View Full Version : Rear spring shackles

01-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Is there a Ford expert that can help me find the correct rear spring shackles for my 1958 Tbird. Before I bought the car the rear suspension was changed to leaf springs. Supposedly the rear end is a 9" Ford with a 1964 data code. I tried NAPA for a full sized Ford and they are too wide. They could not find a shackle that matches what is in this car. The specs are:
Bolt size 1/2"
Bushing outside diameter 7/8"
Inside width 2 7/16"
Distance between centers of bolts 2 1/2"

Does someone know a place where I can search for shackles this size?

01-09-2017, 03:23 PM
The fact that it's a Ford rear has nothing to do with the springs and shackles. If they are aftermarket springs you will probably not find the correct shackles and bushings listed under Ford. A 7/8" OD bushing does not sound like a standard Ford size. My suggestion is to search for companies that sell aftermarket springs and look through their catalogs. Unless your springs have a company name and part number it will probably take some searching to find the correct ones. Most companies that sell aftermarket springs will have shackle kits of various sizes.

01-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Dennis, give Tom McVeigh (989) 826-3682 at McVeigh Truck Springs a call and tell him what you have. He might be able to help. They sell a lot of spring stuff for our Tbirds. Tell him that you are a member of Squarebirds.org Forum and I suggested you call him. Make sure you tell him it is a '58 Squarebird that had coil springs that was converted to leaf springs, like the '59 and '60 Squarebirds.

01-09-2017, 03:36 PM
I went back and measured the inside of the spring eye and it is 13/16" The springs are 2" wide. It appears this rear end was put in as a unit and not custom springs. But I will check the custom spring websites. I was hoping on even finding a universal shackle the correct size, but no, luck yet. thsnks for the idea.

01-09-2017, 03:59 PM
If this is a clue at all, here is a photo of the rear spring hanger.

01-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Thanks Ray, Tom is going through his bins to try to find something that matches the specs. I will let you know when I hear back from him. What would we do without you!

Happy New Year

01-09-2017, 07:15 PM
If this is a clue at all, here is a photo of the rear spring hanger.

Looks very similar to the '58 Ford Custom 300 springs in my '37 Ford hot-rod only (from memory, will have to check!) the eyes are rolled upwards, not down like yours