect holes to allow for vacuum to operates. On top of that black plate we have an L shape spring made of really thin steel that apply a very small pression. Is that enough or do I need to work on that?
          I will probably have to work on making the assembly air tight at the gaskets. Will try to check with smoke to see where it's swallowed...
          Unless my pump is not srong enough...
          Any comment, idea or advise is welcome.
          Last edited by Eric S; December 31st, 2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

My wipers didn't work either. The only line I have to the wipers comes from the fuel pump, it also has a vacuum pump. I capped all the hoses off at the motor, so now there's just the one. I also did the brake fluid treatment which swells the internals and stops any leaks. Now the wipers work great. If you do the brake fluid trick, do it outside, the smoke is incredible!!!
            Scott
            South Delta, BC, Canada
            1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
            Red Leather Interior!
            www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
            Thunderbird Registry #61266
            http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

How much brake fluid was required?

Comment

What hoses did you capped?
                I have a T on the hose going one side to the wiper motor and one side to the washer (non functionnal). I will lock the washer side so I have 100% succion on the motor...
                is that the brake fluid treatment discussed in the Technical Library and is that smoke from burning the fluid through the engine?
                I did not used brake fluid but light oil to clean the internals and I don' t see how brake fluid can stop leaks!?
                But might be worth try it especially while the motor is out of the car as I was not too confident playing around with brake fluid under the dashboard not mentionning the fact I had no idea how to plug in a hose behind the motor the port being out of reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric S View Post
                  I did not used brake fluid but light oil to clean the internals and I don' t see how brake fluid can stop leaks!?
                  The brake fluid is not for stopping leaks. It's to swell the seals around the paddle inside the motor. Vacuum leaking past the paddle is the main reason why it stops working.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

All right I made it swallow some amount of brake fluid and indeed the motor seems to be much stronger. Also when I apply succion on it it does not whistle like it use to be like if it was no more (or less) leaking in. Leaves me with my question re. :how to preload the spring on the cable wheels. I can make it so it returns fully the wheels to one end or, by turning the plate up-side down, I can make it so the wheels are centered in their travel.

Comment

Wiper motor still working fine. Howeve rwhile I checked the vaccum line to the gas pump, I did notied that the hose leading to the brake was loose and just squeezed in the pump and it came off.
                      How is that supposed to be affixed?
                      You can see this part on the picture and the hole where it comes from.

Also when I removed the heater cardboard "thing" that goes to the windscreen (defrost) it fell apart. Can we get it? What is the name as I can not find it anywhere?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Eric S View Post
                        Wiper motor still working fine. Howeve rwhile I checked the vaccum line to the gas pump, I did notied that the hose leading to the brake was loose and just squeezed in the pump and it came off.
                        How is that supposed to be affixed?
                        You can see this part on the picture and the hole where it comes from.

Also when I removed the heater cardboard "thing" that goes to the windscreen (defrost) it fell apart. Can we get it? What is the name as I can not find it anywhere?
                        Hi Eric

The little bib thing is just a press fit into the pump, I gave mine a couple of taps with the end of a ratchet, on your above question about capping. The way the whole vacuum wipers work is there are vacuum lines running from the pump to the motor, also lines running to the washer switch so when you push the switch the wipers come on, then from the switch to the washer motor then back. There was about 15' of it. I ended up with only one new line running from the fuel pump to the motor. then there's the one from the wiper switch to the motor, capped off everything else.

The wipers themselves were a bit of a chore to put back together, it only fits one way. I had pictures of the way it was originally which helped. When you put the things back together it preloads the springs if it's on right.
                        Scott
                        South Delta, BC, Canada
                        Red Leather Interior!

Comment

The defroster ducts are not available new to my knowledge. Carl Heller may have some good used ones.

John
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Pat Wilson now advertises defroster ducts new for '59 and '60 . Not for '58 .

Comment

Originally posted by partsetal View Post
                              How much brake fluid was required?
                              maybe a cup?
                              Scott
                              South Delta, BC, Canada
                              Red Leather Interior!

Comment

Working...
                              X