PDA

View Full Version : My latest project

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Hello All,
Just got a '60 Thunderbird, it's been sitting for 20+ years. I got it running and driving. I'm now sorting though the issues.
Right now I'm trying to change out the shifter arm. I have the shifter tube off, but I can't remove the arm because the steering shaft goes through it. Looks like I need to pull the steering shaft, but can't seem to figure out how.

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Thanks.

YellowRose
08-25-2017, 12:15 AM
iftikhar, call me or shoot me your phone number in a Private Message... I can help you...

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 12:23 AM
iftikhar, call me or shoot me your phone number in a Private Message... I can help you...

Wow, it's OK to call you? I see your number in your post.

I haven't figured out how to send private messages yet. I'll be working on the car tomorrow. What will be a good time to call?

Thank you!!!!

YellowRose
08-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Right NOW! I am a night owl and am up. 210-674-5781. BTW, I DID receive your Thank You PM, so it worked... Call me!

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 01:42 AM
it's a 1960 Thunderbird with a 390 and COM. I picked it up about 2 months ago from a guy in Santa Fe, NM. He's had it since 1980. He had the engine and trany rebuilt in '90, drove it for about 9k miles and then parked it. So it sat since, (outside) till I just got it.
I've put a 100% new braking system in it, including hard and soft lines, pads, wheel cylinders, dual piston master cylinder and dual diaphragm booster.
New electronic ignition and the usual tune up, including a new carb.
I've also put in a new hard line from the tank to fuel pump. Fuel pump is also new.
I've driven it about 50 miles so far and it runs great. I've done several full throttle pulls and the engine and trany were perfect.

There are lot of issues still remaining and I'll be working on those in the time to come.
Just had a great talk with Ray, he pointed me the right direction to get things done.
Also, I do all my own work.

Well, I tried to add some pictures, but looks like I can't just attach them. Do I need to have photobucket account to post pics here?

Thanks.

OX1
08-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Some pics that may or may not help..........

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/59%20T-BIRD/STEERING/STEERING%20COL%20SHIFTER%20TEARDOWN/SMALL/

You can't pull steering shaft, it is part of steering box.
You can pull entire tube and have everything off with steering
shaft still sitting there (how I rebuilt mine)

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Some pics that may or may not help..........

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/59%20T-BIRD/STEERING/STEERING%20COL%20SHIFTER%20TEARDOWN/SMALL/

You can't pull steering shaft, it is part of steering box.
You can pull entire tube and have everything off with steering
shaft still sitting there (how I rebuilt mine)

That makes sense.

Thank you!

OX1
08-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Just to let you know, the two pictures with the arrows are the
points that created the most play in the whole shifter "linkage" setup for me.
The detent plate has it's purpose, but even a new one probably won't cure the play in shift linkage.

I even bought a new lower shift arm, but I had to drop beads of weld
and file it down to meet raised boss on shift tube.

I should have done that on the upper end of shift tube,
welding on the edges of boss on the tube, so it fit perfect with shift collar.

I did not, but I think you can buy a new shift tube if you wanted.
Possibly, if you buy collar, tube, and lower arm, they
will all be to spec and not introduce play.

I think it is a lot cheaper and easier to drop small beads
of weld on lower shift arm and upper tube. Then file
down until they fit is perfect with old corresponding parts.

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Just got done putting it together and test start and shift. I have the back tires raised to prevent an accidental moving. It's much better than before, not perfect, but much better. Previous owner had put in a new detent plate, but my shifter handle and collar are also really worn. I may get to that over winter. Right now it's better than before and shifts into Park more securely, which was one of my biggest concerns.

Thanks all.

RustyNCa
08-25-2017, 03:26 PM
Did you pull the VC and check the umbrella seals? My 58 had a similar history and I did the same thing you have with yours, took a few weeks till a chunk of old umbrella seal worked it's way down into the pan and the oil pump. Seized the oil pump and broke the shaft going down the freeway.

Sounded like it killed at least one bearing by the time I got her pulled off the freeway. So I now keep an eye on those lil guys after putting another motor in the 58...

Cheers
RustyNCA

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Did you pull the VC and check the umbrella seals? My 58 had a similar history and I did the same thing you have with yours, took a few weeks till a chunk of old umbrella seal worked it's way down into the pan and the oil pump. Seized the oil pump and broke the shaft going down the freeway.

Sounded like it killed at least one bearing by the time I got her pulled off the freeway. So I now keep an eye on those lil guys after putting another motor in the 58...

Cheers
RustyNCA

I pulled the covers, but only to make sure all the rockers were moving freely before first start.
I didn't check any seals. Looks like I better do that.
Thanks.

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Well the shifter arm is much better, but now that I'm messing around with the trany linkage, I noticed the the trany doesn't want to "click" into Park. The trany shifter linkage drops down to reverse on it's own easily when not connected to the steering column shifter arm.

Any remedy for this?

Thanks again.

jopizz
08-25-2017, 07:32 PM
There really isn't any remedy for it. It relies on the shift lever and detent plate to hold it firmly in the Park position. You can overadjust the linkage so it forces the arm to hold it in Park but you may lose the L gear position.

John

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 08:59 PM
There really isn't any remedy for it. It relies on the shift lever and detent plate to hold it firmly in the Park position. You can overadjust the linkage so it forces the arm to hold it in Park but you may lose the L gear position.

John

Looks like that's where I'm at. This is exactly what's happening.
The new shift arm made it better, but I don't have "L". Why is that? Am I not adjusting it correctly?

So is this a trany issue or a shifter/linkage issue?

What would it take to convert to center console shift and would that make a noticeable difference?

Thanks.

jopizz
08-25-2017, 09:10 PM
If you don't have L then it's probably a linkage issue. If you have the shop manual follow the adjustment procedure. If you don't have one I recommend getting one. You can download a digital version for less than $20. Certainly a floor shift will solve a lot of your issues if you don't mind hacking up your console. Others on here have done it but I haven't.

John

Infinite Monkeys
08-25-2017, 10:28 PM
I do have a shop manual came with the car. I'll check that out again. I did try and following the manual before and adjust the linkage, but it didn't help.

Thanks.

jopizz
08-25-2017, 11:19 PM
If you are trying to get low gear, disconnect the linkage at the steering arm and push the transmission linkage all the way down to the low position, then put the shift lever to L. Turn the adjuster until the hole in the rod lines up with the steering arm and reconnect. Recheck all positions, especially Park to make sure it doesn't slip into Reverse. If it does then do one turn at a time of the adjuster until it holds.

John

Infinite Monkeys
08-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Mods,
Please delete if this doesn't work.

Edit: OK that didn't work.

Anyone have suggestions for posting pictures off of Google photos?

Tbird6
08-27-2017, 01:26 PM
No help on the shifter adjustment but can you post pictures of how you converted to a dual master cylinder and power booster?

People have done it several ways but not sure which way to go?

Infinite Monkeys
08-27-2017, 02:40 PM
No help on the shifter adjustment but can you post pictures of how you converted to a dual master cylinder and power booster?

People have done it several ways but not sure which way to go?

Hi,
I'm working on figuring out how to post pictures. Would be glad to describe how I did it as soon as I figure out the picture thing.

Frango100
08-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Hi,
I'm working on figuring out how to post pictures. Would be glad to describe how I did it as soon as I figure out the picture thing.
You need to be a paying member to be able to post pictures. You can use a host like ImageShack or alike and post the link in the text field.

simplyconnected
08-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Hi,

You need to be a paying member to be able to post pictures...

Yes iftikhar, you certainly qualify to post pictures directly to our forum now that you are a paid member.

Go to the PC Help Desk (click here (http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=45)) and read about picture size in either 'Picture/Graphics File Sizing' or 'picture resizing'. There are two free programs that will resize your pictures so they are not more than 800 pixels wide. <--this is a limit set by our founder. If you can, stick to 600 wide, you will have better success because there is a 'total file size' limit according to the type of picture you are working with.

Once you get the size right, click on 'Post Reply' to create a new post. At the bottom, after the text box, you will find 'additional options'. Click on 'Manage Attachments', and then 'Browse' for the pictures you saved to your computer. You can post a bunch of them in the same post if you like.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

BTW, hey Frango100... When are you going to become a paid member??? When you do, I have something for you. - Dave