08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Aug 7 Corvette’s for Kids & Classics 13311 South Freeway Burleson TX
Aug 7 Patriotic Car Show 1601 Custer Rd Plano TX
Aug 7 Street Havoc 3201 East Houston St San Antonio TX
Aug 7 Optimist Car Show& Swap Meet 2901 N. Alexander Baytown TX
Aug 7-8 Yellow Rose Classic 3400 Burnett Tandy Dr Fort Worth TX
Aug 13-15 Summer's Last Blast Vernon TX
Aug 14 LaVernia Park Foundation BBQ Cook-Off and Car Show Hwy 87 LaVernia TX
Aug 14 Longview Show & Shine 100 Grand Blvd Longview TX Aug 14 NBMM Motorcycle Ride and Car Show 1420 E Palm Valley Blvd, Hwy 79 Round Rock TX
Aug 14 Samuels Summer Sizzle Car Show 2900 Slaughter Ln Austin TX
Aug 14 Three Months of Summer Car Show 700 S Westgreen Katy TX
Aug 14 Triple C Car Show Central Christian Church, 4901 Lake Shore Dr Waco TX
Aug 15 WEGO Passionate Rides Car Show 4601 Bosque Blvd Waco TX
Aug 21 Biggest and Hottest Car Show 2300 Boonville Rd Bryan TX
Aug 21 Thunder on The Plains Car Show Wilson at Ave R Levelland TX
Aug 27-29 Giddings Swap Meet 2495 Hwy 290 W Giddings TX

:cool:

Anders
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Aug 7-8 Yellow Rose Classic 3400 Burnett Tandy Dr Fort Worth TX
:cool:

Interesting. Wish I was at this show, as "Ruth" lived in Fort Worth for most of her life :)

YellowRose
08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks for sending that list, Jon! Hey! They named a car show after "Yellow Rose" already and she ain't even been seen in public at a car show yet! However, after seeing that event here in San Antonio, I am thinking of getting her out of the garage and let her strut her stuff at this event. There is a $250 prize and trophy for Best Classic. The good thing about this show is that it is indoors at the Freeman Coliseum near where the Spurs play. The bad thing is you need to get there at 07:30am! I am not an early riser! I don't know about Rose though!:D She might be!

tbird430
08-05-2010, 04:19 PM
:D

Not a problem Ray. (and goodluck). :)

-Jon in N.TX.

Dan Leavens
08-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Ray you statement " you are not an early riser" holds truth, as I see the times you send me e-mails at the " wee " hours of the morning. I am sure that even you can take time off, get a good nights rest and get there fro 7.30 am:eek:

YellowRose
08-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Welll, I am gonna go to the Street Havoc auto show in the morning! It will be my first time to step out with Rose and see how she is received. I have Rose looking pretty good. Joseph was able to get that stain out of the yellow material (whatever it was) off the left side of the center console. I did some interior clean up. I think she is looking pretty well. She still needs to have some things done to her yet. I need new vent window glass, and the chrome frames they sit in. I also need a new passenger side window and the back windows and chrome. I did not get to the disc brake and dual MC/power booster job yet, but I will. All in all, she looks pretty good and it is time to let her strut her stuff and see what she can do!

I drove her quite a bit this morning and afternoon. She got a lot of attention, picture taking, and questions whenever I stopped somewhere. This afternoon, I had my display board made up and a Standard & Optional listing each put in plastic for display. The display board is a gift from Anders and one of his graphics guys. This does not do it justice, but this is what it looks like below. I will use it tomorrow! Thanks, Anders! I gots to get there early to get a good spot AND it is NOT indoors, as I thought!:( It is outdoors, so I am taking a folding chair with a top over it to protect me from the sun. Judging is about noon, and the awards about 6pm at closing time. I hope neither she or me melts in this high 90's temperature! I gots to get to bed early tonight! What a change that will be for me! Here is my display board.

Richard D. Hord
08-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey Ray,
Love the display board, now go have some fun! Let us know what people say!
Richard D. Hord

YellowRose
08-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Welll, I experienced my first ever car show with judging! I got up at 6am to get there by 07:30 for registration. It took me an hour and 45 minutes to get through the registration process! A good part of the time I let Rose run for a couple of reasons. One because at that time of the morning it was already in the 80"s and I was sweating already! The other reason is I wanted to see how she would handle that long sit with AC running. She did very well! She stayed on the M in TEMP. Steady as a rock. I got parked and as it turned out, by a bunch of really nice people. They were a big help to this newbie at this. I got Rose all tricked out ready for show at noon. They showed up to my Tbird (the ONLY one there that I am aware of) at about 5pm. The awards were at 6pm and they started handing them out around 6:30. Rose won her first trophy! She took 3rd place in the Classic Division. Those around me tell me that I was robbed! They said they saw the 1st and 2nd cars and Rose beat them hands down. Oh well, I am not complaining. You have to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run and run before you can sprint!

My new friend, Amy is sprinting! She took 1st in Import Wild Custom (ya gotta see this car!, with her '97 Honda Prelude tricked out like I never saw before! Then she took Best In Show in her class also. She has nothing but 1st place trophies and 1st place Best In Show with this car. Her dad and brother put it all together for her for her high school graduation. It has been a winning car ever since. Later on tonight, I will post or send out in email more pix of the show. Probably the latter. Here is Yellow Rose showing off her first trophy!

Richard D. Hord
08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey Ray,
You have nothing to be ashamed of. Rose is a beautiful car and you have allot of time and money invested in her. I went through the same thing with my '78 Thunderbird. Some of the shows I went to I did not think they were going to let me in. Some you win and some you lose. Some of these judges play favorites to some of there buddies.
Hold your head up and go on to the next one, let me tell you it will be different!
Your Thunderbird friend,
Richard D. Hord

YellowRose
08-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Here are some more pix of Rose strutting her stuff! Just a few. I think I might put the rest of them in a web page and put up the link. I don't know if I will get to that tonight. I have some 30 emails hanging that came in while I was gone all day. Anyway, here are a few more pix so you can her doing her thang!

gaffney1951
08-08-2010, 12:32 AM
good to see her done, and you enjoying her.:) Mike

bird 60
08-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Congratulations Ray,:cool::cool::cool::D:D:D;););) One show down & many more to follow. Did you take any shots of the 1st & 2nd place cars so that we can compare & possibly criticize? Waiting to see some shots of the Trunk & the Engine Bay as well.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Richard D. Hord
08-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Hey Ray,
AWESOME!!!
Richard D. Hord

simplyconnected
08-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Ray, your car is a trophy winner! It's also worth a lot more than any 'book' value, because of the trophy. I have confidence that Rose will win MANY first place prizes in the future because she is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on winning in your very first show. - Dave Dare

Anders
08-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Congratiolations Ray!
She looks totally fantastic!
Love this pic!
http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3427&stc=1&d=1281240332
Look at those wheels! :D Totally love them! And the rose on the seat!:cool:

YellowRose
08-09-2010, 02:11 AM
It has taken me awhile, but I have put some pictures into a new web page for Rose. Here she is doing her thing at the car show on Saturday! I hope you enjoy the pictures.

http://thunderbirds.fortunecity.com/YellowRoseAwards/YellowRoseStrutsHerStuff.htm

simplyconnected
08-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Fabulous pictures on Fortune City, Ray. Rose sure is pretty.

tbird430
08-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Congrat's Ray. I knew you two would be bringing something home after the show. May that be the 1st of many more sir. Your wife would be so proud... :)

-Jon in TX.

YellowRose
08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Here are the pix of Amy's Award Winning Honda and the other cars at "Street Havoc" San Antonio on Saturday. I hope you enjoy them! I probably could have gotten more if I had not been trying to keep from frying in the hot Texas sun!:eek:

http://thunderbirds.fortunecity.com/StreetHavoc2010/StreetHavoc-SanAntonio-7Aug10.htm

Anders
08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I like that Orange & White Pick up on the top picture.
I totally dislike all cars with 20+ inch wheels and with 12 feet ride height.... Not to mension a TV in the trunk :eek: :eek: :eek:Why?
Nice ´59 Fairlane though! :)

Richard D. Hord
08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Hey Ray,
I'm sorry, but these cars (except maybe for the Monte Carlo and the Cutlass) will never be classics! Each to there own, they are new cars and trucks that the owners have tons of money to blow on them. They have no value except to the owner! They need to try to restore a 50 year plus vehicle (or even 40 year plus) that is starting to show the ware and tare of use and time. Its not the same.
I had a friend in our local car club that had spent over $25,000 dollars on a Toyota 4x4. It was nice, very nice and immaculate. He got tired of it and sold it for book value. Now what did he gain, nothing! What you do to a new vehicle, more than likely no one else will not like it or they would have done something different!
Once again I'm sorry and I know I'm going to make someone mad. But if its not pre '80 its not worth spending all that money on!!!
This is my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of Squarebirds and or its members!
Richard D. Hord

YellowRose
08-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi Richard,

Everyone has their own opinion about things and that is what makes the mop flop, the world turn, etc.. There certainly were cars there that I did not care for either. But to each their own! BTW, someone asked me how many cars were there. The director of the event told me they had some 300 cars. They also had drifting competitions going on all day long. Guys out there going through the turns, drifting and smoking their tires. I gather they had a sponsor to replace all the tires they burnt rubber off of! He told me that next year they are going to try to schedule this event for Spring, like March or April of so, or October perhaps. Good idea! They might get even better turnout.

tbird430
08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
I think I can understand now how you might have been "tossed" out of 1st place, Ray. With these types of cars there many of them would belong to a certain car club. The votes can easily be "swayed" at some of these car shows just for that 1 reason alone... :( Supporting their own, Even shows that get judged only by the "host car club" members feel pressure to reward other local & bigger car clubs by voting for their members cars- like a way of saying thanks for coming out to our event.

Sad but true.

-Jon in TX.

YellowRose
08-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Hi Jon,

You might very well be right. Others who were there around me, in other classes also told me the same thing. They also mentioned that since I am a newbie at this, that I might have to "work my way up" in the rankings... If that is the case, so be it. I have done that before in other things and I can do it again. Sometimes you have to pay your dues, as the saying goes. I have not heard back from the judge yet about how the car was rated. I do hope she sends me the report so I can see what I need to work on yet. I will just keep working on her and see what happens. I hope to take her out to an evening event, "Friday Night Fever", but it is not a judged event. Just an opportunity to show off your car amongst a bunch of other people. It will give me a chance to meet more people who show their cars.

bird 60
08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Ray, what you'll find out after awhile is that our cars don't suit all shows. From what I noticed was that it was an Open Car Show meaning whatever make & year. Where our cars feel at home is up against the same cars or cars of the same Era. As far as favoritism goes there's a lot of that.:mad:

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

scumdog
08-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Was at the Christian Cruisers Car Show near DFW wiyhth Yellowbird last night, biggest ever turnout they have had but sadly only two 'birds, a '59 and a '55. (I think!)

A real nice '69 Fairlane there- 428 & 4-speed, one family ownership - also a 427 '63 Galaxie.

I got the impression it would be tough going for an outsider to cruise in and pick up a top prize - if you know what I mean...

YellowRose
08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi Tom!

I forgot that you were going to be in the States this month! Are you going to be anywhere near San Antonio, on your trip? If so, please let me know! My phone number is in my signature element. I would be pleased to meet you and show you around my historical city! That goes for anyone else who will be visiting in this area, also!

scumdog
08-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Tom!

I forgot that you were going to be in the States this month! Are you going to be anywhere near San Antonio, on your trip? If so, please let me know! My phone number is in my signature element. I would be pleased to meet you and show you around my historical city! That goes for anyone else who will be visiting in this area, also!

Ray, I'd LOVE to get to see your 'bird 'in the flesh' but at the moment time and $$$ dictate otherwise, however the kindness of my hosts and all I have met in Texas means I will have to return here so then I will visit you then!.

YellowRose
08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi Tom,

I am sorry to hear that your plans do not include a trip to San Antonio this time. However, you have an open invitation on your next trip! I am glad you have experienced our famous Texas Friendly welcoming while here and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. When you get back and settled in, we would love to hear more about it.