PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning unit

stubbie
10-30-2015, 09:52 PM
I removed my air conditioning unit yesterday in my 64 Tbird without removing the dash. So for anyone looking at doing this it is possible to do.

torpedo
11-21-2015, 11:39 AM
I removed my air conditioning unit yesterday in my 64 Tbird without removing the dash. So for anyone looking at doing this it is possible to do.

Hi , I hope you or someone could help. Recently I purchased an A/C thermostatic switch control unit as my original was faulty. It turns out it was the vacuum. As I was removing the original I found it very hard to remove the capillary, at one point it stopped so I did not pull any further. For fear of any damage what I did was detach the switch from the vacuum and replace. My question is can the capillary be removed and how difficult is it. I have a 64 T-bird
Thanks you help is appreciated

jopizz
11-21-2015, 12:26 PM
I've never tried it but according to the shop manual it sounds like it can be done.

John

torpedo
11-21-2015, 01:04 PM
I've never tried it but according to the shop manual it sounds like it can be done.

John
Thanks John, at this point I left the original switch but changed the vacuum unit, a little work but at least I left things the way they were. Took apart the original Vacuum found it had a hairline crack. Hope this all works .
Thanks

torpedo
12-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Hi , I hope you or someone could help. Recently I purchased an A/C thermostatic switch control unit as my original was faulty. It turns out it was the vacuum. As I was removing the original I found it very hard to remove the capillary, at one point it stopped so I did not pull any further. For fear of any damage what I did was detach the switch from the vacuum and replace. My question is can the capillary be removed and how difficult is it. I have a 64 T-bird
Thanks you help is appreciated

Further to this can someone please indicate which wire is attached to which terminal. Looking at the thermostatic switch it looks like the black wire goes on the bottom (vacuum) end and the brown goes on the top (capillary) end of the switch. I don't want to blow the switch if they are placed on the wrong terminals. There is no indication which wire goes to which terminal. If someone could help that would be much appreciated. Thanks

jopizz
12-04-2015, 02:14 AM
Here's the wiring diagram. #182 is the brown wire and #347 is the black wire.

John

simplyconnected
12-04-2015, 05:04 AM
John's diagram shows the switch as nothing more than positive power going through a set of contacts that open and close, which turns the compressor's electromagnet on and off. Keep these wires away from ground or you will blow a fuse. It's not important that the switch bracket be grounded either.

The path is complete at the electromagnet because it has one side already going to ground, internally.

There are several posts regarding capillary bulbs and how they can be repaired on the Internet. Maybe YouTube has some as well. It happens that some 'mechanical' gauges need a longer capillary tube or some get cut by mistake. HERE is one such repair site. (http://www.sunzeri.com/Stearman/tempgauge.htm) - Dave

torpedo
12-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks Gents