PDA

View Full Version : Door latch conversion on a '64

Yadkin
03-18-2016, 09:17 AM
I had planned to install a remote unlocking system in my car when I did the assembly, but had a difficult time figuring out how to do so.

My passenger side door has been sticking a bit, so I searched for a replacement mechanism on ebay. I've had so much trouble with aftermarket parts not fitting, that I decided to look for good used parts whenever possible. I found these and now it looks like I can kill two birds with one stone.

Yadkin
03-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Since my car has few factory options I never knew about this vacuum operated system. A push-pull vacuum motor! It will be easy to convert this to electric, now that I have the control rod and cam.

Yadkin
03-18-2016, 09:22 AM
That little electric switch is apparently for a "door ajar" indication. I'd like to find replacement switches to get that system to work.

stubbie
03-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Steve I had a link somewhere for electric solenoids for the doors that other people had used with success. Cant find it at the moment but will post it when I find it.

I think this was it
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8931&hilit=remote+door+locks

Yadkin
03-20-2016, 10:23 PM
I bought that system earlier if couldn't figure out how to adapt it to my latches. With this vaccum type the adaptation should be straightforward. It it a push-pull just like the vacuum, and the travel is a out the same.