PDA

View Full Version : Rear speaker 1960 Thunderbird

lnoska
03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Was there a factory option to add a second speaker in the back of a 1960 Thunderbird?

Does any body reproduce the carburetor linkage the part that is attached to the bell housing?

jopizz
03-29-2017, 12:34 PM
A rear speaker was not an option. What part are you referring to. None of the carburetor linkage attaches to the bell housing. Do you mean the intake manifold. None of those parts are being reproduced. If you need parts contact Carl Heller (partsetal). He should have what you need.

John

Frango100
03-29-2017, 02:19 PM
I just got a complete accelerator mechanism from Carl. Are you missing the part on the intake, or does it have a lot of play? In case of play, it seems that this can be repaired with bushes.

Tbird1044
03-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Larry:
Someone had installed a rear speaker prior to me getting the car. I did clean it up a bit and think it has a 60's retro look. If I had originally done it, I probably would have put 2 speakers on the rear deck instead of the one center, but it will be fine for me.
Nyles

OUR5T8BIRD
03-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Larry:
Someone had installed a rear speaker prior to me getting the car. I did clean it up a bit and think it has a 60's retro look. If I had originally done it, I probably would have put 2 speakers on the rear deck instead of the one center, but it will be fine for me.
Nyles

For your information :

PRODUCT Service Letter, P-432 , dated June 4, 1959 states :

Rear Seat Speaker Installation ( 1958-59 Thunderbirds ) .
Poor radio tone quality may occur in some 1958-59 Thunderbirds and can be eliminated by installing a Rear Seat Speaker Kit (B7A-18875-A ) as follows .

The service letter came with instructions and diagrams on how to install same. Location and grille look similar to your picture of grille.

jopizz
03-29-2017, 04:41 PM
That's interesting. Is there a fader control as part of the installation. I've seen them in Fairlanes and Galaxies but I wasn't sure if it was aftermarket or dealer installed.

John

YellowRose
03-29-2017, 05:47 PM
That is interesting. It is NOT listed in the Optional Equipment lists for 1958-1960 Tbirds. It will be interesting to see what the VTCI OFS says about this!

OUR5T8BIRD
03-29-2017, 06:29 PM
That's interesting. Is there a fader control as part of the installation. I've seen them in Fairlanes and Galaxies but I wasn't sure if it was aftermarket or dealer installed.

John

Yes John / Ray , the diagram does show a fader control . Will try and have the service letter copied and send it out to you if you wish .

jopizz
03-29-2017, 06:58 PM
That is interesting. It is NOT listed in the Optional Equipment lists for 1958-1960 Tbirds. It will be interesting to see what the VTCI OFS says about this!

Many times dealer installed upgrades weren't available from the factory. Since this kit has a B7A part number it was obviously not designed specifically for squarebirds but was retrofitted probably due to complaints.

John

YellowRose
03-29-2017, 07:07 PM
Martin, thank you for this information on the rear speaker. I never knew there was one available and it IS sanctioned by the VTCI in the Official Factory Specifications (OFS), that Alan Tast, "Fuz" Johnson, and even our Founder, Alexander Sosiak helped put together years ago. I would like to have a copy of it for our historical files. If you have a scanner, you can scan it in as a .jpg and IF it is to big to post, email it to me and I can work with it. Yes, John is right, I suspect. This came about probably because of complaints regarding the radio and speakers in the Squarebird and this was their fix to correct that. It was probably a speaker that was already in use in Fairlanes and Galaxies as Martin said, that they decided to put to use in the Squarebird.

I just took the time to look at my VTCI OFS CD and here is what it says about this speaker.

"Note: Operation SP-18875-A-59, illustrated in Product Service Letter P-432, provided for installation of Rear Seat Speaker Kit B7A 18875-A in the center of the rear package tray by dealers in both hardtops and convertibles to resolve complaints of poor radio tone quality. A fader control was mounted in the lower dash extension near the console. Templates were included with the bulletin for location of holes in the panel for hardtops and for fabrication of a mounting/baffle board for convertibles. Installation of the rear seat speaker using the B7A 18875-A kit will not be assessed a modification point deduction in all Divisions; use of speaker frames, grilles, speakers and fader switches/knobs that do not match those used in the kit may result in modification point deduction. (PSLP-432, 6/4/59)"

mh434
03-30-2017, 06:03 AM
I would be interested to see any photos of the fader control mentioned above. Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, but I have a couple of rotary controls just behind the ashtray in mine. I assume they are some sort of aftermarket radio control, I've not had chance to investigate yet. Mine has what appears to be aftermarket speakers in the rear shelf and in the footwells.

Jon

sidewalkman
03-30-2017, 04:41 PM
I would be interested to see any photos of the fader control mentioned above. Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, but I have a couple of rotary controls just behind the ashtray in mine. I assume they are some sort of aftermarket radio control, I've not had chance to investigate yet. Mine has what appears to be aftermarket speakers in the rear shelf and in the footwells.

Jon

Looks cool, but definitely an aftermarket item. Can you take a close up?

mh434
03-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Will do. I seem to have perfected the art of taking loads of photos of not quite the right bit..!!!

Jon

Deanj
03-30-2017, 08:13 PM
I love today's modern factory radios and the use of flash sticks for storing and playing music. I think the rear speaker is cool, but I don't even consider upgrading my console speaker since all my radio is the original AM. I had a Redi-Rad, but thought it too much trouble.

Is that center speaker difficult to replace? I read where you said the A/C head has to come out.

Dean

sidewalkman
03-31-2017, 05:42 PM
I love today's modern factory radios and the use of flash sticks for storing and playing music. I think the rear speaker is cool, but I don't even consider upgrading my console speaker since all my radio is the original AM. I had a Redi-Rad, but thought it too much trouble.

Is that center speaker difficult to replace? I read where you said the A/C head has to come out.

Dean

I'm with you Dean. I need to replace the console speaker because its the original and shot but the original AM radio still works great.

What I discovered tho is the joys of Bluetooth. I am installing into the glovebox a small (3"X2") Bluetooth receiver that I can amplify. I'll wire a small 2 channel amp in the trunk and wire in these small JBL bookshelf speakers in the front seats. I measured the amount of room required and they have lots of room. You can't see anything not factory looking into the car or even drving around in it but I will have access to Sirius Radio via the app at shows and my iTunes library when driving. And there is a USB slot for flash drives (of which I have probably 40 4GB -8GB) so best of both world. I have a JBL Bluetooth speaker which sits on my console, but you can't get any decent volume from it.

Tbird1044
03-31-2017, 08:41 PM
The center console needs to be removed in order to replace the speaker. The trim piece that holds the AC/heater controls needs to come out in order to remove the console. I also think, removing the front seats makes the console removal easier. Not a quick job.
Now for the tricky part. The factory speaker had an inverted magnet which makes it a very shallow speaker in depth. I think some of the parts houses list a speaker or a dual retrofit kit for 2 speakers. I bought some speakers that I thought were shallow enough, but when I installed the console, but the speaker was hitting the center hump. As I remember, the factory speaker is only 1 3/4" in depth. The ones I bought were 2" and it was tight.
Nyles

Deanj
04-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Remove the front seats? Both of them? I've already removed the driver's seat once to use the optional holes and move the seat rearward. This seems a bit much to replace a speaker, but I believe it.

No wonder adding a speaking might be easier, but not stock.

Dean

jopizz
04-01-2017, 11:55 AM
I've removed the console without removing the front seats. There's one screw on either side that's a little tricky to remove with the seats in place but it's doable.

John

Deanj
04-01-2017, 12:02 PM
What about the A/C controls? How does that come out?

jopizz
04-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Remove the two knobs. They are held in place by set screws. Then unscrew the two rings. Remove the two screws that hold the outer console to the heater/ac control. You don't have to remove the control unit, just the outer console piece.

John

del
04-01-2017, 12:24 PM
I've removed that tunnel cover on my non A/C 60 a couple of times. Just start from the front as Nyles suggests. I comes apart in two pieces, and the front piece just unscrews from the controls see pic. There are also screws along both sides all around. Don't know if A/C is different? You don't have to remove the front seats to do it, and unless you have another reason to remove them I wouldn't. But yes it is easier with no seats in the way. You MAY have to lift the rear seat bottom up to slide the long piece forward a little after it's unscrewed. Interesting what you may find under there esp if the PO was a smoker. Or used the ashtray as a coin holder.

mh434
04-03-2017, 02:52 AM
Looks cool, but definitely an aftermarket item. Can you take a close up?

Looks like a neat install by the previous owner. The knob on the right is a three position switch. Not managed to get any of it working yet though. Thanks to the previous owner its also nice to have the reassurance of an oil pressure gauge and warning light.

Jon

YellowRose
04-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Martin ~ OUR5T8BIRD has a lot of tech info on these old Squarebirds of ours. He just sent me information on installing the optional rear speakers for the 1958-1959 Squarebird. Here is Product Service Letter P-432 June 4, 1959! To view them larger, push Ctrl + several times. Here ya go!

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/58-59RearSpeaker1.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/58-59RearSpeaker2.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/58-59RearSpeaker3.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/58-59RearSpeaker4.jpg

Deanj
04-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Wow, nice job. I can't believe it's as complicated as that. I was waiting to read how to degree the speaker and break-in procedure.

Dean

Bird-in-the-bush
04-07-2017, 06:12 PM
That's pretty cool man. I think I would have to make those holes a tad bigger for cup holders...bodily fluids are important also lol.
No just kidding. I keep thinking of all that space on that tunnel that can accommodate stuff just like what you have here. There's room. I just don't want to put a saw to my console....yet. Maybe I should start looking for a boneyard console, and have cool stuff like you have.