Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eagle_restorations
    • Aug 13 2013

squarebird interior door mouldings

Hey everyone, I'm Daniel with eagle restorations. I've been lurking for a while during this 59 tbird build I'm working on and figured it was time to register. I'm finishing up some of the details on the car, and I have hit a little snag. Has anyone come up with an ingenious way to deal with broken tangs on the interior door mouldings? Maybe a clip or something that fits the channel on the back of the stainless trim pieces? I even debated ordering a couple of the nail strips from a 66(?) Tbird to retrofit in sections. It seems like this would be a common issue with the availability of original replacements being what it is. Any input would be appreciated.
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

The best thing to do is find moulding with the tangs intact. I've seen screws thru this moulding on some cars I've parted out, and I have had limited success in mig welding pins near the broken ones, but then you have to polish the discoloration from the stainless. On my next car, I might try using short screws from the back or possibly small pop rivets. Not sure what the 66 nail strips look like.
    Carl

Comment

• eagle_restorations
      • Aug 13 2013

Heres a link to the later nail strips I was thinking of trying to use:

the strips used in the 59 are almost identical to the ones found in 65 and 66 mustang pony door mouldings. Since these are reproduced pretty regularly, there has to be a source for the strips themselves. If a source could be identified, it wouldnt be all that difficult to repair rusted broken originals.

Comment

• newbird59
        Experienced
        • Dec 27 2011

Hey Daniel,

I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for you but I am in the same boat. When you figure it out, will you post what you come up with?

I have played around with this and maybe the arm rest (when tighted down) will help with the movement? I'm not sure if welding can be done on the interior trim part.

Thanks!!

David
        1960 Thunderbird
        429 TJ
        C6 Tranny
        Under Construction

Comment

• eagle_restorations
          • Aug 13 2013

So I had a few hours to play around with this trim last night. I tried a couple of different "inserts" I made out of 20ga steel to no real success. I did however find that .055" bailing wire works pretty well. It fits pretty snug between the 2 strips and it bends and holds a little better than the original tangs. It doesnt do anything for the 3 wire shaped spike things where the trim curves, but I put one of the panels together last night, and it worked out ok.
          One thing worth noting, the .055 wire should be pushed all the way through to the next slot and bent over. Its not possible on every one, but the more mechanical bond it provides makes installation a little easier and considerably more durable than not doubling the wire back over. I can take a few pictures and post them if anyone is curious or confused. Hopefully this helps someone out, since trying to track down these pieces intact was one of the most frustrating parts of this build.

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

Please post the pictures. I would love to see what you are up against. I'm sure others are having the same issues.
            Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

squarebird interior door mouldings

Daniel, in case you did not see it, look in Anything Goes forum, the New Members Welcoming thread on how to post pix on this Forum. You will find your welcoming to the Forum there.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• newbird59
                Experienced
                • Dec 27 2011

Same here!

I would love to see how you did this.

David
                1960 Thunderbird
                429 TJ
                C6 Tranny
                Under Construction

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I don't have a '59 so I don't know exactly what trim piece you are talking about, but would double-sided tape hold the piece on? 3M makes an exterior grade that grabs and holds just about anything, and can be removed without damaging the parts by running fish line through it.

When rebuilding my steering wheel trim I happened on some tabs in the pot-metal parts, most which broke during disassembly. I used Goop Automotive glue to reassemble, and it seems to be holding up.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎