PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Lubrication

mit634
07-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys,
About a week ago I replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 430 while out on the road. Just yesterday I removed the replacement pump and noticed that the mechanical arm was still completely oil free, just as when I installed it.

I was just wondering how these pumps are supposed to get lubricated ?

Thanks
Tim

simplyconnected
07-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Tim, every time I change a fuel pump, I cover the moving parts with lots of STP mixed with motor oil. I don't want it like honey, but the oil needs to 'hang-on' until engine oil washes it away.

Some parts get minimal oil from a 'slinger' or just from oil vapors. Timing chains (and gears) are notorious for being oil-starved. That's why they stretch so soon. If the timing chain doesn't get much oil, you can imagine the fuel pump eccentric doesn't either. But, these components tend to last a very long time, so it's hard to argue with success; they must get enough lubrication from somewhere.

KULTULZ
08-01-2010, 07:53 AM
The 430 is unique in that the pump is driven by a push rod. The only oil that will come close to the pivot shaft is a little slung from the push rod.

There is a return oil drain that feeds the cam gear and is splashed over the timing set from there. The fuel pump itself needs very little lube as it is a closed unit. The FE fuel pump will be covered in oil due to it's mounting position.

mit634
08-08-2010, 07:04 AM
That's great. Thanks so much for the advice.

63-4drpost
08-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I have an electric fuel pump on my 1960 t-bird. I was so anxious to get it started, I drove it with the stock fuel pump mount open, no pump or block-off plate. The front of the engine and left inner fender were covered with oil! If I remember right, the tip of the pushrod is some kind of graffite impregnated material.I din't remember which end rubs against the ecentric, probably the graffite end.

63-4drpost
08-26-2010, 06:40 PM
the junk smal block chefs use a pushrod for the fuel pump too.