PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the float

Penelope
03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
I sit here each day somewhat smugly reading about other peoples problems and think how lucky I am to have a Bird that is ultra reliable......shouldnt do that.

Went to start her yesterday to drive her down to the mechnics to sort out a minor power steering leak. Turn the key, cough splutter, volumes of smoke......more smoke...nothing. Much cursing later and a proper look shows fuel pouring out the side of the Holley. I then had to fly out back to the office last night so left the car in the hands of the son-in-laws....sounds dangerous. But they pull out the float and find it full of fuel, an easy fix as soon as the Holley shop re-opens tomorrow.

My question is - how does a float get a hole in it, it really doesnt have much to do, does it?

tbirds8
03-01-2009, 07:11 PM
It gets in the seem. I thought i would solder one years ago. Well that wasn't the smartest thing I ever did. You know the rest.

Dan Leavens
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Bill it happens to all of us sooner or later. Depending on how old the Holley is, now may be a good time to consider a swap out.:confused: Over the years they do wear out at the seams as tbirds8 has stated along with other areas and they never seem to be quite the same. The old knock on Holley's ( unless you have a six pack system on a muscle car ) is that you can run 10 of them for awhile and then only one of them will work properly. We had some extensive discussions on the site about Edlebrock, Carter for our squarebirds and I just installed a 600 cfm Edelbrock on my 60HT with resounding success:)

scumdog
03-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Had that happen with a Holley that I'd bought brand new, drove me mad for years as the float slowly filled and it would slowly run richer and richer..and I'd adjust the float-level....then it would start to run rich...ya get the picture!!

Found the problem EVENTUALLY and used an electric soldering bolt to solder over the pin-hole after drying out the float.

Had NO problem using the soldering bolt.

Penelope
03-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Well, I am getting the carby re-kitted at the same as time as changing over the float. Up until now, I never had a problem starting or running and hopefully the situation will be the same after!