X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lawyercalif
    Experienced
    • May 12 2011

Fuel Sender

I just put in new gauges and along with them I received a new fuel sender. It has a five bolt mount. Is there anyone that knows the proper way of installing one of these in our gas tanks?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Simply follow the Shop Manual, and be sure you ground your tank. Six volts has a real hard time punching through rusty straps. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lawyercalif
      Experienced
      • May 12 2011

Thank you for your reply. However, I now have a 12 volt gauge system, no constant voltage module, and a new gas tank. The problem is that the new fuel sending unit has five holes for mounting. I need to know if any one has adapted this type of sender to fit in the hole where the old sender was held down by the twist ring?

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      Simply follow the Shop Manual, and be sure you ground your tank. Six volts has a real hard time punching through rusty straps. - Dave

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

There is only one model year (that I know of) that Ford used 12-volts in their gauges; 1956. That was the first year for 12-volts. In '57, Ford quickly went back to 6-volt, and kept it that way. GM and Chry also used 6-volt gauges. If yours is 12-v, that's news to me. What brand of gauges did you use?

My '55 uses the holes and not the locking ring. Does your new gasket cover the holes? If so, it should fit with the locking ring. The gasket goes on the tank, then the sending unit, then the locking ring. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fuel Sender

It sounds to me like you have the wrong sending unit for our Squarebirds. The correct sending unit for a Squarebird is A4-25 on Page 15 of the Bird Nest catalog.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• lawyercalif
            Experienced
            • May 12 2011

Its 12 volt because I replaced the original gauges with Classic quad gauge. The sending unit came with the new gauge. The Quad gauge fit in the original bezel with some slight trimming and provides for oil, water temp, volts and fuel.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            There is only one model year (that I know of) that Ford used 12-volts in their gauges; 1956. That was the first year for 12-volts. In '57, Ford quickly went back to 6-volt, and kept it that way. GM and Chry also used 6-volt gauges. If yours is 12-v, that's news to me. What brand of gauges did you use?

My '55 uses the holes and not the locking ring. Does your new gasket cover the holes? If so, it should fit with the locking ring. The gasket goes on the tank, then the sending unit, then the locking ring. - Dave

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎