PDA

View Full Version : 430cid Questions

tbird430
05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Do I need to paint my front engine timing cover black, or does it remain the factory cast aluminum?

Also, has anyone had any luck finding the stove pipe gasket for the right exhaust manifold? It seals off the "cover" where our choke tube picks up heat at. Of course the 352cid gasket is available new, and is also different from the 430cid cars. :rolleyes: It is Ford base PN#9903.

Thanks in advance guys,
-Jon

bcomo
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
The OFS book says "Engine Color", so it's Black. I bead blasted mine, and the cast aluminum looked awesome -- then I painted it Black.

I didn't take the the cover gasket off, and didn't replace it. You can make one if you need to using exhaust gasket material -- I've seen some at Auto Zone.

If you need to get to it later, it's one of the few things on a 430 that you can get to easily.

bcomo
05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Jon:

Correction -- It might not be that easy to get to that heat riser gasket later on, if you use the original sheet steel manifold gasket. The sheet steel gasket covers part of the plate.

tbird430
05-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Okay Bart, thanks again. I hadn't seen the exhaust gasket material like u mentioned at Autozone before. I'll go check it out... ;)