Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    • Aug 19 2014

blown lights

Hi all can some one please let me know we're the fuse is located in my 60 tbird hardtop ? The fuse that I'm looking for I think runs the 2 passenger side headlights and inside dome light. The 2 headlights & dome light blue when I tried to put a bulb in a socket to the left of the glove box . Thanks in advance for any help
    PHIL..
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

All Headlights have a circuit breaker inside the Headlight Switch. The glove box light is fed from the clock fuse, next to the clock.

Some of the old sockets have an internal spring and piece of micarta. If the wire is slack, it can come out and ground itself to the lamp holder shell. This is rare, but I've seen it done.

My own cousin has a vintage U-Haul teardrop trailer he put LED lamps in to replace his 1157 stop lights. When he plugged in, his lights dimmed way down and his ground wire got hot at the plug. Twenty feet away from the plug, he had one of his tail light wires bent sideways inside the lamp holder. I wondered, how on earth did he get the bayonet bulb to seat, but he did.

I make it a practice, before inserting the bulb, I pull the wire and spring back. This allows the bulb to turn easily against those contacts. Your glove box light has only one contact, which makes turning easier.

Dome light fuse is on the back of your Headlight Switch. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

The headlights and dome light are all fed directly off of the + from the battery. The headlights are BOTH protected with a single circuit breaker internal to the head light switch. If your driver side headlights are working and the pass. side are not, there is a wiring problem to the pass. side. As Dave already stated, the glove box light is protected with a 1 amp fuse that should have blown if you shorted something out in the process of replacing the bulb. If your post is correct, the driver side head lights are still working?? This makes a lot of difference in the problem that occurred.
      Nyles
      Last edited by Tbird1044; August 19, 2014, 08:27 PM. Reason: wrong fuse size

Comment

• phil
        • Aug 19 2014

Hi Niles thanks for your time I'm in Brisbane AUS working nights don't know if I'm coming or going.
        Well m8 yes the drivers side headlights are working passenger side not
        the 1amp fuse for the dome light and glove box are there 2 or just 1 fuse for both.
        Thanks m8
        PHIL

Comment

• phil
          • Aug 19 2014

Thanks Dave for your help and time I will try and resolve this problem on the weekend
          THANKS AGAIN M8
          PHIL

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

If one of your headlights is working, you cannot have a fuse problem. You probably have a bad ground on the light that isn't working. It takes TWO wires to complete a circuit, your ground is equally important as the feed wire.

Get a test light or volt meter, dig one prod into ground and check the power wire at the headlamp. If power is there, start looking for a bad ground. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎