PDA

View Full Version : Holley 4bbl LIST 1273-2 Rebuildable Core For Sale

del
01-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Greetings All ~
On Saturday I acquired a station wagon full of spare parts from the previous owner of a 1960 and 1957. Lots of odds & ends & rusty bits - still sorting through to see what I can use for my '60 - this Holley carb was part of the lot.

As best I call tell the LIST number seems to indicate it could be a later edition of the 1273-1 for the 1957 ? I'm trying to identify what car it would fit and would the ding / dent in pic 4 make suitable only for the scrap pile? Any help would be most appreciated.

Happy New Year!

simplyconnected
01-12-2016, 02:10 AM
What are the bolt hole centers? We use a 4" square.

Joe Johnston
01-12-2016, 08:41 AM
The '57 and later "B" intake manifold used this rectangular bolt pattern. This carb should fit the "B" manifold and the air cleaner as well since the fuel inlet is not at the top edge of the fuel bowl. It will not fit the older "A" manifolds. I do not know if it is "correct" by the numbers though. If it doesn't leak, it should work.

del
01-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Bolt hole centers are are approx 5 1/4" side to side and 5 1/2" front to back

jopizz
01-12-2016, 01:06 PM
All the Ford Holleys that I have seen have a Ford part number stamped on them. It should have either a ECZ, EDB, ECJ or similar or a B7AE 9510. That doesn't mean it won't work.

John

del
01-12-2016, 07:24 PM
I don't see anything like those code numbers. Another odd thing is that the last listed patent number places it around 1960.

del
01-12-2016, 07:29 PM
The '57 and later "B" intake manifold used this rectangular bolt pattern. This carb should fit the "B" manifold and the air cleaner as well since the fuel inlet is not at the top edge of the fuel bowl. It will not fit the older "A" manifolds. I do not know if it is "correct" by the numbers though. If it doesn't leak, it should work.

Hi Joe - Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the B manifold - can you educate me? Thanks!

Joe Johnston
01-12-2016, 08:08 PM
can you educate me?
I'll give it a shot.

In short, the "B" is the last character in the cast part number on the intake, just as the earlier intakes had the letter "A" cast onto the part. Just a quick way to distinguish and talk about the the intakes and to make a reference for the bolt pattern for the carbs. The B intake is "supposed" to flow a little better than an A, and in general the B is considered to be more desirable because a more modern carburetor can be directly bolted on with the bolt pattern you mentioned instead of the 4" square base of the earlier Haystack Holley carbs. A carb adapter can be used to put a later carb on an A intake, but most just change the intake to the later style. Log onto Ebay and search for these intakes and you should see examples of the A and the B styles.

Many guys also upgrade their distributors to the 57 and later styles and then use the B intake with a newer carb for better drive-ability and performance. That being said, a properly built square base Holley on an A intake with the distributor that works with the square base Holley, will work well. The systems do not mix and match well and the general consensus is the later design distributor with the B intake are better performers.

Your rectangular based Holley carb will fit the B intake, not the older A intake. This Holley is old enough to have the intake lower on the side of the fuel bowl and is very similar to the 57 Thunderbird unit. It could be a universal replacement unit from the period. The numbers will have to be decoded to learn the application, but it will work as the carb does not know if the engine is in a Thunderbird or a 60 sedan. Later Holley carbs have the fuel inlet at the top of the fuel bowl and the inlet fittings hit the base of the aircleaner unless a special adapter is used (or a hammer to the base).

Hope that helps more than confuses. Glad to answer any questions if I can.

del
01-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Thanks Joe!

paul274854
01-16-2016, 10:22 PM
From the Holley list that I have, the specific number you show is not listed but there is a List 1273-2AAS that is listed and it is for a 57-58 Ford Merc, Tbird 312.

All the 1273 carbs listed are for the same year cars - 57-58 Fords and Mercs.

del
01-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks to all who have helped to identify this carb. Based on the information provided below (or above...depending on how you view the forums ;)) this carb is for 57-58 Ford incl TBird or Merc with 312 engine and B intake manifold. See the pictures for all the various numbers. Note in pictures 1 and 3 the small tube on the right is no longer connected where it should be. Update on mount measurements - 5 1/8" side-to-side, 5 5/8" front-to-back

$40/OBO + shipping. Weight will be 15 lbs from 14226

Please PM with any questions. Be happy to do in-hand over the phone inspection. I have no idea as to condition otherwise, and the PO can't help in that dept either. Offered strictly as is.

del
02-06-2016, 12:08 PM
$25 + shipping 15#. It will "just" fit into a large USPS flat rate priority box which is $18.75

PM for details

del
02-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Sold!
Thanks guys for the help with identification.