PDA

View Full Version : for your amusement...

mh434
06-08-2017, 10:22 AM
If you look closely, yes that is the carb return spring just hooked over one of the stud caps. This is why I take the time to get to know a "new" car, you just don't know what surprises someone else has left you.
You'd end up in a whole heap of trouble if it slipped off I would imagine.

Jon

Dan Leavens
06-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Jon good catch for sure. I like your statement " get to know a new car " as it is much like dating years ago don't you think:D

mh434
06-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Don't know Dan. Its all a dim distant memory...!!
But I think I know why my wife is happy with my hobby. If I'm not at home she knows exactly what I will be laying under..;)

Joe Johnston
06-08-2017, 11:42 AM
You posted a very good example of what to look for and be aware of. In addition, I was always told to use 2 carb return springs. Different diameters one inside the other work well or 2 located at different points on the linkage. Rarely do they break or become unhooked, but it does happen. A lot of safety added with an additional spring.

mh434
06-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Good call on the double spring setup..

Joe Johnston
06-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Just looked at the picture again and there is a second spring attached near the lower right of the picture! Just need to make an attachment bracket to the carb stud like Ford used on many engines.

Frango100
06-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Just looked at the picture again and there is a second spring attached near the lower right of the picture! Just need to make an attachment bracket to the carb stud like Ford used on many engines.

Isnīt this second spring for the over travel mechanism? (when the throttle is full open, you can continue to press the accelerator further down, it will only open the over travel mechanism)

scumdog
06-08-2017, 05:40 PM

And that spark-plug wire looks to be kinked, is it or is it just the camera angle?

mh434
06-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Does look a bit odd but I think it's the camera angle.

DKheld
06-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Looks like the same carb I have. Replaced mine after an engine fire. Not happy with it at all. Advertised at 600cfm but preforms like 475. Can't wait to get my new Ford 4100 back on there........

Would an MOT inspector have failed or fined you?

Wow - if that had come loose - that would have been a fun ride at wide open throttle.

Eric

https://storage04.dropshots.com/photos6000/photos/260234/20160425/192117.jpg

mh434
06-09-2017, 02:44 AM
With the air filter on you cant even see it so I doubt that anyone would have picked it up. I had a look back through some of the earlier photos I took last night and there on the original manifold is, I assume, the original return spring bracket. (jeeez, that old manifold is heavy..)

Jon

DKheld
06-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Yep - there it is (although it is positioned upside down). That turned down edge should face the carb. That holds the tab in alignment with the hole on the pedal bracket on the manifold. Still works ok on the replacement carb - think you can see it on mine.

Funny - I was used to MGA / MGB intakes (the little aluminum tubes - probably weigh a couple of ounces). Was replacing the intake gaskets on my Tbird back in 2004 when I was putting the car back on the road. Couldn't get the intake off - kept thinking I had missed a bolt somewhere. Finally stood on the inner fenders and gave it a good heave.....it was already loose. Couldn't believe how heavy the intake was. I bet it weighs as much as the MGA HEAD :eek: .