X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woobie
    Experienced
    • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by Howard Prout
    For those of you who don't know, Mac's is now owned by Eckler's. The Lockport operation has been reduced to a shipping point - they don't have any stock there, everything is warehoused and shipped from Florida. I used to drop by Mac's in Lockport from time to time to pick up this or that. Not any more. What a shame.

Mac's Antique Auto Parts ? In Lockport, NY ? The warehouse has moved to Florida. The showroom does not have as much stuff as before. Anyone can order, pick-up and return merchandise at the Lockport, NY location. I went through this with the clerk over the phone on our recent order. Of course, in your situation, they are your seatcovers Howard Prout.

Simplyconnected, I always look forward to these mini dissertations that you regularly provide on the inner workings of detroit in the decades past. There is a poster on another forum that I use for info on my F-250. This poster can tell you any Ford part number, the years used and if any are available at any dealer in the USA. Pretty remarkable.

Austin
    Austin

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Woobie
      ...Simplyconnected, I always look forward to these mini dissertations that you regularly provide on the inner workings of detroit in the decades past...
      Thanks Austin, but I come from a unique vantage point. I started my career at Ford, working on the production line.

Most 'stories' come from folks who quickly observed as they passed through the plant. They missed most of the details and all of the politics. This is a tough place to work as many cannot or simply will not do it. I stuck it out because the money was great and I wanted to move from my parents, get married, and start on my own. As my aged advanced so did my goals. From production, I went through the Ford/UAW electrical apprenticeship, and continued my education as my career developed.

The Rouge consists of 17 plants. Many times, I was laid-off in one plant just to be hired in another the same day. Not to bore you but I worked in the (Dearborn) Stamping Plant, Frame Plant, Engine Plant, (two) iron foundries, Assembly Plant and the Power House (yes, we burned coal and made steam, electricity, compressed air and pumped mill water and coke oven gas to all the plants via underground tunnels and vaults.). I graduated in Steel Div., worked in the Penthouse of World Headquarters and I worked in Manufacturing Development, then for 'Staff' at Body and Assembly General Office. All this and much more happened in my career that started in 1971.

I've experienced many facets of the automotive 'machine' because I loved every part of working in it. Cars are my passion and Ford offered opportunities that most never get. I worked with engineers who designed and built Squarebirds (and other cars) during their career. They were passionate about their disciplines and were eager to pass knowledge to the 'young guys' like me, just for the asking. So, none of these ideas are mine. They belong to those who came before me and I am passing them along, in kind. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
        Experienced
        • Feb 11 2009

Carl, I should have recognized Cartouche as a manufacturer of upholstery kits. Do you know if they are still in business? In Lockport? I googled them but got no useful result. Are you using a Cartouche kit for your '60 project?
        sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

Howard,
          They do still make kits for earlier Fords but NOT for the Squarebird. Friends have told me the operation in still in Lockport but I have not confirmed it. If you're ever able to contact them someone there might be able to offer some guidance.
          Carl

Comment

• Woobie
            Experienced
            • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected

...Not to bore you...

...I loved every part of working in it. ...
            Simplyconnected,
            From over here I can say not bored in the least. Throw in some intrigue, captivating, glued to the screen type of response.

But maybe you gave it away, the key, "I loved every part of working in it"

Thanks,
            Austin
            Austin

Comment

• Woobie
              Experienced
              • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by Howard Prout
              I have attached a picture of the back side of the cover and all the seams look to be properly sewn.
              Howard Prout,

Did you note in your photo, the listing rod pocket appears to be seperated from the pleated panel(right panel, upper left) ? This has to be repaired to facilitate pulling the pleated panel against the backrest and forming the bolsters.

Austin
              Austin

Comment

• Howard Prout
                Experienced
                • Feb 11 2009

After further consultations with some forum members and exchanges with Mac's, I have now been advised by Mac's (Eckler's) to send the backrest cover to the "Vendor" - Thunderbird Headquarters! I asked if I could return it to Lockport and was not given permission to do so. As a result I will be shipping the cover to Thunderbird Headquarters in California. It appears that at least for some items Eckler's just acts as a distributor for items from other vendors.
                Last edited by Howard Prout; March 8, 2018, 08:18 AM. Reason: Editing

Comment

• Tbird1044
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 31 2012

I have posted this in the past, but will again post my experience with seat covers and foam. I purchased the preformed foam from TB Headquarters and the seat covers from Larry's which makes their own covers. When I took it all to an upholstery shop for installation, they needed to reshape most of the foams and make modifications to the seat covers for it all to work. It ended up costing me a lot more, after the alterations, than if I had just let a good upholstery shop do the entire job start to finish. It was an expensive lesson learned.
                  Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rear Backrest Cover

When I was having the interior done on Rose, my interior guy asked me how much it cost me for the new seat foams and the seat covers. So I told him, and he wrote down on a piece of paper and handed to me as to what he would have charged me if I had asked him to do them himself. It would have been a nice savings... As it was, he had to trim the seat foams considerably to get the seat covers installed....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Howard Prout
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 11 2009

I sent the backrest cover to Thunderbird Headquarters and my guess it then went to the manufacturer. Anyway, Thunderbird Headquarters sent me a replacement backrest cover. It appears to be the proper size but I won't know for sure until I can get the car back to the upholsterer which will probably be another couple of weeks. I had to pay the shipping cost to TH but once Mac's (Eckler's) were advised that a replacement cover had been issued, they (Eckler's) reimbursed me for the shipping costs. This process took eight months!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎