Spare wheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare wheel removal

On my 56, I still have not understood how to remove the spare from the continental kit.
    I assume it is bolted on the support but I have the chrome center on the wheel that I can not pray off the wheel because the surrounding is in the picture. Looks like this surrounding needs to go off first but how?
    We are going on a week-end with it in 2 days and need to be ready even though I put some magic in the tires so I am not supposed to get a flat tire.

Eric

56's were provided with a removal tool. Best advice for you is to carry a mini spare from a full sized Ford in your trunk and leave the continental spare in place.

Comment

I have to check in the trunk. I may have it...

Comment

Well no tool so far but a spare wheel. I did not realised until then that I had 2 spares ! 1 being in the trunk. Previous owner seems to have followed Joe's advise.
        I had the car for 1 year but only travelled locally and the trunk was still full of goodies until last week.

As for the factory jack, I still have to take it off the trunk but even if I know how it works, I can not see where it has to be put under the car. Any drawing of that?
        Last edited by Eric S; May 16th, 2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

IMO these bumper jacks should be restored and left in the trunk. Carry a scissors or hyd bottle jack and several pieces of 2 X 4 for blocking, wheel chocks and even a jack stand to be safe. That said there SHOULD be a steel brace running parallel to the bumpers between the bumper mounting brackets that extends slightly below the bottom of the bumpers for the bumper jack to catch onto.

Comment

There is supposed to be a decal on the underside of the trunk lid that shows how the jack goes. If yours is not there, it is available as a reproduction. It also may be in the owners manual, also available as a reproduction.

Originally posted by Eric S View Post
            Well no tool so far but a spare wheel. I did not realised until then that I had 2 spares ! 1 being in the trunk. Previous owner seems to have followed Joe's advise.
            I had the car for 1 year but only travelled locally and the trunk was still full of goodies until last week.

As for the factory jack, I still have to take it off the trunk but even if I know how it works, I can not see where it has to be put under the car. Any drawing of that?
            Midland Park, NJ
            56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

Working...
            X