PDA

View Full Version : Lower Control arm problems

Brad94
09-24-2016, 05:41 PM
Hi there. I'm trying to rebuilt the front end on my 65 tbird. I bought the kit from A resto-parts. My problem is I can't get the lower control arm bushings in. Has any one had the same problem and we're should I go to get quality replacements that will actually fit? Thanks for the help!
Brad94

simplyconnected
09-25-2016, 02:11 AM
Brad, I need more info. Here is your suspension:
http://squarebirds.org/images_FrontSuspension/1963-4FrtSusp.jpg
How far did you get and what are you having trouble with? Are you following the Shop Manual's instructions? Did you take pictures during disassembly? Are you changing ALL the bushings?

If I read your post correctly, you cannot get the lower arm's bushing in (Ref:3069). This bushing is pressed in and it has a definite stop. When you pressed the original bushing out, this should be self-evident.

Your car's suspension pivots on urethane, not steel. That means the bushings' mounting bolts are tight and they do not allow the bushing's inner sleeves to rotate.

Bushings have sheet metal outer shells that are used for an 'interference' fit which means the outer shell does not rotate either. The urethane does. I've never heard of a bushing that simply won't go in, purchased from any vendor. - Dave