PDA

View Full Version : Quality of "automatic trans" brake pad

OX1
03-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Anyone used the reproduction brake pad?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Thunderbird-Brake-Pedal-Pad-Automatic-Transmission-Power-Brakes-1958-62-/111762914316?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AThunderbird&hash=item1a0596bc0c:g:wRcAAOSwiONYNiXm&vxp=mtr

Or should I spring for the NOS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-50s-60s-Ford-Galaxie-Thunderbird-Custom-Power-Brake-Pedal-Pad-B9A-2454-B-/122238093152?hash=item1c75f54760:g:in0AAOSwImRYNIw b&vxp=mtr

jopizz
03-10-2017, 08:18 PM
I suggest you PM or email Carl Heller (partsetal). He probably knows more about the quality of the reproduction squarebird parts than anyone.

John

simplyconnected
03-10-2017, 08:28 PM
These pedal covers are made by one company and sold through many vendors. Notice, your listing is coming from Lockport, NY. Lo and behold, isn't that Mac's Auto Parts (http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thunderbird/ford-thunderbird-brake-pedal-pad-automatic-transmission-and-power-brakes-1958-62.html) and at exactly the same price?

My pedal shows, "Swift Sure" but who ever looks at the brake pedal? - Dave

OX1
03-10-2017, 08:44 PM
These pedal covers are made by one company and sold through many vendors. Notice, your listing is coming from Lockport, NY. Lo and behold, isn't that Mac's Auto Parts (http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thunderbird/ford-thunderbird-brake-pedal-pad-automatic-transmission-and-power-brakes-1958-62.html) and at exactly the same price?

My pedal shows, "Swift Sure" but who ever looks at the brake pedal? - Dave

Yeah, that is Macs. Not worried about looks, just quality.
And to answer your question, I've looked at my brake pedal/pad 400 times over the past week :D (hope I don't ever have to look at it again).

It's just bit worn, so I figured for $15, why not. But if the 50 year old worn one is better than anew repro (and sometimes these parts are), I'll stick pat...........

Will call tomorrow if you are around...........

simplyconnected
03-10-2017, 09:09 PM
...And to answer your question, I've looked at my brake pedal/pad 400 times over the past week :D

Will call tomorrow if you are around...........
Henry, your face was right on that pedal, putting your backing plates on the brake pedal support.

You'd be surprised how many folks cannot tell you what their door panels look like in their daily driver! Yeah, yeah... I know, these are our babies and they carry pieces of ourselves in every part of the restoration scheme.

Anyway, Mac's didn't make the pedals. They're probably made in India or Taiwan (like most repop parts). Regardless, I'm sure they will hold up for a good ten years or longer, depending on how much you drive your classic.

I will be around tomorrow but I thought you need to get going on your plumbing. There are other brake issues we need to discuss as well. If you're so inclined, we can get a jump on things right now. - Dave

partsetal
03-11-2017, 09:01 AM
The repro power brake pedal pads had been unavailable recently so it is good to see they are available again. No doubt they are manufactured in India, Malaysia or some other off-shore country, typical of most of the repro parts today. If it fits correctly it looks like a good deal.
Carl

Deanj
03-11-2017, 10:41 AM
I removed my original brake peddle pad because it was very, very worn and slippery. I used the "Power Brakes" pad from Mac's. It's alright. You might be prepared for the old one to refuse dethroning. Start with several handy scrapers and any other tricks for removing rubber that has become one with the peddle.

Dean

OX1
03-11-2017, 09:32 PM
I removed my original brake peddle pad because it was very, very worn and slippery. I used the "Power Brakes" pad from Mac's. It's alright. You might be prepared for the old one to refuse dethroning. Start with several handy scrapers and any other tricks for removing rubber that has become one with the peddle.

Dean

That makes me not want touch it at all. Mine
is worn just a bit on the right edge, but really
not that bad.

jopizz
03-11-2017, 09:44 PM
I've replaced a number of pedals and never had a problem. Just remove the nut and bolt and pry it off. It's only a metal to metal connection. I'm not sure what Dean is describing.

John

OX1
03-12-2017, 08:30 AM
I've replaced a number of pedals and never had a problem. Just remove the nut and bolt and pry it off. It's only a metal to metal connection. I'm not sure what Dean is describing.

John

Does the MAC one only come with the pad maybe?

Also, anyone know if B9A-2454-B is the correct part no for the NOS one?

Deanj
03-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Dean is describing the brake peddle pad. The replaceable rubber cover of the brake peddle.

How are these bolted to the peddle? Every one I've seen slips over the metal peddle base. I said my original "bonded" to the steel peddle making removal a crumbling experience. Are we discussing something different?

jopizz
03-12-2017, 12:38 PM
As you can see by the picture of the NOS one OX1 posted there is a metal piece that connects to the pedal. It's an easy off and on. That NOS one is correct for 59-60 Thunderbirds.

John

simplyconnected
03-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Yep, that's how my 'Swift Sure' pad is, too. One bolt and nut. No scraping or prying.
The box has 'trim' blacked out because the Swift Sure model has a stainless trim piece that goes over the rubber part.

Deanj
03-12-2017, 02:21 PM
When you purchase the replacement "Power Brakes" pad or regular brakes pad from Mac's, there's no bracket. There's nothing but pad. Check it out. No older car I've owned had the pad bolt on.

Dean

jopizz
03-12-2017, 02:32 PM
I have seen just the pad. In that case I would pay the extra money and get the NOS one. Sometimes cheaper is not better.

John

simplyconnected
03-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Here they are, boys...
First, the AUTOMATIC TRANS...
http://squarebirds.org/Brakes/BrakePedalSupport/BrakePedal1.jpg

MANUAL TRANS...
http://squarebirds.org/Brakes/BrakePedalSupport/BrakePedal2.jpg

And a closeup...
http://squarebirds.org/Brakes/BrakePedalSupport/BrakePedal3.jpg

This shows ONLY the clutch and manual brake pedals use a separate pedal cover that slips over the pedal. - Dave

Deanj
03-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Great job Dave.

I checked Mac's and Larry's. Mac's has the 2 pad covers for regular brakes and PB for about $10 and $15. However, one Swift-Sure is $120.95. Would you assume that's the bolt on since there's no detailed explanation?

Larry's a bit different selling a Swift-Sure without the metal band for $30.17. Again, no details as to whether this is the bolt-on.

I just checked the Bird's Nest and the metal equipped Swift-Sure is $40.00. No details on the product.

Well, $121 is rather unreasonable for a bolt-on.

Dean

simplyconnected
03-12-2017, 05:59 PM
According to these Ford diagrams, ALL automatic brake pedals are bolt-on. My experience finds that to be true.

Over the years, I've seen 'Swift Sure' pedals go for many prices. Somehow, the two pieces (rubber and chrome) could not be purchased as one (I heard, for copyright laws) so they were sold as separate part numbers and the buyer had to assemble the bezel and rubber parts.

Everyone sold them but at high prices. The last Swift Sure I bought was $50 (complete) from Mac's, years ago.

Whenever I see a high price, I assume they don't want to be bothered OR they will buy the part from someone else then send it to you at a hefty profit. - Dave

Deanj
03-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Alright Dave. Good job!

Bird's Nest and Larry's roughly $50 version is the bolt-on. So back to the original question's answer is these are the bolt-on Swift-Sure Peddle pads. It shouldn't be an issue for OX1.

As I said, I never had a bolt-on brake peddle pad. I saw the all rubber "Power Brakes" pad in Macs for about $15, and since my car is a PB conversion, I thought this was the only option. I never thought to look in my service manual for a bolt-on brake peddle pad. The replacement I placed over the metal backing bolted to my peddle isn't bad. It's snug, doesn't move, and solid. Having said that, I'll probably swap it out for the bolt-on because I'm a nerd about this stuff.

Dean

simplyconnected
03-13-2017, 12:09 AM
...Bird's Nest and Larry's roughly $50 version is the bolt-on....Larry's (http://www.larrystbird.com/product/brake-pedal-pad-stainless-band-5862-swift-sure/) only shows the stainless bar, not the mating stainless surround.
Bird Nest (http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndetail.pta?catalog=0000030b&ukey=233) shows the correct parts but as said, they must be ordered separately.
Mac's has a price guarantee that promises to match another site's price.

When the rubber and stainless parts are assembled, your foot only touches the rubber. The stainless is inset. - Dave

OX1
03-13-2017, 10:07 PM
So that brings up another question.
Which one is the right pad for a 59 auto bird?

The one with embossed "power brake"
or the two part one with chrome?

jopizz
03-13-2017, 10:28 PM
So that brings up another question.
Which one is the right pad for a 59 auto bird?

The one with embossed "power brake"
or the two part one with chrome?

The embossed "Power Brake". The "Swift Sure" with the chrome trim was only used in '58.

John

OX1
03-14-2017, 04:16 AM
The embossed "Power Brake". The "Swift Sure" with the chrome trim was only used in '58.

John

OK, thanks...............

Deanj
03-14-2017, 10:31 AM
So Thunderbird stores show multiple brake pads that "fit", but these aren't necessarily correct for that year? I don't want to sound complaining and even though I know it's our responsibility to know the right part for our car, I would think these vendors would steer us in the right direction to the correct part.

simplyconnected
03-15-2017, 07:19 PM
So Thunderbird stores show multiple brake pads that "fit", but these aren't necessarily correct for that year? I don't want to sound complaining and even though I know it's our responsibility to know the right part for our car, I would think these vendors would steer us in the right direction to the correct part.Crazy as it seems, some owners like to customize their ride using compatible parts.

By considering the price difference between brake pedals, the vast numbers tell the real story. In 1959 & 1960, Ford produced 250,000 Thunderbirds. At a savings of ten bucks per pedal, that's $2.5M. I think the price difference is more like twenty bucks per so, Ford saved a cool $5-million by simply changing a rubber pedal that nobody looks at while driving. - Dave

Deanj
03-16-2017, 11:24 AM
That makes sense Dave. Ironic when I recall my brother's 1964 Thunderbird back in '67. We thought it loaded with luxury items even though this cars options only included transistorized ignition, white walls, skirts, right mirror, and tinted glass. It was the PS, PB, 390, Cruise-O-Matic, clock, swing away steering column, console, and all that chrome, aluminum, and stainless interior trim that made us feel this was a luxury car.

I think by 1964 Ford put some bling back into the brake pedal-as it should.

simplyconnected
03-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Think in terms of 'production' because that's how the industry operates. Consider the progression of options.

In the early days, buyers REFUSED to pay for things they didn't want. That meant more differences on the assembly line. For example, electric wipers and turn signals were an option. The wire harnesses are different. Some folks wanted a trunk light or Trailer Towing. Again, a different wire harness.

Then they offered packages, to reduce the number of different parts on the line and lower manufacturing costs. Now, most models are loaded but have fewer choices except for factory drivetrain and colors. All the other options are already installed or the dealer may 'adjust' options, like tire brand choices.

An old-time buyer would say, "I'm not paying for anything I don't want." A modern buyer would simply choose the model that suits them without disputing options.

So the progression is, more options were included as 'standard' so that every car on the line got the same equipment which dramatically lowers cost per option; fewer suppliers, fewer parts on the line, less assembly line space, less dunnage, etc. What car comes without A/C today? Less than half of our Squarebirds came with A/C. Electric windows, tinted glass and automatic transmissions were NOT in every Squarebird, either.

It used to be, if you want 'bare bones', get a truck. Ford always sold more trucks than cars. Now, even the trucks are loaded.

Side note: 'Color-choice' sells cars and that cannot change. Mustangs had six different colors of instrument panels which kept the loading dock and trains of hi-lo trucks jumping all day. A rack held six but the line ran at 1/min. That means, unload the empty rack and re-load with a full rack every six minutes or less. I used to hear over the radio, "Material Handling, we need black IPs." (Say it fast because I cracked up every time.)

sidewalkman
03-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Just for giggles I looked on eBay for Swift-Sure brake pedals, there were a couple, both claimed as NOS 1 at 250.00 and the other at 169.00.

Quick lets buy them!!!!

Or for under 50.00 if you really felt like you had to have them, Larry's has them in stock.

simplyconnected
03-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Our '59 Galaxie came with std 3-speed manual shift, no pb or ps. I thought this very odd since the Galaxie was the top trim line of full size Ford cars.

The Power Brake option for this car HAD a Swift Sure pedal. The brakes were crap because they were all drum brakes but the pedal was nice.

So, other Ford cars (and different years) used the premium pedal, not just Thunderbird.

I bought two of these pedals years ago and at the time I thought $50 was outrageous. Apparently, Ford didn't install many of them because power brakes were not as popular as they are today. What modern car comes with std brakes? - Dave

Deanj
03-16-2017, 05:27 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact I believe Japanese cars changed that "have your way" years ago. Their quality improved as the cars were assembled maybe in 2 versions. It seems what made American cars so cool, you could build them anyway you want, any color, was also their weakness.

I was just laughing yesterday when I recalled that a colleague in 1979 ordered a Mercury Monarch company car. The order was miscommunicated and the result was a yellow car with a red vinyl interior. Too bad we weren't McDonald's.

My 1960 T-Bird wasn't a special order, but is a factory A/C car with regular brakes. That didn't scare me off when I bought the car. Driving it was another matter. I just didn't remember regular brakes so useless. I converted it to power and never regretted the change.

My wife was born in 1958, and she thinks I'm kidding when I tell her that heaters were an option in most cars until about 1963.

OX1
03-16-2017, 05:31 PM
What modern car comes with std brakes? - Dave

Last one I know of was our 77 Granada, it had manual disk brakes.
I remember my mother saying how bad they were.. She was driving a 60 bird
up until 77, so for her to complain after the birds crappy brakes, was saying
something. My dad flying up and down the road locking up the brakes, telling
here she was essentially full of it. Course he was 6-1, 230 at the time.
Great childhood memories, HAHAHA!!

simplyconnected
03-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Robin was mortified to learn that our '55 has no backup lights. I'm still laughing...

I agree, all disk brakes absolutely need a booster.

Back in the day, power brakes were RARE. Because we had huge family cars, everyone gave enough space between cars to stop. Most cars were slow to start and slow to stop.

Back in the late '50s, my 47 yr-old mother learned to drive our '54 Ford station wagon. It had a Mileage Maker Six, three speed manual column shift, manual steering and manual brakes. Basically, dad bought it (new) to cart our family of seven to church and on vacations. She was determined to learn as she took driver's ed., on weekends at our high school, in Michigan Winter.

Dad never knew she had her license. One Sunday, Mom made a comment about Dad's driving. He pulled the car over and said, "Catherine, if you think you can do better, YOU DRIVE!" She did. Dad was in shock for days afterward... Back then, it was common for housewives not to drive. Neither of my grandmothers did and neither did my mother's sisters. Robin was over 40 when she got her license. I say, 'necessity is the mother of invention.' - Dave

OX1
03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
HAHA!!. The stuff that the cell phone generation will never experience. I almost feel bad for them sometimes........

Robin was mortified to learn that our '55 has no backup lights. I'm still laughing...

I agree, all disk brakes absolutely need a booster.

Back in the day, power brakes were RARE. Because we had huge family cars, everyone gave enough space between cars to stop. Most cars were slow to start and slow to stop.

Back in the late '50s, my 47 yr-old mother learned to drive our '54 Ford station wagon. It had a Mileage Maker Six, three speed manual column shift, manual steering and manual brakes. Basically, dad bought it (new) to cart our family of seven to church and on vacations. She was determined to learn as she took driver's ed., on weekends at our high school, in Michigan Winter.

Dad never knew she had her license. One Sunday, Mom made a comment about Dad's driving. He pulled the car over and said, "Catherine, if you think you can do better, YOU DRIVE!" She did. Dad was in shock for days afterward... Back then, it was common for housewives not to drive. Neither of my grandmothers did and neither did my mother's sisters. Robin was over 40 when she got her license. I say, 'necessity is the mother of invention.' - Dave

Deanj
03-18-2017, 01:29 PM
I need to reiterate that Mac's sells the pads only for $10-$15. You can remove your old pedal, remove the pad, use 3M weather strip adhesive to install a new pad on the old bolt-on part. Wait a day and it comes out solid. Just an alternative to buying the $40-$50 complete part.

Dean