Ballast Resistor Location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballast Resistor Location

Here is a picture of where your ballast resistor is located at in your Squarebird engine well.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
    "It's Hip To Be Square"
    Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

-On a 1958-59 Bird....

sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

The 60's used the resistor wire correct? You can see the resistor is not in place on my '60.

Eric

Comment

I think, but I am not sure, that in 1960, they eliminated the ballast resistor. Someone who knows for sure hopefully will respond to your question.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

Comment

The answer is in Ford Parts & Accessories TEXT Catalog. 12250 is the base number for all ignition resistors. Starting in 1960, Thunderbirds use C0LF 12250-A, which is a PINK wire 61.5" long. This is clearly a resistance wire. Ford depended on the length to disipate heat over a wider area. Conventional resistors got real hot and were potted in porcelain.

The only change after 1960 was in '64 with Electronic Ign. That system used an 8.1-ohm wire, half as long. - Dave
          My latest project:
          CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks, Dave! I shudda looked it up! I remembered there being a lot of discussion about the pink resistor wire on the '60's, unlike the '58-'59 porcelain encased resistor pod mounted on the firewall. Now we know..

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

Working...
            X