PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold fasteners

60 T-Bird
09-09-2010, 12:03 PM
While removing my exhaust off the exhaust flange off the manifold (no easy job) I noticed that on the drivers side are 2 studs with nuts and on the passenger side, 1 stud with nut and the other is a bolt which was a bear to remove. Is this factory? I was thinking of putting a stud in before reassembly. Maybe it's an assembly issue. That the pipe flange has to be on against the exhaust manfold first as a clearance issue. Anybody know?

partsetal
09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Not a clearance issue if the right length studs are used. Originally there were studs. The bolt was probably added because it was close at hand and the studs had to be ordered. It could have also been used after someone had to drill a broken stud out and retap the hole. Check the size and thread count to see if they're all the same.
Carl

tbird430
09-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Be carefull. If you use a stud -which is too long- you can also crack into a water port in the head. This will give you a coolant leak.

Don't ask, but I've been there before. And I was SCARED as heck when I was there too!! :eek:

-Jon in TX.

60 T-Bird
09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Be carefull. If you use a stud -which is too long- you can also crack into a water port in the head. This will give you a coolant leak.

Don't ask, but I've been there before. And I was SCARED as heck when I was there too!! :eek:

-Jon in TX.

This is the stud that goes into the exhaust manifold...not the head.

tbird430
09-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Oh, you mean at the exhaust pipe end. I understand now, sorry for the confusion.

:rolleyes:

tp tbird
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
On mine when I took it off there is one stud and one bolt on each side of the exhaust manifold.It maybe a mounting thing or a clearence thing for the starter.