Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Thunderbird new owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1957 Thunderbird new owner

    That would be me. Ray Clark pitched in to help. In November I purchased a 1957 Dusk Rose with white porthole hardtop. Currently it is at my mechanic's for minor work.

    Question regarding the hubcap center painting. What color is that?

    Thanks,
    Scott Sims

  • #2
    If the color is not specified in the concours rules that the Vintage Thunderbird Club puts out then I would go with Colonial White. Ford used that color white for a lot of it's cars and parts of that era.

    John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

    Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome to the Little Birds Forum.
      Now let's see some pictures.
      Charley

      Comment


      • #4
        Its always good to see Little Birds!

        I agree with the Colonial White choice as they look a bit creamy and not a pure white.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 840 840 840 View Post
          Welcome to the Little Birds Forum.
          Now let's see some pictures.
          Charley
          Charley, I read that you are involved with working on your '56. When is your target finish date?

          I will eventually post photos. It is a very nice Dusk Rose with black/white interior with white steering wheel, both tops (white), PS, PB, PW, Pseat, auto, D code. The old bias ply are coming off in favor of new Diamond Back radials.

          Thanks to all for your welcoming me aboard.

          Comment


          • #6
            You may want to check out Coker. They advertise a series with the pie crust shoulders that are radials but look bias ply. I have not seen them in person but the pictures look very good. The bias ply look awesome, but I had some reproduction Firestone's on a 56 several years ago and they were almost dangerous if I was caught in the rain - not nearly the traction we are used to with radials (and only 4" of tread didn't help either)!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ss396t6 View Post
              Charley, I read that you are involved with working on your '56. When is your target finish date?

              I will eventually post photos. It is a very nice Dusk Rose with black/white interior with white steering wheel, both tops (white), PS, PB, PW, Pseat, auto, D code. The old bias ply are coming off in favor of new Diamond Back radials.

              Thanks to all for your welcoming me aboard.
              April 30th, 2015, I better get busy. But I work best under pressure.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Joe Johnston View Post
                You may want to check out Coker. They advertise a series with the pie crust shoulders that are radials but look bias ply. I have not seen them in person but the pictures look very good. The bias ply look awesome, but I had some reproduction Firestone's on a 56 several years ago and they were almost dangerous if I was caught in the rain - not nearly the traction we are used to with radials (and only 4" of tread didn't help either)!
                Thanks, Joe. I almost bought Coker tires until a 1955-1957 mechanic told me that some of his customers who owned them had problems with them. The Diamond Back radial tires have 2-1/2" wide whitewall and 60K mile rating and comparably priced. As little as I drive my other two classic cars I would die before driving 60,000 miles in the Thunderbird.

                Comment


                • #9
                  1957 Thunderbird new owner

                  Mine are Diamondback and they have stayed nice and white with minimal cleaning.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by YellowRose; December 17th, 2014, 11:07 AM. Reason: Downsized pic to 800x600

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    1957 Thunderbird new owner

                    Originally posted by Joe Johnston View Post
                    Mine are Diamondback and they have stayed nice and white with minimal cleaning.
                    Nice '57! I like the small "dog dish" hubcaps. Mine has the full covers. I am not a fan of the KH wires. Talk about a cleaning nightmare.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by simplyconnected; December 17th, 2014, 03:19 PM. Reason: Downsized pic to 800x600

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for the comment on the hubcaps. I've had the car since 84 and had several wheel combinations on it. It looks good with the colonial white top and these whitewalls are a breeze to clean compared to the wire wheels.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Joe Johnston View Post
                        Thanks for the comment on the hubcaps. I've had the car since 84 and had several wheel combinations on it. It looks good with the colonial white top and these whitewalls are a breeze to clean compared to the wire wheels.
                        I sent photos of my 1957 to Ray Clark and he was kind to post photos of my car under Our Rides. Thanks Ray!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X