X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

1968 1 1/2 ton truck

Can anyone tell me what a 68 1 and 1/2 ton truck is? for example is it an F350? Also, can anyone tell me anything about them, motor sizes etc. I can't find anything with google about a 1968 ford 1 1/2 ton truck.
    The owner said in an e-mail. "68 FORD 1 1/2 TON TRUCK HD/33 ENGINE NEW TIRES 5 SPD/2 SPD REAR"

I'd really like to find a link with specifications etc.

thx, Dave J
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

"When domestic light-duty trucks were first produced, they were rated by their payload capacity in tons (e.g., ½-, ¾- and 1-ton). This has led to categorizing trucks similarly, even if their payload is different. Therefore, the Ford Ranger, Chevy S-10, and GMC S-15 are called quarter-tons (¼-ton). The Ford F-150, Chevy 10, Chevy/GMC 1500, and Dodge 1500 are half-tons (½-ton). The Ford F-250, Chevy 20, Chevy/GMC 2500, and Dodge 2500 are three-quarter-tons (¾-ton). Chevy/GMC's ¾-ton suspension systems were further divided into light and heavy-duty, differentiated by 5-lug and 6 or 8-lug wheel hubs depending on year, respectively. The Ford F-350, Chevy 30, Chevy/GMC 3500, and Dodge 3500 are one tons (1-ton).

Similar schemes exist for vans and SUVs (e.g., a 1-ton Dodge Van or a ½-ton GMC Suburban), medium duty trucks (e.g. the Ford ton-and-a-half F-450) and some military vehicles, like the ubiquitous deuce-and-a-half.

Throughout the years, the payload capacities for most domestic pickup trucks have increased while the ton titles have stayed the same. The now defunct 'ton' rating is now used to compare standard sizes, rather than actual weight rating." - Wikipedia
    So, this answer isn't that simple. Things have changed and so has the way truck payloads are rated. Manufacturers offer the payloads in real weight now instead of using encrypted model names. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 17 2011

Thx Dave, I'm having the owner send me the VIN plate info so I can look up what it has motor wise. Hopefully I can find a link with VIN info for this old (whatever)It looks like a very clean truck and the motor looks like a 390 but you never know. I'm guessing it's a 385 or something.
      Anyway, no biggie.

thx!

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I don't know but I would guess the engine is most likely a 390. Ford made Mercury trucks during that time as well.

(Remember when Ford made Mercury's and Edsel's?) Edsel Ford thought the company needed something between Lincoln and Ford, much the same as GM had Buick and Olds between Chevy and Cadillac. His dad strongly disagreed with fancy ideas because he simply wanted an affordable Ford Car in everyone's drive.

I miss seeing Mercury dealerships but I guess having the exact same body with different badges is superfluous for the company and insulting to the buyers. Like, nobody knows both cars are made on the same assembly line. Versailles, Monarch, Granada (what more is there to say?).

Thank God Squarebirds didn't have a 'counterpart,' like later model Thunderbirds did with the Cougar. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 17 2011

The guy says the motor is a 331. He also has a crate motor (never used) and still wrapped for $500. He's trying clean out some old stuff cluttering his garage.
          Here's the VIN F5OCKD17270. He said it is an F500.
          I'm not interested - I was just hoping it might be a 390 block or maybe even bigger.

Here's the Craigslist listing. http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/3840803335.html

thx.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Sorry that fell through for you, Dave. I was hoping it was a 390, too.

390's are VERY plentiful around the Great Lakes area so I automatically assume the West has them too. I'm sure you can still get one. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 17 2011

No worries, I'm not so much looking for one as trying to be oppertunistic about finding one. I eventually want to end up with a bigger faster motor. Either a 390 stroker or a pretty beefy 390. Just keeping my eyes open.

thx, Dave J

Comment

• KULTULZ

Just a note here on FE and FT (330MD/330HD -361 -391) engines. The engine in this truck is a FT 330 MD (Medium Duty).

There was also a 330HD which came assembled with a steel crank (same as 361 - FE 352/360/361 EDSEL stroke).

These are the later cast blocks with strengthened main webbing and the HD engines came through with steel crankshafts. The upper end (heads-intake-front cover) are not useable but later FE parts are easily adapted.

NOTE-

A STD 332 FE is 4.0 bore 3.30 stroke – A STD 330FT is 3.875 bore 3.50 stroke
                This is one heck of a deal on that truck. Wish I were closer...
                Last edited by Guest; June 2, 2013, 09:25 AM. Reason: Clarify Information

Comment

• davidmij
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 17 2011

That's exactly what I thought Gary. The 6 tires have less than 500 miles on them - heck they're almost worth the price alone. In the pictures this truck looks super clean. The motor and paint on the valve covers etc looks great. The interior looks really good for a truck half that age.

Guess that's what you get when you park em' in a barn. His daughter said he would buy most any car or truck whenever he found a really good deal, then store them in the barn until he could sell them at a profit. He's ran out of space and needs to clear some of the older items. I can't believe no one in Albuquerque has bought it.

Anyway....

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎