PDA

View Full Version : My new 60 Golde J-bird - shipping help

vernz
04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I decided to hunt around for another Squarebird that had a body a little more solid than my 59. Ended up snatching a 1960 Golde top. 430, a/c, all the power options, working AM radio, leather interior. A couple of dings, 95% rust free, tired seats (with one tear), chrome needs some help. Told it runs great and has no leaks. It is all original, has never been repaired or repainted. 86K miles and owner says he has data that shows it has not turned over 100K. Colors match data plate.
1 of 377.....I'm happy.
Now to get it from California to New York. Does anybody have any recommendations for a car transporter. Even though it needs repainting, I'd still favor closed transport to avoid any rock chips in the glass. Herre's a couple of pics:

Anders
04-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Congrats!:D
Great looking car with a great looking colour.

Coral
04-10-2009, 01:41 AM
There is a website I have used before called
http://www.uship.com

You can search by various methods, and there is a feedback area for the providers. Most service providers post their insurance/bond/equipment information directly in their listings as well as their business website.

Swell looking Birdy there....hope you enjoy!

YellowRose
04-10-2009, 02:02 AM
You got a great looking car that seems to be in pretty good shape. Enjoy!

Cathie just gave you a lead for USHIP.com El Guapo has used it in the past and was very pleased with their service. I did a search on "shipping", "shipping cars" and "Auto Transport" on our Forum and came up with these past posts..

kevinob

kevinob
Default RE: shipping companies
I have shipped several cars in the past. The fastest is DAS Automotive Shippers, but they are the most expensive. I've also used a 'broker', which was quite a bit cheaper, but the shipping time depends on where your car is being picked up from, and shipped to.
On one occasion, after waiting for a week to get my pickup scheduled, I was told it could be within a few days, or it might be another 3 weeks.........so I cancelled that order, and shipped it the next day with DAS......but paid the price...

tully
Experienced
Default shipping
Try USHIP.com , they just moved my 60 from calf to florida for $1000

gjcook
Whoever you get, make sure they can safely load and unload a squarebird. The 58-60 birds sit lower than most autos they transport and don't clear with a steep transition for the ramp.

When I relocated from AK to CT last year, I had my 59 mild custom shipped. The transporter bottomed it out at the ramp transition with the following results: crushed fuel and brake lines, dented rocker panels, custom SS exhaust crushed. Their insurance covered the cost of repair but it still cost me a complete Show/cruise season and about 100 hours to fix it.

It's worth the extra effort/cost associated with someone that specializes in collectible and classic autos that's familiar with classic T-birds.

Greg

Dan Leavens
Mike over the years some of our members have used the following companies, to move their cars as they are Ebay owned or partner.

Gigamoves ( owned by Ebay )

Express Auto Transport ( partner of Ebay)

If you Google the above names you can get quotes online. As RustNca says Fedex has a company called Passport Auto Transport.

Shop around as you can save a lot of $$$$

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada

fomoco59
04-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Vern, Nice grab!! Is that Beechwood Brown? Now I'll HAVE to swing up to Saratoga again to see this one !

Here's one restored by Ken Harkema several years ago. His website: http://www.kensklassic.com/index.html

http://www.kensklassic.com/Ebay/leftside.jpg

Another full restoration - 1960 factory 430 powered sunroof

tarps3
04-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Now to get it from California to New York. Does anybody have any recommendations for a car transporter. Even though it needs repainting, I'd still favor closed transport to avoid any rock chips in the glass. Herre's a couple of pics:

I have a private shipper (friend of mine) that I've used often.
He's based in Oklahoma City and ships a lot of cars for our local NBA team.
Totally enclosed and very quick shipping.
Very personalized service...top notch equipment.

he often goes to California and could bring yours back on the return trip and head on to NY.

let me know if you are interested and I can send you his email.

vernz
04-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks you everyone for the responses:

tarps3 - please get me the contact information, I sent you a PM with my e-mail address.
fomoco59 - the color is beechwood brown and the interior is leather, code 84. the picture you posted is great - that is exactly what i want mine to look like. mine also has the sunray caps with colored hubs.
Yellow Rose - I will check out all of the shippers you mention. Thanks for the excellent tip about shippers bottoming out the car. The one I'm buying has dents in the rockers on both sides. The current owner thought a prior owner had run over a curb, but it could certainly be from bad shipping.
Coral - Thanks for the shipper name. As I said I will check them all out.
Anders - thanks for the compliment.

Here are a couple of interior pictures:

Coral
04-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Is she soundly running?

I'm thinking of flying out and driving back?

GADS what a trip that would be!
Musts are:
sound and video for squarebird followers, lol

Richard D. Hord
04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey vernz,
Congratulations, She is gorgeous!!!:)

vernz
04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Coral - I thought about a road trip....BRIEFLY. 2,800 miles is more strain than I would want to put on her. I bought this sight unseen (other than photos) so I am taking the word of the seller that it runs great and nothing leaks. The owner also said that he would not trust the old tires on the highway.
Richard - Thanks, I too think she is a beauty.
However, her sister is getting pretty jealous, so here's my 59. It's a "20 footer" but looks great in the picture.

Vern

Coral
04-10-2009, 07:21 PM
:cool:

Still, a few, OK many thoughts linger on the road trip back...WHAT an adventure!
Surely to be on the Lifetime network next yr as a tear jerker!

LOL

Please keep us updated as to the re-location of your new birdy!

dgs
04-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Nice car, I think I saw that one on eBay, right?

Dan Leavens
04-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Vern she is a good looking squarebird and I always liked that colour both exterior and interior. Don't worry about the 59 being jealous:eek: as that's a good thing and one more classic being saved:p

saverio
04-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Nice bird and rare too!!

Good Luck!

sal

trim code 76
04-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Very nice car, saw it on ebay, if I had one more garage stall I would have bought it! PLEASE CONSIDER THIS: LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!! DO NOT TOUCH A THING. THIS IS A SURVIVOR, THEY ARE VERY RARE ANYMORE TO FIND ONE THIS ORIGINAL. This is a rare car to begin with, having it be untouched makes it that much rarer. I deal only in unrestored cars, this one may have a little wear but that just shows that it is the real deal. THEY ARE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!! PLEASE LEAVE THIS ONE ALONE! Thank you for letting me speak my piece. Wish I would have bought it now. NICE CAR THE WAY IT IS RIGHT NOW. I have what looks like the last 1960 bird off the line, all original except for the paint. Paint could not be saved. Is right now being painted in the factory J30 silver enamal with no clear coat, some orange peal will be left in for that factory look. If you want to talk some more let me know.

byersmtrco
04-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Nice find !!! Congrats !!!

vernz
04-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Trim code 76,

First of all, congratulations on the last 1960 bird. That is great!! As to restore or leave alone, this sounds like an interesting debate to have. Leave it alone or redo the paint? I have not seen the car in person so I can't make a decision yet. According to the owner, it has a little pinhole in the side behind the door and there are some rust bubbles poking through above the right fender skirt. In the pictures it looks like someone hit those areas with touch up spray paint that doesn't match very well. There are a couple of small dents in the left front, around the headlights and there are dents in the bottom of both rocker panels. The owner thought a previous owner ran over a curb or something. He also stated the paint is getting thin in places and primer is peeking through. To me that description does not sound like a car that is a candidate for leaving as is. Comments?

I'll get some better pictures when I actually have the car (still waiting for shipping quotes).

BTW, I received the title for the car today. It has an error in the VIN! There is a Z in the engine code position! The picture of the data plate clearly shows a J and there were no Z code engines in 1960. Oh boy, I get to straighten this out with the department of motor vehicle folks.

Vern

trim code 76
04-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Vern,
To help answer your question on whether or not to restore the car, I would like to recommend the book, "They are only original once" By Richard Lintenelo (Spelling off, too lazy to get the book out of the office in the garage). he is the chief editor for Hemmings classic car. The book clearly shows numerious cars in less than perfect paint. One Shelby that is sadly in disrepair but is known as the only shelby left that is 100% unrestored!!! The book is fantastic, a great read and may influance your decision (Hope so!). It is the way I look at our hobby, do not get me wrong I like the perfectly restored cars as much as the next guy. There is something about an unrestored car though, I look at it as it has a story to tell (Like you gandparents). When an antique or valuable painting has it's paint a little tatered, it is not refinished, it is preserved and called patina in a very respectful way. The car hobby is the only one that is totally different where the value goes up for taking away the originality and restoring it. Makes you think. Please, lets keep in touch!! I am very jellious of your new car. VERY NICELY DONE!! Hope my thoughts are a help and can spur some discussion! I do not know if we can share emails on this site, if we can I wold be wiling to do that with you. Have a good one!!
Greg

GTE427
04-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I support Greg's view. When Vern's Golde Top was for sale, I looked at the pictures and thought if I were to purchase this car, I would do minimal to the car based on the picture presented.

The car would have to be evaluated for spot repairs while maintaining most of what is original, and have a good cleaning. I would be tolerant of allot in order to preserve a mostly original car. And for the few that would knock the car for it's battle scars, I'd take comfort in knowing who gets to drive it home afterwards and enjoy it in the future.

Good luck with the car, hope to see more details once you've gotten the car home.

tbird430
04-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I am jealsous as well, a 430cid sunroof - WITH A/C!!! I love the two-tone color scheme as well. She's a rare jewel indeed.... :)

-Jon

Coral
04-18-2009, 01:55 AM
:D

This is all so VERY exciting!

I was going through some papers today and found a few sheets I xerox'ed out of the 40 Years of Thunder T-bird book by John Gunnell, how does the forum feel about copyrighted material being scanned and sent in ? ( proper full credits given of course! )

Of the pages I've got, there is no specific car or VIN mentioned....but if someone here has the book, maybe they can pursue through it and double check.

I started looking for an email for Mr. Gunnell and I believe I might have found it, as well as a website blog he has, but I have not checked it out as yet...I will forward this info to Ray to check out if he wishes - since I will be out of town in the early am both sat and sun at a dog show.

If indeed this IS the last car, I would sit and wait until you rest your eyes and hands upon it all before making ANY decision about re-doing anything....

Gotten my stimulus check so I can offer 4 cents....

LOL

vernz
04-20-2009, 06:55 AM
She's on her way to her new home on the other side of the country!!

Vern

Coral
04-20-2009, 08:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/astikennels/002725231.gif

And what an awesome ride she's got!

Richard D. Hord
04-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Hey Vern,
Once again, man she's gorgeous!!!:)

GTE427
04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Vern,

Good luck with the journey. I used the same carrier when I purchased my 59 from N Carolina. They did a nice job without any problems, my car was in the top/back berth and rode the lift gate up much as yours is pictured.

They were able to provide updates to the car's location while enroute and stated a four hour notice prior to reaching my house. Only gave me a one hour notice and the driver had to wait as I left work to meet with him and I'm an hour from home. My journey was only ~600 miles compared to the 3000plus you'll have. The anticipation must be killing you!

Rockin Kev
04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi,
Have you ever looked at putting the car in a container and ship it by boat to New Jersey??? cheaper than you might think.
Plenty of shipping agents in NJ.

Nice buy!!! i wanted that car but could not sell my Convertible.
Kev
Past J code Golde owner.
Next time i am in NYC i want a ride in the Finish car please????
Kev.
England.

LuckyJay
04-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Good thing it's a Golde Top... what with the tree growing out the top.

trim code 76
04-27-2009, 02:08 AM
We want many pics when she arrives. Detailed of the engine, interior, trunk...THE WHOLE THING!!!! By the way ...I know that guy in England....watch him in your car, Have you seen the way they drive???? Wrong side of the road and all!!! LOL kev!!!!!!!
Greg (Yank)

bird 60
04-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Watch it Greg,:rolleyes: you're opening Medusas box here. Us (Blokes) guys here in Australia & New Zealand drive on the wrong side as well:( The amount of accidents we have is un-believable:p They don't call us Mad Ausies & Kiwis for nothing you know.;) But then again the Poms do have awfully narrow roads compared to ours:eek:

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

YellowRose
04-27-2009, 02:43 AM
I always thought us Americans drove on the right side of the road, and the Brits, Aussies and Kiwi's always told me that they drove on the CORRECT side of the road! lol...:D

Penelope
04-27-2009, 02:49 AM
Ray, you are on the money! Got interesting for me driving in the states last week...
Lets see, I have my right hand drive cars, that I drive on the left hand side of the road, and I have my left hand drive car (soon to be cars - another story with a 1959 about to join us) that I drive on the left hand side of the road here, then I went to Amercica and drove a left hand drive car on the right hand side of the road.

I even got confused just writing that, let alone doing it...only drove into oncoming traffic twice in three weeks!

YellowRose
04-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Bill, I am not about to say what I once did on here. But you know, because I told you! Yes, it really gets confusing when you have left hand drive cars on left hand roads, and right hand drive cars on left hand drive roads, and ohhhh, I am already getting confused! :rolleyes:

bird 60
04-27-2009, 03:17 AM
I read sometime ago that the early U.S. cars were right hand drive & driven on the right side of the road.
The steering was changed to the left for two reasons.
(1) The passenger didn't have to worry about oncoming traffic:eek:
(2) The passenger didn't have to step on any Horse c@#%p,
as there was still a hell of a lot of horse drawn buggies:eek:
Noooooow all they had to do was drive on the left Hand side of the road & leave the steering the way it was.
That way my Friends we would all be driving the same.:cool:

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

scumdog
04-27-2009, 05:31 AM
I get even more confusion going from my NZ assembled right-hand steering '55 F100 with it's turn-signal on the right of the steering column to the T-bird with the turn-signal switch on the right...

GTE427
05-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Vern, any updates? has the car arrived?