PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold gaskets

tbird430
01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Do the 430cid cars use an exhaust manifold gasket on them, or maybe a metal heat shield? If so are they still available? My car has what I would call metal heat shields that fit between the head and exhaust manifold, but my heads were reworked by the original owner before I took ownership of the T-bird, so I don't know what was O.E.

Thanks in advance... ;)

bcomo
01-06-2008, 08:27 PM
That would be the same as I have on mine.

The illustrated parts catalog calls it an "Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield/Gasket" (B9S-9448-A).
It does not show anything else in between the head and manifold other than that one item.

T-Bird Sanctuary lists them at $28.67 a pair.
Mac's lists them at $15.95 a pair.

I've never had one in my hand, but it must be a combination heat shield and gasket.

Let me know if you find out different.

tbird430
01-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Okay. Thanks Bart. BTW, how did ur drive to the shop go Friday? :D

bcomo
01-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I got her to the shop with no problem -- a real trooper.

They are a machine shop and do everything from drag engines to dyno tests. They will pull the engine with tranny and rebuild the engine from the ground up.

By the way -- he said that they always use brass freeze plugs. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed untill they call to say that it's out of the car. I'm supossed to be able to take photos during the pull and rebuild. I don't expect it to be done for a month or so.

tbird430
01-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Good to hear, since they ALWAS use brass freeze plugs that MUST be a good sign- eh? That and the mechanics name... LOL!!! :D