PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control

mh434
02-24-2017, 03:31 AM
Morning all
First post on the forum so be gentle..! Thought you might be interested in the photos below. I purchased a 1960 hard top last November in the UK and in the boot were the original valve covers and air cleaner together with a small box of tricks that I can only assume is a cruise control controller. Presumably the plumbing on top of the valve cover is related to the cruise control. Very happy with the car but encountered the first issue last weekend. I went to close the drivers door but it wont catch, it just springs back open. hopefully nothing broken in the mechanism it just needs a bit of lubrication. Anyone else had the same problem ?
(hopefully the photos appear..!)

Jon

YellowRose
02-24-2017, 04:04 AM
Good Morning, Jon! I was about to call it a night here when I saw your post. Yes, the pix are showing, and they are sized correctly, so you got that right. As for the door, it could be a number of things. One might be lubrication, or adjustment. Hopefully, someone else will come along and be able to give you more information than that. John Pizzi ~ jopizz and Carl Heller ~ partsetal have called it a night, but should be back on in the morning. Both are good persons to get to know because they are two who knows so very much about Squarebirds. Either one of them should be able to tell you what to look for to fix that door. If it turns out you need parts, Carl has plenty of Squarebirds parts and ships all over the world. Should he not have what you might need, then look at the Advertisements Forum, if you have not already done so. There you will find all the major Tbird parts houses listed. If you don't have their free catalogs, email them and ask them to mail them to you. Your Squarebird looks really nice, but that is the weirdest set up I have ever seen attached to a valve cover! It certainly looks like it was some older type of cruise control system, but I have never seen one like that before! Hopefully, someone has! If you can find any manufacturing information on it, post it here. I can do some research for you tomorrow on it, if you can find a name and/or model number. G'Night!

Joe Johnston
02-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Also unusual is the device is mounted on a passenger side rocker cover. Obviously can be swapped side to side, but just sayin'...... Interesting item and definitely would like to learn what it is and how it operates.

jopizz
02-24-2017, 11:49 AM
I went to close the drivers door but it wont catch, it just springs back open. hopefully nothing broken in the mechanism it just needs a bit of lubrication. Anyone else had the same problem ?
Jon

Most likely the latch inside the door needs to be lubed. Try removing the top screw above the latch and shoot some penetrating oil in there. That usually does the trick.

John

Yadkin
02-24-2017, 08:46 PM
I'm subscribing to this thread because I've always been amazed that my '64 was available with cruise, yet the first car I ever saw with cruise was about 20 years newer.

Here's the wiring diagram for mine. I'd like to know what the mysterious "brain unit" is.

My apologies to admin for the big size of the "picture". A smaller size was not readable.

mh434
02-25-2017, 09:13 AM
John
Top tip regarding the door latch. It now works a treat thank you.
I have taken some more photos of the other bits which were left in the trunk (which I assume go with the cruise control) and I will post them on Monday. Must admit they do look like they have fallen off a washing machine!!

Jon

mh434
02-27-2017, 03:12 AM
so as promised, some further photos of what I believe to be bits of the cruise control setup. The micro switch has a lead that plugs into the three pin socket on the bit on the valve cover. The bellows, I have no idea...could even be part of a musical instrument for all I know..!!

YellowRose
02-27-2017, 03:56 AM
Jon, here is what I have been able to find out about Micro Switch Corp. I think they are still in business making many different micro switches. Micro Switch is a Manufacturing company, Tel is 815-235-5500, at 11 West Spring St, Freeport, Illinois. I will contact them tomorrow to see if they can give me any indication of what that unit might have been used on. I suspect not, but I will see.

Is that unit attached to the contraption that is attached to the valve cover? It looks like it might be attached to something. Have you been able to find ANY indication of who manufactured that contraption attached to the valve cover? If you have not done so, go over that thing with a fine tooth comb and see if you can find any model number or manufacturing name on it. Someone had to build that thing, and I hope it was not just something that some previous owner put together from a bunch of parts. I am headed to bed, and I will let you know if I make any headway on this later today. Thanks for the additional pix.

mh434
02-27-2017, 04:46 AM
Thanks Ray
I will have a bit more time at the weekend so I will have a closer look for any markings, but at the moment I cant see any. Funny but I had the same thought as you, did the original owner go down to radioshack and buy a bunch of parts...

Jon

YellowRose
02-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Jon, I just spoke with Micro Switch Corp, now known as Honeywell Corp! - 866-288-7272. The name changed many years ago. I talked with customer service. There is probably not much they can do to help us because that Micro Switch unit in the picture was just part of that contraption in the other pictures, or was not even related to whatever that is attached to that valve cover.. BUT, on the bottom of the picture is a Catalog Number. But, I cannot read that number. IF you can clean that unit up and read that Catalog Number, tell me what it is and that will help them trace back to see what that is and what it might have been used for. It would also help if you turn it around, look it over really good and see if you can find a Model Number...

mh434
02-27-2017, 09:51 AM
will do, I will spend some time on it at the weekend.

Jon

YellowRose
02-27-2017, 11:08 AM
You did not say if that Micro Switch was attached to that contraption on the valve cover. I gather that it is not, but if so, is it attached to anything else? I suspect we will never be able to find out what that thing is, or who made it, unless we can get a manufacturers name or model number off it. I suspect that Micro Switch might have been part of it to make it all work properly. It could just be a "Rube Goldberg" device that someone was trying to put together to get cruise control. Or something entirely different...

mh434
02-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Ray
The microswitch has a lead on it that plugs into the 3 pin socket that is on the end of the contraption in the first picture above. Current thinking is
1. cruise control
2. musical instrument
3. left over from Manhattan Project...!!

DKheld
02-27-2017, 11:49 AM
I was offered a job at micro-switch years (and years) ago. They only made switches which could be adapted for many uses. Also sold to other manufactures who used the micro-switches as part of their product rather than making their own switch.

Dude (or Dude-ette) must of been related to me as much as I like using cruise control - either that or they did a lot of interstate driving.

Wires usually go to the brake light circuit so that stepping on the brake produces voltage to the "contraption" and disengages the cruise.

Very cool - yep - probably a rocket scientist fooling around in the garage. :D

Eric

YellowRose
02-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Hi Eric! I was surprised when I was told that Honeywell used to be Micro Switch. I think when I asked when did this switch occur they said many years ago. Then after doing some research, I found that Honeywell was started back in 1885, and formally founded in 1906. Along the way, it bought up Micro Switch from the reading I did. I have not found that date yet.

Jon, I think you might have hit the nail on the head with your thought that thing might have been left over from the Manhattan Project! :eek:

mh434
03-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Ray
I have a couple more photos that I will post on Monday. I did get the catalog number of the micro switch . It's WZE-RQX2

Jon

YellowRose
03-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Hi Jon! Thanks for the catalog number. I will call them and see what they can tell me about it.

mh434
03-04-2017, 12:25 PM
A few other bits of info for you Ray. There is a shut off valve attached to the diaphragm on the valve cover. It is stamped Valcor eng corp part no v5000-41. A quick google and apparently its often used as a shut off valve for gas turbines ..! Also another bit of kit is stamped R H Thorner Patents. Some digging throws up several patents in the 60's for "automotive speed control apparatus". Pics to follow
Jon

YellowRose
03-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Hi Jon, I googled what you posted and it certainly looks like someone was trying to put together some off the wall concoction for speed control! I looked at several of the pdf files by R H Thorner. I saw the dates on some of that patent information was back in the 50's and 60's..

mh434
03-06-2017, 03:11 AM
Ray
some more photos for you. I don't think we will ever get to the bottom of this unless someone comes along with a similar setup.! I'm hoping the pictures come up in the same order that I'm describing them.
1, 2 & 3 are the bits marked RH Thorner Patents. looks to be some sort of vacuum driven worm drive, I originally thought it was something to do with the old vacuum wiper drive ?
4 is a better view of the microswitch
5 is the shut off valve which can been seen in picture 6.
The microswitch three pin plug also attaches to the end of the valve. A quick google of the valve reference and they are commonly used as fuel shut off valves for gas turbine engines.! You can just make out that the fixings on the end cover of the valve are wired to prevent them coming loose. Common practice in the aircraft industry.

Jon

YellowRose
03-06-2017, 03:21 AM
Hi Jon, thanks for the additional pix. I will see what I can track down tomorrow, but I really do think we are looking at something that someone was trying to use as a speed control unit... That is all I can think of.

mh434
03-06-2017, 03:29 AM
Ray

I'm of the same opinion. I would like to put it back on (NOT CONNECTED.!) as it makes quite a talking point...

Jon

YellowRose
03-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Hi Jon, I would not install it on the car, even though it does not work, I think I would sit it on top the car or the air cleaner, at S&S events, just to see if someone walks up and says..."Hey, I know that is! That is a Thingamajig" that does....". Later today, I will get back into research on manufacture and model numbers and see if I can find out more about the components...

mh434
03-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Good call.

YellowRose
03-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Jon, I contacted Valcor Eng. Corp today regarding that shut off valve in the picture. They told me that particular shut off valve was meant for aircraft use, like the Micro Switch, and not for use on a car. They told me that they are also a division of Honeywell! It appears that some previous owner had a bunch of spare parts, some from aircraft, and was trying to create whatever that is out of them. Speed control might be as good a guess as any. This is about all I can do to try and identify the true use of these components. My previous suggestion might be something you may want to do. Display it and see who says anything about it, and what. It certainly is an oddity.

DKheld
03-07-2017, 07:15 PM
I love the idea of leaving it on as a curiosity. I'm sure it will generate a lot of interest.

Maybe it's an early Flux Capacitor and the first time you hit the road with the car you will find yourself back in 1960 ! :D

Eric

mh434
03-08-2017, 02:55 AM
1.21 Gigawatts...!!!! Ha....now that is funny...it would mean having to get it upto 88 miles an hour though.......on drum brakes...!!!! And who's gonna make a time machine...out of a Thunderbird.!
Ray, thank you so much for you time doing the research. I will proudly display the wotchamathingy with a notice saying "Remains unidentified by the best of the Thunderbird community"..... Hang on though, just had a thought.....maybe its from Roswell !

YellowRose
03-08-2017, 03:19 AM
Hi Jon, lol... Well, we gave it a good shot, but as I suspected, we were not able to come up with anything to ID it. Except to be told that some of the components were made for aircraft. Maybe someone was trying to add wings to that thang! lol.. If you ever run across someone who really knows what that thang is, I sure would like to know! Good luck with your Tbird!

sidewalkman
03-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Whatever it is, someone went through a lot of time and trouble to create it.

dgs
03-11-2017, 06:27 PM
1.21 Gigawatts...!!!! Ha....now that is funny...it would mean having to get it upto 88 miles an hour though.......on drum brakes...!!!! And who's gonna make a time machine...out of a Thunderbird.!

You'll need a EB Enterprises 121G (http://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor.html), but they aren't available right now. :D