PDA

View Full Version : Heater core/electric wipers

Djweaz
02-27-2017, 06:04 AM
Wondering if anybody has a write up for replacing a heater core and/or Electric wiper conversion? Heater core will be here this week and ordering the electric wiper conversion this week.

Dropping some cash into the 59 might not look like it now with just the color change and rims but it is getting all weather stripping replaced, most of the available chrome, side glass, heater core, wipers, found a pretty god chrome front bumper on ebay, steering ram restored,also trying to figure out how to staplethe rubber strip onto the skirts? Any Ideas?

Time to start saving up again for stuff like AC and starting on the interior which is really nice now and still matches because its black with white piping. When the weather breaks here in Nashville its going in a country music video and a couple of photoshoots

Joe Johnston
02-27-2017, 08:42 AM
I stapled the rubber seal on my 57's skirts and also the rear stone deflector by drilling out all the paint that had filled in the original holes. I then made my own staples with stainless steel wire and inserted them by hand. Its time consuming, but the only way I know how to do it in a restoration process. I would imagine the procedure will be the same on a Squarebird.

partsetal
02-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Another way is to use weatherstrip adhesive on the inside edge and when it sets up, pop rivet at the ends and center in the staple locations using the thinnest pop rivets on hand (1/8" or thinner). Usually 3 pop rivets will do the trick.
Carl

del
02-27-2017, 09:12 AM
There are a couple of write-ups on the wiper conversion in the Technical Resource Library here's one
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/CleanWipeElectricWipers.htm

Removing the radio if you have one makes the job a lot easier.

Djweaz
02-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Those are both good ideas for getting the rubber strips back on. I have to remove my staples still yet. The original rubber was so dry rotted they were falling off. I had to line them up before putting them back on the car before I had it painted.

That wiper writeup is perfect as to what I'm looking for. All of the heater core writeups deal with bullet birds

Tbird1044
02-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Let us know what you end up doing with the rubber on the skirts and how it works out. I am facing the same challenge. I bought some 3/32" pop rivets and will probably use them, however the head of the rivet is really small.
Also, just a heads up. Pressure test your heater core prior to installing. I got mine in and found out it was leaking at one of the solder joints. Maybe a small chance of this happening again, but it's much easier to test it prior to install.
Nyles

Djweaz
02-27-2017, 05:29 PM
I saw that in some other postings that the Mfg aren't testing them for QC. I'm thinking of doing the rivets looks like a good idea.
Let us know what you end up doing with the rubber on the skirts and how it works out. I am facing the same challenge. I bought some 3/32" pop rivets and will probably use them, however the head of the rivet is really small.
Also, just a heads up. Pressure test your heater core prior to installing. I got mine in and found out it was leaking at one of the solder joints. Maybe a small chance of this happening again, but it's much easier to test it prior to install.
Nyles

DKheld
02-27-2017, 06:45 PM
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/body/pics/rivet4.jpg

The old MG's that I work on have the same style splash shields and use rivets. Even though the rivets are brass? (probably an alloy) you get one good bend and that's it before they break.
Some folks also use washers along with the rivets.
Here's the article.
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/body/bd108b.htm

x2 on Joe's method if you could find the correct width stainless to make the staples and it didn't "un-bend".

Eric