PDA

View Full Version : Another 60 with Tranny problems

tully
11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
I also had tranny problems today, but have a question. I just had my Radiator redone and i installed it. Could this cause a AIR lock in my tranny and that's why I lost all forward gears?

Here in florida it does not get that cold to cause any problem I think.

Dennis

tully
11-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Was working on my 71 mustang today, And got to thinking about the T-bird's transmission as I had no forward gears yesterday. It was making a sound like a radiator in a house that needed to have the air bleed out of the line.

So I took a rag and a screw driver and bleed out some of the trans fiuld out via the pressure valve at the rear of the engine, With the engine running and the car in park. let out maybe a 1/2 pint +- some.

cleaned up the mess and took it for a ride works fine now.

Dennis

tbird430
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
REALLY???!!! :cool: That is odd now isn't it...... :confused:

bcomo
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Dennis:

This is really interesting.

If I remember, the sound that a house radiator makes when it needs to be bled is kind of a clunking sound. Is that what your tranny sounded like with the engine idling in park?

When you bled that tranny fluid out, did you really get air and tranny fluid, or just the tranny fluid.

tully
12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
more like a whin the any clunking sound, don't know if any air came out as I had a rag over the whole thing... and still made a mess. Transmission works fine now, before I had no forward gears...

Penelope
12-02-2008, 01:03 AM
When you get this sorted (and so as not to steal the thread) can someone please tell me what a house radiator is? We dont have them in Oz, well that I know of anyway.

Bill

YellowRose
12-02-2008, 03:47 AM
I think this is what Bart was referring to... An older home heater that used to be used in older houses, and is probably still in use in many houses, for that matter.

GTE427
12-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Yes, my home was built in 1941, plenty of black pipe in the basement and up thru the walls to the second floor. There is a distinctive cling-clang as the pipes heat up and expand while the floor creeks at the same time. The dogs are often found laid out along the radiators, these cast iron masses sure throw off some heat while the boiler/heater is fired up..

Penelope
12-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Wow, thanks guys. I sure have learned some stuff off this wonderful forum!

Bill

49effie
12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Just had to add..................

We have a two pipe hot water system with cast iron radiators similar to the photo below in our house. In my biased opinion this is the best heat. The warm up is not as quick as steam (no banging and clanging) and the radiators continue to give off heat after the circulator pump(s) have shut off. Great for creature comfort (dogs and people). With the two pipe system you can balance water flow to each radiator, thus matching the heat to the load in each room. We have the whole house (except for the bathroom which is on it's own zone - a warm bathroom is the best.....) on one zone and can control each room individually with amazing precision.

With the last delivery of fuel oil at $2.99 (just $.20 above last year) things are looking up for keeping warm (did not do the pre-buy/price protection thing this year). Our annual consumption is about 1,800 gallons - you can do the math as to where fuel oil was at late summer/ealy fall and our ability to heat and put food on the table could have been.

Maybe this should have been an "Anything Goes" conversation?

tully
12-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Here in Florida we don't have heating systems, but it does get cool and have to have some heat.