PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes got a bit hot....

64 birdle
09-11-2016, 10:56 PM
I drove down little cottonwood canyon UT (About 8 miles) and the brakes started getting hot and a bit of brake smell. (40 MPH and under trying to stay slow) and after getting out of the canyon a loud HISSING started from the back right. Sounded like a tire got punctured and was blowing the air out fast. I pulled over and it was coming from the RR behind the tire. A bit of smoke came out as well, but it was not the tire. Of course the brakes performance changed and started pulling to the left a bit. Seems the brake booster was not working since I had to push harder to stop. I made it home OK (Slowly just in case) My question is... What in the world was all of that air blowing out??? I am sure I need to replace a brake line but what was all of that loud hissing? Sounded like a big ball letting all of its air out but the tire is fine... Maybe brake fluid shooting out onto hot drum brake pads?

Yadkin
09-12-2016, 10:45 AM
My guess is that you had a fire inside the brake drum. Probably started from leaked brake fluid or leaked differential fluid. When the wheel seal leaks it drips over the backing plate and bleeds out onto the cooling flange of the drum, outside of the wearing surface.

64 birdle
09-12-2016, 10:18 PM
What in the world??? I just went out and drove it around the neighborhood and the brakes work perfectly.... I am extremely happy but... WHY? I was expecting a few hundred or more to fix it... Too cool!

bird 60
09-13-2016, 03:30 AM
Don't take it for granted that it's OK now. Take the wheel off & inspect. My guess is a punctured Rubber Brake Hose. The hissing probably from the very hot drum with the brake fluid landing on it.

Chris.....From OZ.

Yadkin
09-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Of course they would still work. But the important thing is, if you suspect a problem with your brakes, check it out.

64 birdle
09-13-2016, 07:23 PM
I will! Thanks all!

Yadkin
09-13-2016, 09:16 PM
Do you have front disks? If not, try using 2nd gear down long inclines like that. Just keep it above 25mph or so to avoid downshifting into first. I do a lot of mountain driving here, and have smoked the front drums before I remembered the old way of driving drum brake cars- let the engine slow you down. After I converted to front disks, no more worries.

64 birdle
09-14-2016, 07:04 PM
Yep I did use 2nd gear but it was too steep and revving the engine a bit to high for my liking... (4 people out for a canyon cruise) Cars behind me right on my rear end... Should have pulled over for a bit here and there. I'd rather have a burnt brakes than a burnt engine any day! You all are great! I need to convert over to discs asap!!!

Yadkin
09-14-2016, 07:25 PM
These were performance cars of the day. With some inexpensive conversions, they still can be.

simplyconnected
09-15-2016, 12:30 AM
Brakes and downshifting aren't the only help for slowing down.

Robin & I drove US-191 from the Grand Tetons into Jackson Hole and we encountered one of those long and steep ten mile downhill grades. My Ford car is a stick but we were pulling a trailer full of camping gear.

It so happened that there was an official rodeo in Jackson that weekend so much of the traffic included horse people. Immediately ahead of us was a brand new Silverado pulling a double horse trailer. All we could smell was that sickening overheated brake odor from that truck as he rode his brakes the entire way down. I don't know if the trailer brakes or the truck brakes or both were trashed.

I downshifted but it wasn't enough, the car kept gaining speed at a rapid pace. Then I turned on every electrical thing I could, rolled the windows down and set the A/C to max cold. That did it. I only had to touch the brakes about once every five minutes. There was NO consequences, the brakes never overheated and the car still runs just fine.

I laughed when we got to the bottom of that mountain range. The first business coming into town was a Brake Shop. - Dave

Yadkin
09-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Using your alternator and AC compressor to slow down. Brilliant! :)