PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas as to cause of problem

Yellowbird
10-02-2017, 11:40 AM
First off, information concerning repairs/rebuilds on my '58 Thunderbird, I have:
installed new detent plate, shift lever, rubber shift lever bushing, new shift collar.
Rebuilt the steering column and adjusted shift linkage.

After theses repairs starting has required no lifting of the shift lever until yesterday. At that time, I turned the key to the start position nothing happened. Checked voltage at the battery and it was good. Turned key again while lifting the shift lever and engine started.

Turned off engine and tried again and same issue, had to lift shift lever to start.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this has begun happening again?

Thanks.

jopizz
10-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Leonard,

The first thing I would check is the neutral switch to make sure it hasn't moved. Those bolts can come loose causing the switch to go out of adjustment. If the shift lever seems to be solidly in Park readjust the neutral switch and use some Loctite on the bolts.

John

Yellowbird
10-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Thanks John.

I will check the switch. The lever is solid in the park position. I tried several times to get it to move from the park position and it would not.

Tbird6
10-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Leave it in park and readjust the neutral safety switch. Make sure it will start in P and in N. It's a balancing act but focus on both positions allowing the car to start.

scumdog
10-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Maybe internal wear in the nss itself?

Yellowbird
10-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Got home, pulled out the manual and adjusted neutral safety switch accordingly. All is good now. Will only start in Park and Neutral.

Only thing I don't understand is the switch was not loose on the column. Not sure what caused the problem in the first place. At least it's fixed now.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post!