PDA

View Full Version : Reupholstery Fun

citadel
11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Hello All
I finally got all my front seat foams and seat covers from concours parts and a set of rear seat foams from Jed Zimmerman a while ago and dropped off the old seats and new parts at a local upholstery shop last week. The Gentelman that worked there has been in business for 50 years now and I felt assured all would be well. Well saturday I get a call that the rear seat foams are too small and today I get a call saying the front seat covers are too tight! I called concours and they told me to use thin plastic sheets like dry cleaner bags for the front and they are a real tight fit. I called Jed today and told him what my upholstery guy told me. Jed was quite concerned and contacted my upholstery guy. Well, over the phone, Jed figured out what was wrong with the rear seats. Apparently the upholsterer was setting the foam on incorrectly and that threw everything else off. Jed even told the upholstery guy to use a heat gun (especially here in upstate ny where it's 35 today!) to help the vinyl become more flexible. When Jed called him later to help more with the rear seats, he already had one of the front seats done and ready. So, my seats should be done shortly and my old bird will be another step closer to being road-ready. And thanks to Jed for all the tech support. Once I get everything back, I'll post some pictures.

Chris

tbird430
11-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Way to go Jed. ;)

See I told you guys, Jed is a real stand-up kind of guy. :)

Bob M
11-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Can't wait to see the pictures. isn't fun when everything comes together,sounds like you are getting alot done

Dan Leavens
11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Chris as you probably have figured out by now, there are a lot of very experienced members and guests contributing to this site. There is not much on our TBirds that either hasn't been tried & tested before OR has a better way to do it.The trick is to ask first put the leg work in later. I too would like to see the pictures.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada

citadel
11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Well, I tell you guys what, this car, for being a collection of simple systems, can be a real test of patience. The difficulties I've run into with my brakes, headers, xmsn, replacement parts, and seats lately has almost made me want to sell the car to the highest bidder. I was about through with it when the seat problem came up, but the help from Jed has given me a boost of motivation. I do appreciate all the help I've received, and from reading previous posts. Sometimes I don't know where I'd be without this forum.

Chris
1958 Thunderbird
Body Style 63A (Tudor, headache)