PDA

View Full Version : 430 engine building...

Husky35
01-26-2007, 09:11 PM
posted on MEL site also.

In my previous post I think I mentioned that I bought my car (59 tbird) and the engine had already been "done". It wasn't original but we figured out it was an early 430 59/60. We are finding out that the bottom half was done, 4 cylinders sleeved, crank ground, new pistons, etc. Question 1- I have the "non-wedged" pistons (pardon my ignorance). What is the effect on drivability or type of gas I have to use?

We have discovered that the oil pump is thesame as an FE only the drive shaft is longer to accomodate the vacuum pump, as well as the distributor is the same. This is very good news as I really want a "pretty" distributor.

Question 2-the valley cover was shot, so I bought one on ebay. It doesn't fit. There is a baffle on the block that sticks up and is not allowing it to be bolted down. the new one also has a pcv vent. Can I remove the baffle? I would like to use the pcv vent instead of a down draft tube.

Question 3- the pan is shot. Is the pan unique to the 430 or is it also an FE?

By the way, the cam is off to get reground and we are replacing the valves with stainless valve.

byersmtrco
01-31-2007, 01:05 AM
You need to contact an expert on these. They are a "Wedge motor. One of the locals rebuilt the 430 in his Lincoln Conv a few yrs ago. A set of (correct) pistons was $1800.00
Scary !!!!! Be careful !!! The deck of the block is machined a few degrees (I forget the exact #) to create the wedge combustion chamber. Different than any other Ford config.

Do allot of checking !!

John

Husky35
01-31-2007, 01:27 AM
My engine guy doesn't think it will be a problem. It lowers the compression from 10.5 to 8.5 which means I lose some HP but can use regular. Unfortunately, it is what it is. Here is my new web page:
http://www.squarebirds.org/users/husky35/

I have a few pictures of the motor in it. Not nearly done yet.

Rich

frank58
01-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for sharing those pictures Rich.... nice body panel you had welded in there... that wasn't "store bought" was it?

Husky35
01-31-2007, 05:48 PM
The panel was "store bought" but not by me. It came in the van full of stuff. Unfortunately I don't know where it came from.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures, I spent more time trying to figure out how to post it than it took to make it. Its not perfect yet, I noticed some of the links aren't working. It will get better.

Might have to put some ads in there to help pay for the resto...just kidding. Just bought a carb today...yippee!

KULTULZ
02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
-MEL ENGINE COMBUSTION CHAMBER DESIGN- (http://www.network54.com/Forum/257364/message/1170508355/Combustion+Design+Description)

JBird
03-29-2007, 09:06 AM
posted on MEL site also.

In my previous post I think I mentioned that I bought my car (59 tbird) and the engine had already been "done". It wasn't original but we figured out it was an early 430 59/60. We are finding out that the bottom half was done, 4 cylinders sleeved, crank ground, new pistons, etc. Question 1- I have the "non-wedged" pistons (pardon my ignorance). What is the effect on drivability or type of gas I have to use?

We have discovered that the oil pump is thesame as an FE only the drive shaft is longer to accomodate the vacuum pump, as well as the distributor is the same. This is very good news as I really want a "pretty" distributor.

Question 2-the valley cover was shot, so I bought one on ebay. It doesn't fit. There is a baffle on the block that sticks up and is not allowing it to be bolted down. the new one also has a pcv vent. Can I remove the baffle? I would like to use the pcv vent instead of a down draft tube.

Question 3- the pan is shot. Is the pan unique to the 430 or is it also an FE?

By the way, the cam is off to get reground and we are replacing the valves with stainless valve.

Dave here. I might be able to help you out on the 430 valley cover.

Husky35
03-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey Dave, hope you are feeling well.

I found one a long time ago but forgot to post that its done. My engine is now complete. Cost more than I thought, but probably less than it could. Check out my website periodically to see the progress. Also..

I have been working with Brian on the prototype MSD distributor. Ok, he's doing the work, I'm just there for moral support. Anyway, i think this will be a significant upgrade and we will show pictures as the project progresses. See http://www.network54.com/Forum/257364/message/1175135589/MEL+DISTRIBUTOR+PROTOTYPE thread for details. Originally we thought we would have to make some sort of nylon bushing/seal for the hold down, but looks like Brian has figured it out. If anyone is interested, contact me or Brian bestrada11@hotmail.com for details. Like Brian says, we are looking for a small production run, so every one helps.

tbird430
07-25-2007, 04:30 PM
430 oil pans are different, but u probably figured that out already. :p It took me a LONG TIME to get my replacment!!

KULTULZ
07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Just a reminder-

The 58/60 MEL valley pan is of the same design (road draft) and was changed in 1961 for PCV.

bcomo
07-26-2007, 01:36 PM
tbird430:

I'll need a new oil pan soon. Can you give me a source, and how much do you think one should cost?

I know where there is a 430 in a 61 Lincoln -- will that oil pan work?

Thanks

tbird430
07-26-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't know where u would find just an oil pan for ur 430cid. :( I paid $75.00 for mine last year (shipping and all). Maybe someone on here can confirm that a 430 cid Lincoln car oil pan will work...? :confused:

Sorry, I'll keep my eyes/ears open 4 u though "bcomo".

BTW, Hope u guys get DONE with all that RAIN down there soon....

Husky35
07-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Just an update, I was able to aquire a set of re-pop Merc Maurader 430 valve covers (finned aluminum) and Brian got our MSD distributors converted to MEL type. The VCs were made around 5 years ago when they someone got ahold of the forms and made 10 or so of them. Just real dumb luck that I hooked up with the guy that had them and he sold them to me for $500. New in box. I'll try to update the web in a couple of weeks (motor is not here, its an hour away), but it is going to look sweet.

El Guapo
07-29-2007, 01:41 AM
did you get 'em from Gerry?

Husky35
07-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Yes I did! Thanks for the tip. Went down yesterday and saw him. Neat old guy. Curious what else he has.....

El Guapo
07-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Is my new nickname Dumb Luck? :(

Husky35
07-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Ouch...I meant it as a set of circumstances that came together without my direct efforts....but.....I got a great chuckle out of your response!

El Guapo
07-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I know,Just bustin your b*lls.
Hows the project?
We gonna be parked together at a show this summer?