PDA

View Full Version : Structural cross-bar

HighwayThunder
06-09-2016, 10:21 AM
There's a heavy cross-bar that fits under the car at the base of the firewall. The bar has a bend in it (by design). (see attached photo)

Does anyone know the proper orientation for the bar? Should the larger bolt holes go on the right or on the left?

Thanks.

simplyconnected
06-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Why on earth would you need a bar spreading across the bottom of the body???

I could understand a 'K' brace at the top, between strut towers because they would tend to 'fold in' under very extreme conditions. Thunderbirds don't have that problem.

If the bolt holes are larger on one end then it should only fit one way. - Dave

Yadkin
06-09-2016, 04:30 PM
It has to be installed after the engine and transmission are in, then it will only fit one way. I forget which way, and my car is in the shop. :(

Yadkin
06-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Why on earth would you need a bar spreading across the bottom of the body???

It adds a tremendous amount of structural rigidity, since it turns the upside-down U shape of the section at the fire wall into a box. It is, by far, the heaviest gauge steel used in the structure.

HighwayThunder
06-09-2016, 05:32 PM
If the bolt holes are larger on one end then it should only fit one way. - Dave

I think the larger bolt holes are to allow for some tolerance in the fit, as the bolt size is actually the same on both sides.

jopizz
06-09-2016, 07:02 PM
The larger holes go on the driver side according to the parts diagram.

John

Yadkin
06-09-2016, 07:11 PM
I was only about 75% sure but as usual John nailed it. The bend is towards the engine, making room for the lower bellhousing of the transmission.

HighwayThunder
06-10-2016, 08:08 AM
Thanks to everyone for the assistance!

Cheers,