NYsquarebird58' Tbird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYsquarebird58's Tbird

You may want to get catalogs from MAC's, which is not far from you, and Bob's Bird House, in Delaware. Bob has retired and sold the business, but they are good to deal with. They, like Bird Nest, also have parts and parts cars they can get parts off of. Take a look at some of the other vendors also, and get their free catalogs. As for shop manuals, yes, the '60 will be about the same as the '58, but not entirely. Especially regarding the front and rear end, so you will want the '58 manual. The electrical diagrams for our Tbirds are in the Technical Resource Library. You might want to print out the one for the '58.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    '59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
    "It's Hip To Be Square"
    Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Here are some more shots of the interior

Hereís the radio opening. It looks like someone did some cutting. I hope the factory radio will cover that up.

The console speaker and cover are both missing. The speaker will be the easy part, but I think Iíll have some trouble sourcing the cover.

Instrumentation

The mileage reads 45,187

Hereís a closer shot of the sticker on the windshield. It does not say ďVintage Thunderbird Club InternationalĒ. It reads: ďVintage Thunderbird Club of AmericaĒ Perhaps this is what VTCI used to be called??

VTCI# 11860
      58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

NYsquarebird58's Tbird

Thanks for posting the additional pix. The seat covers seem to look pretty well. I see the roof will need new insulation, more than likely, and a new headliner. Also the aluminum rear panels on the C pillar unless they are in the trunk. I also hope that your chrome trim panels that go over the windows and cover your headliner are in the trunk. If not, you can get used or new ones.

Your dashpad looks to be in good shape, except where the radio was. You might be able to cover that up. You should be able to get the speaker and the speaker cover from someone who has parts and parts cars, like Carl Heller ~ partsetal, here on the Forum. Or one of the other vendors with parts and parts cars. You can get a new speaker from one of them, or a used one from someone who has one that is working.

Your glove compartment lid and instrument panel should clean up fairly well. Your gas and temp gauges might not work anymore. There is a Constant Voltage Regulator that steps down the 12V input to those 6V gauges. It can be found attached to the back of your instrument panel, or on a metal support post. I will post a pic to show you what to look for if you take the instrument panel out. The one I am posting is the solid State CVR, but the OEM one looks similar to it. I went through 2 CVR units, at about $25 each and both blew. Watch out that you dont get a Chinese made one, if you need one. I decided to go solid state the last time, for about $50. There are instructions in the TRL on how to adjust the readings on the gauges from the back of the gauge. If the CVR unit is defective it could have fried the gauges, but you will find that out later on. You can get a replacement for one, including a solid state one. You can get the gauges repaired by Bird Next. Same thing for the clock. I had them quartz mine and it works great. What is that down to the left of the hood release handle? It looks like some kind of control panel.

I see you have power windows, and that is probably going to need cleaning up. The details on how to take it out, clean the contact, etc. is in the TRL. You probably also have a power drivers seat. The motors are under the seat and can be repaired or replaced. The motors for the windows are in the door panels, and the rear ones in the side panels. New carpeting, if needed, can be gotten from any of the parts places. You can get a new steering wheel center piece and fender "bullets" from the parts places. Jed Zimmerman on the Forum here specializes in reconditioning your steering wheel to new condition. He also makes and sells the seat and back foams for our seats. In fact, most vendors buy them from him. I have his seat foams on my Tbird.

As previously mentioned, you will want to drain your gas tank. There is a drain plug in one of the corners as I recall. Take it off, and have it cleaned out and treated. If it needs replaced, you can buy new ones from the company in Canada on eBay that makes them, as I did. You can save a few bucks that way. But that gas tank needs to be emptied and put through a cleaning process. You may need a new sending unit which is in your gas tank. You can get one from our parts vendors. Your fuel pump on a 352 engine is down below the power steering pump. Usually, they have two nipples coming out of them. One provides vacuum to your vacuum powered windshield wipers. Vacuum wipers are a PIB, and I replaced mine with an electric wiper that is readily available.

Yes, the VTCA (Vintage Thunderbird Club Of America, The Squarebird Society) was the forerunner of the VTCI for Squarebirds only originally. Later they added Bulletbirds and Flairbirds and changed their name to Vintage Thunderbird Club International in 1988. So a previous owner of your Tbird was a member of VTCA at one time. As a Paid Member, you will be receiving a new VTCI decal for your Tbird, but you might want to leave the VTCA decal on to show its history...

There is a lot to be done with your Tbird, but that depends on how much you want to do with it. You can't beat the price you got it for, that is for sure. I hope this information helps.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by YellowRose; February 11th, 2012, 08:20 PM.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781

Comment

What Is That?

Hi Marcello. What is that object below the headlight switch?
          Rick
          1960 HT
          Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

Someone replaced your dash and cut it for the origenal radio. They don,t come with the hole cut already. You should be ok

Comment

Marcello - you have found your original horns and that means you have won the grand prize - a new white headliner !!!!!!

I ordered a headliner from one of the major parts suppliers years ago and it has been collecting dust in the garage ever since. It is bright white not off white like my original one - I didn't like it as much. I took my original headliner to a trim shop and had them order some material and make one that matched mine perfectly. If you want the "old" new one I'll send it to you for what it costs to ship. Should fit in one of the medium flat rate boxes so don't think it will be over $20.

When you do get to the point you are ready to install the headliner be sure and note the bars as you take them out - they are different and painted different colors on the edges to keep track of where they go. The rods also have little caps on the ends to keep them in the holes in the body - like the holes were too big and so they put caps on the ends of the rods to make them fit.

PM me your address if you want the headliner and I'll get it in the mail.

Eric

I'm liking that car more with ever pic you post !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DKheld View Post
                Marcello - you have found your original horns and that means you have won the grand prize - a new white headliner !!!!!!

I ordered a headliner from one of the major parts suppliers years ago and it has been collecting dust in the garage ever since. It is bright white not off white like my original one - I didn't like it as much. I took my original headliner to a trim shop and had them order some material and make one that matched mine perfectly. If you want the "old" new one I'll send it to you for what it costs to ship. Should fit in one of the medium flat rate boxes so don't think it will be over $20.

When you do get to the point you are ready to install the headliner be sure and note the bars as you take them out - they are different and painted different colors on the edges to keep track of where they go. The rods also have little caps on the ends to keep them in the holes in the body - like the holes were too big and so they put caps on the ends of the rods to make them fit.

PM me your address if you want the headliner and I'll get it in the mail.

Eric

I'm liking that car more with ever pic you post !!!!
                Wow, you guys have all been really great. Eric, I will definitely take you up on your offer. Thank you!
                VTCI# 11860

Comment

Originally posted by Restifier52 View Post
                  Hi Marcello. What is that object below the headlight switch?
                  Rick
                  They look like aftermarket gauges - oil and amps.

VTCI# 11860

Comment

Oh...

I see. I have aftermarket gauges that include voltage and oil pressure. I have an alternator instead of a generator. Do ammeters go with generators and voltmeters with alternators or can you have both? Learned community?
                    1960 HT
                    Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose View Post
                      Thanks for posting the additional pix. The seat covers seem to look pretty well. I see the roof will need new insulation, more than likely, and a new headliner. Also the aluminum rear panels on the C pillar unless they are in the trunk. I also hope that your chrome trim panels that go over the windows and cover your headliner are in the trunk. If not, you can get used or new ones.

Your dashpad looks to be in good shape, except where the radio was. You might be able to cover that up. You should be able to get the speaker and the speaker cover from someone who has parts and parts cars, like Carl Heller ~ partsetal, here on the Forum. Or one of the other vendors with parts and parts cars. You can get a new speaker from one of them, or a used one from someone who has one that is working.

Your glove compartment lid and instrument panel should clean up fairly well. Your gas and temp gauges might not work anymore. There is a Constant Voltage Regulator that steps down the 12V input to those 6V gauges. It can be found attached to the back of your instrument panel, or on a metal support post. I will post a pic to show you what to look for if you take the instrument panel out. The one I am posting is the solid State CVR, but the OEM one looks similar to it. I went through 2 CVR units, at about $25 each and both blew. Watch out that you dont get a Chinese made one, if you need one. I decided to go solid state the last time, for about $50. There are instructions in the TRL on how to adjust the readings on the gauges from the back of the gauge. If the CVR unit is defective it could have fried the gauges, but you will find that out later on. You can get a replacement for one, including a solid state one. You can get the gauges repaired by Bird Next. Same thing for the clock. I had them quartz mine and it works great. What is that down to the left of the hood release handle? It looks like some kind of control panel.

I see you have power windows, and that is probably going to need cleaning up. The details on how to take it out, clean the contact, etc. is in the TRL. You probably also have a power drivers seat. The motors are under the seat and can be repaired or replaced. The motors for the windows are in the door panels, and the rear ones in the side panels. New carpeting, if needed, can be gotten from any of the parts places. You can get a new steering wheel center piece and fender "bullets" from the parts places. Jed Zimmerman on the Forum here specializes in reconditioning your steering wheel to new condition. He also makes and sells the seat and back foams for our seats. In fact, most vendors buy them from him. I have his seat foams on my Tbird.

As previously mentioned, you will want to drain your gas tank. There is a drain plug in one of the corners as I recall. Take it off, and have it cleaned out and treated. If it needs replaced, you can buy new ones from the company in Canada on eBay that makes them, as I did. You can save a few bucks that way. But that gas tank needs to be emptied and put through a cleaning process. You may need a new sending unit which is in your gas tank. You can get one from our parts vendors. Your fuel pump on a 352 engine is down below the power steering pump. Usually, they have two nipples coming out of them. One provides vacuum to your vacuum powered windshield wipers. Vacuum wipers are a PIB, and I replaced mine with an electric wiper that is readily available.

Yes, the VTCA (Vintage Thunderbird Club Of America, The Squarebird Society) was the forerunner of the VTCI for Squarebirds only originally. Later they added Bulletbirds and Flairbirds and changed their name to Vintage Thunderbird Club International in 1988. So a previous owner of your Tbird was a member of VTCA at one time. As a Paid Member, you will be receiving a new VTCI decal for your Tbird, but you might want to leave the VTCA decal on to show its history...

There is a lot to be done with your Tbird, but that depends on how much you want to do with it. You can't beat the price you got it for, that is for sure. I hope this information helps.
                      I checked the trunk and all I found in there were the original horns, windshield wiper arms and jack. I will need to source all the missing moldings and trim pieces as I go.

It does appear that in addition to the power windows, I do have a power driverís seat. I have to give all the wiring a quick visual inspection before I plug the battery in. Iím curious to see what works and what doesnít.

Regarding the gas tank: Iíve read in my other thread that there is an access panel in the trunk where I can gain access to the tank. I wonder if I can drain the tank by unscrewing the drain plug you mentioned, and run a garden hose in the tank to flush out the old gas and gunk.

I will definitely be keeping the VTCA sticker on the windshield. Would there be anyway to find out through the VTCI any further information on this car?

I wasnít looking for this car. Itís as if this car found me. I stumbled upon the add for this car late one Thursday night, and Saturday afternoon I was on my way home with her. I ended up paying more than a third less than I expected to pay, and I had a buddy who was able to arrange for me to get the car home almost free of charge. My plan is to first get her running and road worthy. My deadline for this is June 2012. My girlfriendís job is hosting their first annual charitable car show and I want participate. Iíll give the car a good sanding and primer her up so that sheís all one color and presentable. After the season is over, Iíll strip her down; tackle the floor boards, rockers, trunk, engine compartment, drive train and suspension, put her back together and enjoy her as she sits for the 2013 season. After that, Iíll tackle the exterior paint, body work and interior.
                      VTCI# 11860

Comment

NYsquarebird58's Tbird

It is possible that someone was selling parts off that Tbird, since the radio, speaker, and cover, the C pillar trim panels and the chrome pieces that cover the headliner are gone. You will be able to find all those things though.

When you open the trunk, if there is a mat in place, lift it up and you will find a round cover in the center that is screwed in place. Take it off and you will find the opening to the gas tank. You will have to take a screwdriver and tap the locking mechanism to make it slide around to unlock it. Inside you will find your fuel tank sending unit, with the float on the end. It is probably going to be corroded and maybe not working like mine was. My float had a hole in it and was filled with gas. I bought a new one from one of the parts stores. You could drain the tank by putting a hose down there, but if you slide under the car with a big bucket and unscrew the drain plug, you would probably get a better drain of the tank.

Back in the VTCA days, I am told by the recently retired Secretary of the VTCI, and her hubby, the recently retired President of VTCI, who live here, that there was not much in the way of record keeping like that going on back then, unlike now. However, she told me who I could contact to see if someone does have any records. The VIN # helps, but the names of the previous owners, if you know them, would certainly help even better. I will try and see what I can find out for you.

I am glad the car found you because if it had not, the next thing it might have found is being parted out, or the crusher.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

Hey Marcelo, welcome aboard. I'm doing a "ratrod" kind of thing with my 59 so I may have some stuff you can use. If you look at my pictures here; https://picasaweb.google.com/1014928...IzpxazQnbj8uAE
                          and see anything you can use send me a PM and let me know. You can see my mirrors and also the interior piece where you have a cut out for the after market gauges. I replaced my mirrors with a square one from a 67 LTD. The glass on my original one is too spotted to see out of. It also needs chrome.
                          I paid 3 times what you paid for mine - you got a deal buddy. I'm also pulling the entire engine and trans so if you need any of that let me know. I'm most likely just going to sell it for scrap metal - I posted it to craigslist but got zero calls. I would have thought someone could use a 352 300hp and a cruise-o-matic for $300 (and it runs) although it smokes like crazy.
                          Anyway, let me know if you need anything. I'm always looking for trade items too.
                          PS: My grandparents are from Jamestown NY - (Chatauqua lake)
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by davidmij View Post
                            Hey Marcelo, welcome aboard. I'm doing a "ratrod" kind of thing with my 59 so I may have some stuff you can use. If you look at my pictures here; https://picasaweb.google.com/1014928...IzpxazQnbj8uAE
                            and see anything you can use send me a PM and let me know. You can see my mirrors and also the interior piece where you have a cut out for the after market gauges. I replaced my mirrors with a square one from a 67 LTD. The glass on my original one is too spotted to see out of. It also needs chrome.
                            I paid 3 times what you paid for mine - you got a deal buddy. I'm also pulling the entire engine and trans so if you need any of that let me know. I'm most likely just going to sell it for scrap metal - I posted it to craigslist but got zero calls. I would have thought someone could use a 352 300hp and a cruise-o-matic for $300 (and it runs) although it smokes like crazy.
                            Anyway, let me know if you need anything. I'm always looking for trade items too.
                            PS: My grandparents are from Jamestown NY - (Chatauqua lake)
                            Dave
                            PM sent - Thank you
                            VTCI# 11860

Comment

I'm missing the vertical chrome trim pieces that are to the left and right of the windshield.

Do these look like the correct ones?

VTCI# 11860

Comment

NYsquarebird58's Tbird

They do not look like the right pieces to me. Here is what my left and right pieces look like. You can see that they are flared out at the bottom to mate with the "elbow" properly. They are also flared and turned at the top to mate with that top windshield chrome piece. You can also see the screws in them where they screw into the column to hold them in place. Here are what mine look like, which is what you need. Carl ~ partsetal here on the Forum might have them.
                                Attached Files

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Comment

Working...
                                X