PDA

View Full Version : Where does this wire go

PLTO6
08-03-2016, 12:48 PM
The wire is green/red and comes off the volt regulator I plug and goes to the ignition switch, my question is where does this wire connect to the switch on the side plug are in the wiring harness

simplyconnected
08-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Are we talking about a '64 T-bird? If so, this should be your schematic:

http://www.squarebirds.org/Diagrams-Schematics/1958-1968_Wiring_Diagrams/Thumbnails/64TbirdWiringDiagramLeft.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/Diagrams-Schematics/1958-1968_Wiring_Diagrams/Thumbnails/64TbirdWiringDiagramRight.jpg

The Green-Red wire is connected to the (separate regulator) 'S' terminal.
The 'I' terminal is normally used for your dash (GEN) light.

Examine the electrical schematics in our Technical Resource Library. If you have questions, please ask. I'm trying to understand your question because it isn't a sentence:
"my question is where does this wire connect to the switch on the side plug are in the wiring harness "

- Dave

PLTO6
08-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Yes, it's a 1964 tbird, The Green-Red wire is connected to the (separate regulator) I terminal. Then it goes to the ignition switch, where on the ignition switch does it connect

simplyconnected
08-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Please read my post:

...The Green-Red wire is connected to the (separate regulator) 'S' terminal.
The 'I' terminal is normally used for your dash (GEN) light...

Your ignition switch is a 'plug-in style. Ford made the connections non-negotiable, to prevent mistakes.

The purpose of your Green-Red wire is to turn on the regulator and alternator when the key is turned on. In other words, it shuts your charging system OFF with the key switch.

Four cylinder (2.0L) '63 Fords had a GEN light in the dash with a Light Green-Red wire that went to the 'I' terminal of the regulator. You said your car is a T-bird so this info does not apply. So... LtGrn-Red does NOT connect to the key sw. - Dave

PLTO6
08-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Dave
I understand now and thanks for your help.
Boyd