PDA

View Full Version : power window motors

tjacobs
10-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I need four (three might do for now) for a '59 Bird. Any help will be appreciated. Tommy Jacobs

JohnG
10-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Try also John Draxler at the TBird Ranch...

http://www.tbirdranch.com/

he is quite busy and not fast to reply to emails of late but is a wonderful person and resource and has a ton of parts.

John

vernz
10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Tommy, Do you know your motors don't work? On my 59, I had to take apart and clean the contacts in the switches and now all the windows work like a charm.

Vern

tbirds8
10-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a relay if they all don't work. Not sure were that is on a 59. If you find it you can jump it but just for a liitle while. Don't leave it hooked up like that. All 4 windows on my 66 didn't work so i bypassed the relay and WALA. I dout all 4 motors are shot..

GTE427
10-02-2008, 06:58 AM
The power window relay is located on the firewall, passenger side , above the heater plenum. The relay is larger than a typical relay such as the horn relay. If the car also has power seats, the relays are mounted together, the smaller being the seat relay.

tjacobs
10-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I will try that. My driver's window is working though it seems slow. THANKS

tjacobs
10-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I am sure you are right because the driver's window does work but it seems slow. THANKS

vernz
10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
If one window works but is slow I'd really take a look at the switch. When you pull the switch unit out there is a screw on the bottom of each switch that holds on a bus bar between pairs of switches. That same screw also hods in the guts of the switch. All you have to do is take each switch out of the chromed mounting plate, pull the switch gut s out (1 piece) and clean the 4 contacts in the switch body and switch lever. The other thing to check is the motor grounds. For the quarter windows there is a ground relay mounted on the floor under the seat bottom for each window. Mine were fine, but I'm told that they sometimes failed and you lost a good ground. You can jumper out the relay to test them. I'm not sure about a ground relay for the front windows.

Vern

Anders
10-03-2008, 02:14 PM
My switch for the drivers door started to get worse and worse, until I have to kind of press it into one corner in order to get any contact.
In the end, I took the whole unit out, and started to take it apart. Well, that was my plan anyway. Could not get those clips in between the switches off, so instead of risking breaking something, I gave the whole unit a major splash with some kind of "Oxide cleaner", and that did the trick. Everything works just perfect after that. :D