Announcement

Collapse

Down for Maintenance

Squarebirds.org will be down for a few hours on Sunday morning (Feb. 24th) just after midnight Eastern Standard Time, for maintenance. Eastern time is Coordinated Universal Time (or UTC-4), for all our international members. - Dave
See more
See less

Heavy steering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy steering

I've had the toe-in adjusted on my '55 T-bird with manual (non-power) steering. Yet the steering is still so tight and heavy that when I've completed a turn and release the steering wheel for the car to return to going straight, the front wheels do not entirely return and I must finish straightening out the car from the turn.

I don't know if this is normal for the 55's or not. Do they normally have very heavy and tight steering?

Please reply to my email which is academicjoq@yahoo.com
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

It may be worn steering parts or improper camber setting.

Comment

Check the lube in the steering box. I use 600 weight oil, other guys use STP
      Midland Park, NJ
      56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

Sterring gear ...

You can just pump it full of general purpose grease using a grease gun. Mike

Comment

I would check tyre pressure is correct and get the castor checked too.
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

I have heard of this being used, but I wouldn't do it because the moving parts will make a path through the grease and not really lubricate it. You need something more fluid.

Originally posted by gaffney1951 View Post
            You can just pump it full of general purpose grease using a grease gun. Mike
            Midland Park, NJ
            56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

Working...
            X