PDA

View Full Version : Front disc conversion

Yadkin
11-30-2015, 04:04 PM
I see John Draxler has a kit for '58 to '64 for just under $600. It looks like the drum comes off and the disk goes on. I looks like the only "special" part is a plate that somehow attaches to the existing spindle.

Are there other kits out there? I haven't been able to find one.

stubbie
12-06-2015, 10:04 PM
You could try these 2 links
http://abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset014.html

http://www.autocityclassic.com/fullsize-ford/

simplyconnected
12-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Stubby, Autocity has NO kit for a Squarebird. If the booster is the one in the picture, it won't work at all because there is no firewall bracket and it's not a two-stage 8" booster. - Dave

stubbie
12-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Steve runs a 64 Flairbird Dave. And this kit or a kit they sell definately fits a 63.
This is one for full size Fords that comes with the following.
You will receive with this kit:
1 POWER BRAKE BOOSTER WITH FIREWALL BRACKETS AND CLEVIS ROD
1 DUAL BOWL MASTER CYLINDER
2 CALIPERS WITH PADS AND MOUNTING BRACKETS
2 RUBBER BRAKE HOSES
1 PROPORTIONING VALVE WITH BRACKETS AND LINES
2 ROTORS drilled and slotted with an anodized finish
ALL BEARINGS, SEALS, AND HARDWARE

simplyconnected
12-08-2015, 01:11 AM
Yes Stubbie, those are all the essentials but...

What size booster is it?
What's the bore (piston size) of the M/C?
What type of brake calipers and pads?
What diameter rotors? I like the cross-drilled (or slotted) rotors but I do not like the anodize coating.
What size bearings and seals?

Furthermore, I want to know if these parts are 'special' or can I buy them over the counter when I'm broke down 200 miles from home. If the parts are commonly used production, then that broadens my choices and it usually brings the prices down because of supply and demand.

Special parts would be for example, rotors that have their snouts machined to accept common wheels. To replace them would be a headache.

The 1964 Thunderbird came with drum brakes but the 1965 Thunderbird came with disk brakes. I would investigate using the '65 parts because they are so common that different pad hardness is available.

He might have a good deal but I don't like buying blindly. I've been burned too many times. I get real cautious when a vendor doesn't show his prices or doesn't show particulars about his products. There's usually a good reason for these sales tactics. - Dave

Lazybird
12-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Have seen these kits online as well,

https://www.thunderbirdbrakeparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=609

https://www.thunderbirdbrakeparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=697

I am certain you swapped to a dual mc already. I have been pondering this and keeping eye out for a 65 66 parts car.

Yadkin
12-09-2015, 02:03 PM
The 1964 Thunderbird came with drum brakes but the 1965 Thunderbird came with disk brakes. I would investigate using the '65 parts because they are so common that different pad hardness is available. I thought so but thanks for the confirmation. I "have" two parts cars at my local yard that may be 65-66. What will I need to pull from them?

simplyconnected
12-09-2015, 10:37 PM
If you have the whole car, take everything you need including the spindle. Then you won't need that expensive fabricated bracket and any replacement parts will be FORD. - Dave

Yadkin
12-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Both of "my" parts cars are 64's, so that ends that possibility.

stubbie
12-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Hi Steve
I spoke to a guy the other day who said he was wrecking a 66. I think he was in Washington. He was only going to keep the engine and trash the rest. I actually told him to keep as many parts as possible especially the disk brake parts from this car as people are looking to buy them to upgrade earlier models. If your interested I can PM him and see if he is interested in selling and then you could deal direct with him.
Cheers Phil

Yadkin
12-18-2015, 08:08 AM
That would be awesome Phil, thanks!

YellowRose
12-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Phil, if you talk with the guy parting out the '66, you might suggest to him that he can get a lot more money from parting out that Tbird instead of just junking it. He can either join this Forum and list it as being parted out and him willing to ship parts. Or he can provide me with the information on this car and his contact info and I can post it for him. Also, you might suggest to him that if he has not done so already, he can register it at http://www.tbirdregistry.com and register it as a Tbird that is being parted out. At least we will have a record of that happened to that Tbird.

stubbie
12-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Ok Ray I will pass that on. I sent him a pm today but he hasn't answered me at this point.
Cheers

Yadkin
01-09-2016, 10:29 AM
After looking some more I found tomsclassic, an ebay store. http://stores.ebay.com/tomsclassic/

He had a kit with the following items:

1 pair standard rotors
1- pair new in the box calipers and semi metallic pads
1- complete set of mounting hardware. caliper brackets with bolts., rubber hoses, banjo bolts, bearings and seals.

He had it on sale for $375 plus about $60 shipping and I "watched" it for three weeks until it was "ending soon". Ebay sends an email out to watchers a few hours before an offer ends, and I picked up my email too late. So I looked through the rest of his store and he had a new offer, same item for $375 with free economy shipping.

Click, ordered.

stubbie
01-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Hi Steve
Sorry but for some reason that guy never got back to me about that 66 he was parting out. I'm not sure why. Maybe he went on vacation or something.

Yadkin
01-12-2016, 01:10 PM
No problem this looks like a great deal, will keep all updated.

Yadkin
01-12-2016, 05:41 PM
The kit came in and looks to be complete except for a proportioning valve. Do I need an adjustable P valve? This one is set for front disc/ rear drum and should work for me.

http://www.tuffstuffperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=8514/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd8514.htm

Yadkin
01-12-2016, 11:01 PM
With my set-up that unit will contact the spring tower, plus I'll have to put a tee in the line to service the brake light switch. SSBC has a simple one line in, one out rear only unit, on sale directly through them for $36. #A0707

simplyconnected
01-13-2016, 01:33 AM
How can a two-port valve possibly do real proportioning? It can't. This #A0707 is simply a flow control valve that doesn't do half the jobs a real combination prop valve does.

It can't meter and it can't shut off the line with a rupture. No electrical warning light, either. This thing simply 'pinches off' the output to slow flow. It doesn't reduce pressure. - Dave

Yadkin
01-14-2016, 10:10 AM
According to the manufacturer:

The adjustable, anodized proportioning valve regulates rear brake pressure, helping to maintain correct brake bias between front and rear brakes. The easy to turn handle with directional handles makes it simple to either increase or decrease rear brake pressure.

Yadkin
01-21-2016, 08:33 AM
The center hub on the new rotors, which centers the wheel, is a different size than on the old drums. Old is 2.38", new is about 2.47". This speeds up my purchase of new wheels. Coker's "Thunderbird Wire Wheels" have a hub diameter of 2.52". They are sending me one bare wheel to test fit. I chose the wheel from a '65, since the backspace is 3.5", vs the '64 wheel which is 4".

Yadkin
02-04-2016, 09:18 PM
I've been super busy at work (which is a good thing financially) so had Classic Metal in Mocksville do the conversion. Here's some photos of the finished product.

Joe did a nice job fabricating a bracket for the proportioning valve.

Wingman65
02-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Looking good. Who's kit is this?

Yadkin
02-10-2016, 11:11 PM
See post 14.

GeoffInCarlsbad
06-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Hi Yadkin:

If I cannot get past this current brake issue, I am seriously considering to convert to Front Disc Brakes as well. I just checked out the conversion kit from Tom's Classics store on eBay and it looks like the way to go.

Do I need to also replace my Brake Booster and Master Cylinder? I see from your pics those look new.

Any other parts I need to consider when doing this conversion?

Regards,

~geoff

Yadkin
06-22-2016, 04:38 PM
If you have a single master cylinder then you should replace it with a dual master regardless of conversion to front disks. Disc brakes need a larger volume of fluid in the reservoir, so you need a compatible master.

larrysAutomotive
06-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on the abs power brake fnt brake conversion kit . Pos/neg. they want 1095.00 plus 65.00 for the p valve . Are there better kits out there that are complete ?

jopizz
06-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Most who have done the conversion on a squarebird use Scarebird brackets and off the shelf parts such as Mustang rotors and Chevy S-10 calipers. Look in the Technical Resource Library under Disc Brake Conversion. You will find all the information there. Especially look in Marcelo's thread. You can certainly buy all-in-one kits but you will wind up paying a lot more money.

John