PDA

View Full Version : Shorty Headers on flea bay

Penelope
08-01-2017, 12:06 AM
Has anyone bought a set of these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Big-Block-FE-330-360-390-428-Stainless-Steel-Shorty-Headers-Exhaust-/232417859664?hash=item361d2f1850:g:9kgAAOSwhOVXdvc 2#vi-ilComp

I am curious to know if they fit as its **** tight especially around the steering box. I know the welding looks amateurish but I can fix that.

Tbird6
08-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Hard to say but they look like they tried to have them fit as many cars as possible so probably not great for any one model.

I do see Square bird headers and they do look a good bit different?

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14287&stc=1&d=1501606765

But they are more expensive too. About $529-$369.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/headers/year/1959/make/ford/model/thunderbird

Penelope
08-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Thank you for your thoughts, and yes I agree with you regarding trying to fit as many cars as possible is not a good sign, but I guess Ford also would have used similar parts / set ups in a lot of their vehicles as well? Its not a ridiculous amount of money to pay, so I may get a set to see.

RustyNCa
08-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Interesting that Summit shows the Sanderson's fit the squarebirds, when I talked with Sanderson directly they told me, no they don't fit 58 to 60 thunderbirds and their web site now doesn't show an application for our squarebirds. They have the y block and they skip to the 61 Tbird.

They did say, if I brought my bird into them, they would be happy to make me a custom set. It's a 4 hour haul, but I saw no reason to pay for a custom set for the car.

Cheers
RustyNCA

Hard to say but they look like they tried to have them fit as many cars as possible so probably not great for any one model.

I do see Square bird headers and they do look a good bit different?

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14287&stc=1&d=1501606765

But they are more expensive too. About $529-$369.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/headers/year/1959/make/ford/model/thunderbird

RustyNCa
08-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Has anyone bought a set of these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Big-Block-FE-330-360-390-428-Stainless-Steel-Shorty-Headers-Exhaust-/232417859664?hash=item361d2f1850:g:9kgAAOSwhOVXdvc 2#vi-ilComp

I am curious to know if they fit as its **** tight especially around the steering box. I know the welding looks amateurish but I can fix that.

Interesting that they come out of Rocklin, that's a couple hours from me. I'd be interested to hear how they work, I'd like to run some in my 58, but I haven't been willing to drop the expense of the FPAs.

Penelope
08-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Interesting that they come out of Rocklin, that's a couple hours from me. I'd be interested to hear how they work, I'd like to run some in my 58, but I haven't been willing to drop the expense of the FPAs.

I ordered a set yesterday and if they fit I will get another set for my '59 as well. I will also fit 3 inch pipes from the collectors back otherwise its a little pointless...

I will let you know how I get on.

RustyNCa
08-03-2017, 10:40 AM
I ordered a set yesterday and if they fit I will get another set for my '59 as well. I will also fit 3 inch pipes from the collectors back otherwise its a little pointless...

I will let you know how I get on.

What do you have now for pipes? I've read there isn't much point in 3" over the 2.5" for most engines?

Penelope
08-03-2017, 09:16 PM
All standard pipes at the moment, but I will definitely talk to the experts when I fit the headers and do what will match the best. I envisage replacing the large mufflers at the rear.

OX1
08-04-2017, 09:53 AM
What do you have now for pipes? I've read there isn't much point in 3" over the 2.5" for most engines?

Full 3" seems like it would be a packaging nightmare compared to the gain, which will be almost nothing south of 500 HP.

Penelope
08-10-2017, 01:38 AM
The kit has arrived down under, and at first glance it appears OK. I will check rough bends tonight and look at fitting over the weekend. They do supply all gaskets and both sides of collectors as well which is nice.

OX1
08-10-2017, 10:10 AM
I'd like to see the welds up close.

Penelope
08-10-2017, 09:47 PM
I'd like to see the welds up close.

The welds that you can see there are on the outside, the ones inside are the ones that count and they are OK. My son is a metal fabricator and he is a very proficient welder. He looked it over and gave it the thumbs up, but not aesthetically obviously. Due to the angle of the heads, you wont see that anyway....

After having a play with them last night I think that it will be REAL close to the steering box but should wriggle in OK. They will only fit from underneath, that's for sure and certain.

Pics will follow when they are in.

Tbird6
08-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Boy those are pretty!
Let us know how they fit and sound.

RustyNCa
08-14-2017, 11:37 AM
The welds that you can see there are on the outside, the ones inside are the ones that count and they are OK. My son is a metal fabricator and he is a very proficient welder. He looked it over and gave it the thumbs up, but not aesthetically obviously. Due to the angle of the heads, you wont see that anyway....

After having a play with them last night I think that it will be REAL close to the steering box but should wriggle in OK. They will only fit from underneath, that's for sure and certain.

Pics will follow when they are in.

Looking forward to more news on how these fit. Keep mindful of how close they come to the stock location eh? I might need to go this route on my 58 if they work.

Cheers

inheritance
08-14-2017, 08:10 PM
yes id like to know as well. I would love to get a set of these to squeeze on a 390 in a 59.

Penelope
08-14-2017, 08:36 PM
They will be fitted within the next 3 days and I will post pics as soon as i can. If they do fit I will get a set for my other bird as well.

RustyNCa
08-14-2017, 10:38 PM
They will be fitted within the next 3 days and I will post pics as soon as i can. If they do fit I will get a set for my other bird as well.

Hey, before you fit them, have you shown a light at the merge where all four come together and looked inside the exit.

Do you see any light?

Thanks
RustyNCA

Penelope
08-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Hey, before you fit them, have you shown a light at the merge where all four come together and looked inside the exit.

Do you see any light?

Thanks
RustyNCA
Yep did that as soon as I got them, no problems there....

Penelope
08-15-2017, 11:41 PM
.......and they don't fit around the steering box even though the vendor swears they do. That's the end of that, way too much modification required and i think even i did modify them it would take away from what they were designed for, so back in the box they go. Lesson learnt!

RustyNCa
08-16-2017, 11:42 AM
.......and they don't fit around the steering box even though the vendor swears they do. That's the end of that, way too much modification required and i think even i did modify them it would take away from what they were designed for, so back in the box they go. Lesson learnt!

So, this might be interesting. After you return, them, someone on here, other than me, since I have already asked should contact the vendor on ebay and ask them the question I did, or some variation of it.

I asked "I see you list that these fit the 58 to 60 Ford Thunderbird? Have you sold any sets to anyone for that application? I'm curious if you have direct knowledge that they fit a squarebird, or just that they fit an FE engine?"

The reply was, "I haven't had any input on the fitment on that model"

Seems like they have input now.

Cheers
Bryan

RustyNCa
08-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Well, that's disappointing, but not surprising.

So, if someone had gotten rid of the steering box by converting to a rack, you think they would work?

Penelope
08-16-2017, 08:57 PM
You are right Bryan, they fit the engine but not the model... would they fit if a rack was used, I think they would.

My issue now is they cost me almost the same as the price to ship them from the states to here in OZ, so rather than return them I will sell them here WITH the warning that they dont fit squarebirds. If no takers, then I will have some shiny wall hangers I guess.

Woobie
08-17-2017, 03:22 AM
Hi. What a shame. You ordered a set advertised to fit a squarebird. See the "ebay money back guarantee" on the item listing page. Not what you ordered.

It's called buyer's protection on other country ebay sites. The seller may list absolutely no returns. With buyer protection ebay will process the return nonetheless. Return shipping label and all.

Wall hanging ? No thanks. Maybe somebody else.

Dakota Boy
08-17-2017, 07:38 AM
try these:
http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Tbird1.htm

RustyNCa
08-17-2017, 11:50 AM
try these:
http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Tbird1.htm

I know those are nice, but for the cost of those, I think I could convert to rack and pinion and run those ebay headers and probably have spent less money?

The conversion to rack makes lots of sense for me. When I was under the car dealing with my conversion to a C6, my factory steering has been rubbing on my pan and leaks like a mother.

I was quoted $695 plus $50 shipping for a set.

Cheers
RustyNCA

Penelope
08-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Thank you all, yep I may go down the return route but last time I did it , it took months to get my shipping costs back. I will probably try and sell them here first and if it comes out square... job done I reckon.

byersmtrco
08-18-2017, 04:25 PM
If it'll fit in a Mustang . . . It "should" fit a Tbird . . . Right?
So a 428 with the stk cast iron manifs look like they'd clear.
Because bigger is always better . . . Right?
No replacement for displacement?

In all fairness, I think we're stuck with those useless
Ford "log" manifolds or the ($$$$$$$$$$$)FPA Headers.

Thank you all, yep I may go down the return route but last time I did it , it took months to get my shipping costs back. I will probably try and sell them here first and if it comes out square... job done I reckon.

Penelope
08-21-2017, 02:41 AM
If it'll fit in a Mustang . . . It "should" fit a Tbird . . . Right?
So a 428 with the stk cast iron manifs look like they'd clear.
Because bigger is always better . . . Right?
No replacement for displacement?

In all fairness, I think we're stuck with those useless
Ford "log" manifolds or the ($$$$$$$$$$$)FPA Headers.

John, I fear you are quire correct.