X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Dome light

So my Bird has no dome light, at least i thought, but when pushing up on the head liner, i can feel that the dome light frame is there. Just ordering the lens and bezel from Carl, but is there anything special to the dome light before i cut a hole in the headliner? Is it normal that the dome light frame is fixed to the ceiling under the headliner, or should it be on top of it? I couldn´t find any clear pictures on this so far.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The part that holds the light socket is mounted to the roof frame. You only want a small area of the headliner open so the bulb is showing.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

As John shows, the headliner is below the dome light. These bulbs are notorious for getting very hot when left on for long periods because it is in a 'confined space', then the plastic lens discolors.

I suggest you use an LED bulb in place of the incandescent. LEDs never get hot and they draw about 1/10th the current, so leaving the door open will not create heat or drain your battery. A 'warm white' color will look like the OEM bulb. There is plenty of room to fit a large LED.

When we got our '59 Galaxie, someone had smashed the dome light because it stayed on all the time. After simply looking at the driver's door switch it was evident the plunger was broken. A new door switch, dome bulb and lens, and it's been good ever since. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
        Experienced
        • May 2 2016

Great, thanks for the answers guys. Now waiting for the new lens and bezel to arrive. I also ordered the complete accelerator mechanism from the pedal to the carburetor, because what I have now is not working well
        sigpicFrank

Comment

• Frango100
          Experienced
          • May 2 2016

Just installed the dome light lens and bezel and surprisingly it works fine, from the door switches and the light switch. I only will have to look for a LED to put in there in place of the incandescent bulb.
          sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎