Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shoebox
    • Sep 25 2007

Brake pedal spring

In the process of restoring in 1960 Thunderbird and note that the shop manual section 10 – 8, Fig. 11 calls for a brake pedal return spring mounted in the brake pedal housing on the pivot bolt. My car was a basket case when I received it and there was no spring to be found when disassembled. Is the spring original equipment and necessary? It would seem that the pedal and return to a neutral position when pressure is relieved regardless of whether a there is a spring. I cannot find a replacement in any of the catalogs. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Do you have power brakes. The parts manual doesn't show the spring installed when the under hood booster is used.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• shoebox
      • Sep 25 2007

brake pedal spring

jopiz
      thank you for your response. I forgot to mention I do have power brakes. I guess that clears up why there was no spring in the original assembly.

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

There is a coiled spring that attaches where the main pivot pin secures the brake pedal to the mount. The manual says that this assembly is the same if you have power or manual brakes. My friends pedal would not return and we ended up taking the entire brake assembly out and found the spring had somehow become detached. Luckily the spring was in good shape, so we just put it back together correctly.
        There is a post here with picture: http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t=Brake+spring
        Look at the diagram on the 8-25-2014 post.
        BTW, my friends car is a 1960 convertible with no air, so the spring was used all the way to 60.
        Nyles
        Last edited by Tbird1044; October 21, 2014, 05:14 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎